Fatality on PCH at Newport Coast.

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Sweetpea, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
  2. Skid Row

Skid Row Member

This is sad news. My prayers for their family and friends. Unbelievable figure mentioned in the article... 62 deaths related to cycling this year in Socal, and 8th for OC. Sobering.

3. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    That is Horrible..

62nd cycling fatality in Southern California this year <---- This is overwhelming.

4. suicidesam

suicidesam New Member

no bueno...

5. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    I could not agree with you more. Why are we encouraging people to speed through a right turn that is frequented by cyclists and pedestrians. It is just plain stupid. It has got to go.

6. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    My deepest condolences to the victim and her family & friends.
    I am so angry to read yet another story like this. Please, for once, unless this is determined conclusively to have been purely the fault of the cyclist, I hope appropriate charges are filed and a serious penalty imposed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  7. dpmod

dpmod New Member

For those that are interested, and all should be, there is a Bicycle Planning Commission meeting for the City of Newport Beach next Tuesday at 5:00 p.m. at City Hall in Newport Beach. Newport Beach has had more then its share of cycling fatalities over the years and this occurs nearly one year after those two ladies were killed around this time last year. So instead of just posting comments, show up and express your concerns in person. We as cyclists need to start standing up for our rights by beginning to show up more and more at these type of meetings and voicing our concerns in person and out loud. Hope to see as many cyclists there as possible!

8. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Crap.... I saw the aftermath of this as I drove home yesterday. I turned left onto PCH from Newport Coast and saw a dozen or more police vehicles and a crumpled bike. I did not stop or stare for fear of contributing to another problem. When I drove past the same location this morning, I saw all of the markings that police use for accident investigation. When I went by this afternoon, I didn't see the tell-tale flowers, crosses and other tributes so I had hope that the cyclist survived.

I am soooo frustrated at the fatality rate of road cycling. This crossover is dangerous - I've approached that right turn lane at 60 mph and noticed cyclists trying to judge the time to crossover. Being a fellow cyclist I slow down and signal to the rider and block traffic a little if I can. There is a similar section on Newport Coast where there is a two lane freeway entrance to the right for the 73. Scary section for bikes.

My heart goes out to family, friends and those affected by yet another tragic death. Please be overly cautious out there as cyclists AND as drivers. We are all one distracted moment away from being that driver, and one miscalculation away from being that cyclist.

9. allenpg

allenpg Member

Associate Creative Director - Copy
    Home Page:
    Sad story...I ride this route at 2x a week. I almost always head up NPC though vs going straight on PCH. Ironically, when I go right I take the lane. Maybe it's just the Chicagoan in me, but I don't mind taking up part of the right lane on a multi-lane road. In IL it's legal, have no idea in CA. I've also seen how this time of year folks just going to beach are more inattentive than the locals. The time this accident occurred is a common time for folks to leave the beach and head home. I personally like this route in Jan. when it's in the upper-50s along the coast. It's a ghost town and I light my bike up like a Christmas tree. That still doesn't protect you from drunks or texters though.

10. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Yes, it's legal here too and strongly encouraged in many situations, though our vague CA vehicle code states that cyclists should ride as far to the right "as practicable." Go ahead and try to figure that one out. And keep in mind that most CA drivers aren't used to that sort of behavior from most cyclists and don't understand that it is legal.

11. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    It's my feeling the traffic engineers haven't spend much time on a bike in these lanes. Certainly some "Yield to Cyclists!" signs could help alert drivers and legitimize our presence there. I personally hate being told I should ride in a narrow corridor with vehicles going 60 mph on either side of me.

12. wheeler

wheeler Member

"62nd cycling fatality in Southern California this year"

WOW!!!!!

13. Formu1fan

Formu1fan Slow Down, Slower Up

Environmental Scientist
    I don't want to dissuade anyone from going to the meeting, (by all means do go!), but PCH is a state highway, which means that Caltrans is in charge of all planning and construction on the highway. Cities can do their own improvements on the highway, but not with out Caltrans review approval and oversight.

When I was working in Caltrans' planning department, I worked with the only bicycle planner in the county. Unfortunately, bike planning wasn't his full time duty and couldn't devote enough time to it. On top of that, with budget cuts, Caltrans is reluctant (because people in the OC want their freeways improved) to do any work for bikes. I know because I helped work on bike planning for PCH in HB. I worked out the best bike intersection for PCH along HB, but I was told that the chances of it being put in place are slim to none in the near future. It reaaaaaaaaaally sucked being a cyclist and not being able to do anything to improve safety.

Anyways, I just wanted to give my view on this. Please don't turn this into a political argument about budgets or whatever, but also note that improving bike access in OC on state routes will be difficult.

My condolences go out to the family. No one should have to suffer through that.

14. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I'm of this ilk. At least I was while I road on the pavement much...
    You need to be aware of what your effect upon traffic is. Nothing does cycling more harm than someone unnecessarily asserting their right to "ride in the lane".
    That said, I'd rather get honked at by the occasional a-hole than run over by a clueless driver who doesn't know I'm there.
    also, I would be more inclined to ride the shoulder/bike land if they were the least bit safe and clean ;)

Remember, the laws of physics trump the laws of the highway and bikes ALWAYS lose when pitted against cars.

15. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech

A large number of those deaths were result of rider error too, but they were still deaths. Also, the number of people riding on the road is increasing every year, so there will inevitably be more wrecks and even deaths. The article does not specify if all of these deaths were only on the road. That number could encompass all cycling deaths, including MTB.

16. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    How many MtB deaths are attributed to crashing? I am guessing near 0. The ones I've read about were heart attacks, so I am not sure they count as "cycling deaths." I appreciate that you are trying to explain the number as unfortunate and natural collateral damage, but the fact is, road cycling is probably the most deadly recreational/athletic activity in So Cal.

Please be ridiculously careful out there as drivers and roadies!!!

17. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    That is terrible! makes me look at my road bike and keep looking at it.

18. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    This is beyond tragic..so many lives..so many people impacted..I"m really enjoying my road bike these days...but I'm getting more scared each time...prayers and thoughts to those who've lost a loved one or had one injured :(

19. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    This is from April Morris, one of the instigators of the Newport Beach Memorial Ride and the activities that followed it. Here is her report on what Newport Beach has done and the need for people to appear at next Tuesday's hearing at City Hall:

Which brings me around to some updates on the punch list that we provided to the City of Newport Beach for the Bicycle Safety Improvement Fund. Since the July update I sent you, here are updates on Five of the items:
    First, as I recently reported, the City of Newport Beach approached CalTrans for a dedicated right turn lane with a bike lane. Caltrans responded that they would not add the additional striping with the current traffic signal rehabilitation project. The City’s request still stands. I think a grass roots effort is in order here. Caltrans District 12 phone number is (949) 724-2000, and the District Director is Ryan Chamberlain. If this project is important to you, call Ryan and leave him a message.
    Second, on the topic of Newport Coast drive, especially at the entrance/exit of the 73 to Newport Coast we suggested a stop sign on the exit and a biker activated light on the entrance. The City of Newport Beach has jurisdiction only on everything south of the centerline. The rest is the City of Irvine’s responsibility. The City of NB completed the project to add additional warning signage and striping at the SR73 SB On and Off Ramps as detailed in the Citizen’s Bicycle Safety Committee. Additional striping and signage improvements were made to intersection right turns on Newport Center Drive at San Joaquin Hills Road and Ridge Park Road. If you are riding this route, please pass your comments along to me!
    Third, we requested signage for drivers entering and exiting the 55 freeway at Coast Highway, especially going east. The City has a grant to fund full widening on this area and the project is currently in design. No dates on construction timing yet.
    Fourth, for those cyclists who wanted a Safe Route to the Beach from NHHS to the peninsula, the City completed a roadway restriping on 32[SUP]nd[/SUP] Street from Newport Boulevard to Balboa Boulevard that created bike lanes by reducing the vehicle travel lanes from two to one lane in each direction without impacting the intersection operation. As part of the project, the Seashore bike path was extended to Balboa Boulevard.
    Fifth, Sharrow paint. The City repainted the faded Sharrows on Coast Highway. The Sharrows are the standard size.

And now the Call to Action. On Tuesday, Sept. 3 from 5 to 6 pm, the City of Newport Beach will hold its Bicycle Master Plan Oversight Committee Meeting at 100 Civic Center Drive in Newport Beach. Here is the link: http://www.newportbeachca.gov/index.aspx?page=72&recordid=7522
    In order to ensure that the Bike Master Plan considers the type of bicycle safety improvements that we believe will help minimize the deaths of our cyclist friends, please take the Newport Beach Bicycle Survey AND show up to this meeting to voice your opinion. ADDITIONALLY, one year ago in September is the month where we lost two women cyclists and a third injured in three consecutive days. We all remember and now we mourn another death. PLEASE WEAR YOUR NEWPORT BEACH MEMORIAL RIDE T-SHIRT if you can. If you don’t have one, please stop by Surf City Cyclery in Costa Mesa (only the Costa Mesa store) at 257 E. 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Street in Costa Mesa and pick up a t-shirt. Whatever sizes are left from last year is all that you can pick from. You can pick up a wrist band, too. You can pick these up for free or leave a donation, just wear the Tshirt as many times as you can in September.

20. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

God speed to paul and his family for the pain that he is feeling! SOOOO SAD!