Fast mtb training rides?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Pat, Apr 23, 2008.

1. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    I usually do Blackstar on tuesday nights at what I would call my "endurance race" pace(~50 minutes from the bottom gate to the top).

I'm always looking for company.....come on out. I usually start pedalling at 4:30.

B

2. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Fully Loop

Thursday if you can hang

3. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    shoot for doing the full tour of aliso in and hour and a half. I know people who have done it! two loops after work at santiago oaks is a good one. think positive mann!

4. ubermensch

ubermensch New Member

Maybe if you start a weekly ride and instead of calling it a 'ride,' kick it up a notch and call it a 'training ride' or even a training race, then more people would show up. Since this board is so active, and judging by the amount of race reports, I'd be surprised if that doesn't take off.

For me, I sometimes will miss group rides for whatever lame reasons, but I never blow off a 'training ride' because I know that's the best way to get fit and prepare for racing. For roadies, the training rides are everywhere and everyone takes advantage of them. I rode with a group at Bonelli Park earlier this evening and, even though daylight savings time started way early this year, there was still a healthy pack of about 70 or 80 riders. In the summer time, that number can easily double. I'm surprised that there aren't established rides like that for dirt riding.

5. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    It's not the OC, but you pretty much explained the Monday night Incycle rides out of San Dimas. Riders usually range from Sport level to Pro's, trying to get a second beginner friendly ride going too, and we always eat and shoot the breeze afterward. If you ever feel like making the drive, come check it out!

6. thephat

thephat Active Member

No amount of fortitude, or personal desire will improve your riding like chasing fast riders, and pushing each other.

That being said, if you can have fun riding, you will imrove as a rider better than if you are not having fun.

Lots of folks go fast because of ego. For most really fast folks, I think it's more about the personal challenge. Most of the fastest riders I know are very humble. I think part of it is that the better you get, the more you know how good the best are.

I think the fast group at the Tues eve El Moro ride may be what you are looking for. It's been a while for me, but they used to atract some fast riders, and pretty much race for a couple of hours.

7. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    On the road riders in a pack are still the "little guys" in terms of speed and size. They present no physical threat to Joe Public in his car.

On the trail a fast pack intimidates the other users (raises dust, spooks horses, etc.). I can't see established fast rides on anything other than little-used fireroads.

(edit: training rides also need a constant pace - harder to do on dirt)

8. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

+1 very well put! :clap:

9. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

i might be down to do some race-pace rides. I'm not particularly fast by any means (I'm better at going DOWN), but I definitely want to be competitive in C's or B's collegiate next year.

So far i was just planning on doing laps around the fully loop quickly on my own. My record is 46 minutes from courthouse to courthouse, and I'd like to shatter that ;)

If you set up a few rides a week i would be down to go on them though. I do agree that there is nothing like friendly competition to get you in the racing mood. I did all of last season on a crumby 35lb hardtail, and really, reallllly loved trying to chase down guys on $5000 bikes wearing spandex (and succeeding too :))

something else to consider as well, i believe that a well rounded rider has a higher chance of being successful at racing. You can;t just be a monster in the saddle, or a beast of a downhiller. You have to work on both equally. There are people I know who can go up hills like no other, but they just choke on the slightest downhill turn. There's also others that can rip up the downhills, but can't pedal up things nearly as well as some.

For example, at one race last year, one of our guys was the first to the top of the hill by several seconds, but he could not handle the downhill. There were a few other guys (one on a DHR, one on a stinky), who ended up walking the climb, and blowing people away on the downhill. they eventually got 5th and 6th place.

but anyway, lemme know. I'd probably be down for at least a few faster rides a week on top of what i'll be doing on my own

10. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Spoken like a guy who's afraid to sack up and pin a number on. Don't project your inadequacies on other people.

11. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Wow Rivet only a 176 thanks, huh? No wonder. :lol:

12. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    So you've seen me ride, eh? :lol:

13. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

You're bothered by what I said but have no problem with the hate filled statement from Keith B? Interesting.

14. jake

jake c('.'c)

Rivet, Dude... If you knew how funny it is to associate Keith B with "hate filled" you'd stop right now.
    Besides, I've seen him "pin on" a number and kick ass.

Some people need a group pace to motivate them, some don't. Looks like Keith doesn't need it. I personally enjoy riding with a group when I need to push and riding alone when I just wanna chill and enjoy the experience.

15. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

So how would you describe what he wrote?

16. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Back on topic:

:eek: That's smokin' B!! If I could chase you every once in a while, I'd definitely get faster :)

17. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Erm...I did Counting Coup this year and came 10th. Bite me.

Thanks Jake, I would have replied sooner but my anger mangement therapist wouldnt let me leave my cell :) Dont get me wrong its fun to push with a group sometimes, I'm merely pointing out that ultimately you're racing yourself and there are more than enough out there who race jsut to say they beat someone.

18. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    You wanna see smokin? The fellas at the front of the VQ this year were at Beaks in just a hair over 40 minutes! I was soo amazed to see that........I went back a few days after the event to see just how hard it would be to get up there that fast. I absolutely killed myself and it took 44 minutes. I simply can't imagine getting up there in 40 and then doing the rest of the VQ.

Those guys are smokin. I'm just a dude with a full time job that rides to work alot:)

B

19. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Okay, double :eek::eek:!! Wow! 40 minutes?! Incredible!

Yeah, but having never gone on a ride with you...my spies tell me otherwise ;)

20. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    leaf spring man?!!

Sorry for the off topic - healing is required.......

Hang on.....arent you the guy who was so upset that I criticized leaf springs? Please dont be a hater, I merely speak my mind and aim to raise a smile. Deep breath.......................and release. Ah! Love is all around :beer: