Ever bruise your tailbone?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by jasonmason, Apr 16, 2008.

1. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    So I think mine is bruised, since it's really sore and i can feel that there's some swelling around the area. Not really sure how it would have happened, since i can't think of any incident before it started hurting that i did anything that should have injured it - it just started hurting friday and hasn't really changed since then, except for a slight bit more swelling that's remained constant since then.

I tried heat last night, and it seemed like a fix the soreness somewhat for a short while, but it came back quickly and hasn't really abated. Any suggestions?

I'm going to ice it this evening to see if that helps - anyone have experience as to how long an injury like this takes to heal, or advice for expiditing the process (heat, ice, stretching, etc.)?

If nothing helps, there's always the IPA cure...

2. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Crashed and bruised mine a couple of weeks ago and it's still bugging me. One of those lingering type injuries that will eventually fade away.

3. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Maybe you're growing a tail? :lol::confused::lol:

Seriously though, if it's a bone bruise, it may take awhile to heal. Icing has always helped me... I use a bag of frozen peas, which conforms to the body's contours and can be re-used.

4. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Okay, this may be sharing too much but it could be your problem...

some people (me included) are prone to getting what's called a pilonidal (pie-lon-eye-dal) cyst/abcess. It is right above the tailbone and is basically an ingrown hair/pimple under the skin. Weird and kind of gross, I know, but it happens.

Is it red/inflamed or can you see a bruise? I wouldn't overestimate the cyst. If they get really bad, they have to get lanced or surgically removed (happened to my mom).

I won't go into particulars but thought it might be what's ailing you.

5. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I say stop those late night Ipa Escapades.Do you recall what you did that night?:lol:

6. kevinator

kevinator Staying hydrated

I managed to fracture mine twice snowboarding. Painful and not a whole lot you can do about it. Although drinking made it feel a little better :). IMO, it's like a rib injury - hurts for six weeks then disappears.

7. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    What a pain in the a$$.

8. luna

luna I Wanna Ride I Wanna Ride

Realtor
    Go to Rite-Aid or something like that & get a inflatable ring or doughnut to sit on, helps big time.

9. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    When I slouch in my office chair for long periods of time mine gets sore but not like a bruise type sore....A hemmroid doughnut will help ease the pain while at your desk

10. thephat

thephat Active Member

I was going to share this too when I read the OP. If you have this kind of syst, I am sorry. It is one of the worst things that I have experienced.

When I got mine, I first thought it was a bruised tail bone.

Also, if you do have this, I recomend doing some research before getting the surgery. Feel free to contact me for more info, and future prevention.

11. Letyrides

Letyrides Roar!

I fell HARD on mine during derby. It took a good 6 months to stop hurting. I probably did more than bruise it. But I would also check into the cyst thing, esp. if you don't remember falling on it. My roommate developed one and she seemed to think the pain just suddenly appeared and started hurting. Have it checked out if it gets worse.

12. Kaboom

Kaboom New Member

Sales
    I've bruised mine twice. The doughnut to sit on is key, as is ice. Mine was sore for a few weeks. It's almost like a bruised rib. You forget about it, and then sit on it wrong and it hursts again.

13. jasonmason

Thanks for all the feedback. I iced it when i got home tonight and it seemed to help alot. I'm going to continue a cycle of icing over the next few days and see it if keeps the discomfort under control.

I looked for quite a while into the pilonidal cyst information, and will definitely keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't appear to be developing into that. After reading all the information on the site (thanks for the link steph) i went over in my mind how and when it started hurting, and did a careful self-check of all the symptoms discussed - none of what was discussed was present, thankfully, and it seems the pain they talk about is much more excruciating than what i'm having. It's sore all right, but more like a bruise sore. None the less i'm going to keep and eye on it for any of the other symptoms, and thanks for the information - i never would have suspected that could be the cause of it.

Now back to lying on the couch with a beer - got to be comfortable to ice it, right?

14. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    its a slow healing process, I bruised mine a while back skateboarding and landing on a hand rail. I couldn't walk normal for 4 weeks! My back was also in terrible pain.

15. PacMan

PacMan New Member

My son's 5th birthday party at a Skating rink. After MUCH coaxing, he managed to talk me out onto the floor to skate with him. I was more than a little apprehensive, seeing as it had been 15+ years since I had skated.

Not surprisingly, I went down like a bag of sand after only a few laps and bruised my tailbone severely. It hurt so bad I couldn't breathe for a few seconds. I took the skates off right there and managed to walk off the floor when I wanted to crawl. It took 3-4 weeks before I could even sit comfortably.

16. CalEpic

CalEpic member

When Gene told me he slipped you that roofie at Roscoe's I had no idea he was so rough on you. Sorry to hear that. :)

17. jasonmason

aaugh!

So that's why i couldn't remember how (or when) i got home! 8-[
    Guess that means roofies really do work...

18. jasonmason

a follow-up

So it turns out steph and tani were right, after all that it turned out to be a pilonidal cyst. Yikes, i had no idea a cyst could be so painful!

Last thusday night it was extremely painful, but by the time i woke up friday i could barely get out of bed at all, let alone walk. I was nauseated and weak, and literally lay in the shower floor just trying to get the hot water to heat my back up enough that i could move. It had become hard and swollen around the area, and though i couldn't see a cyst, from what i'd read by that point i figured that was what i had - or something worse, since it felt so painful.
    Dragged myself to urgent care, where they confirmed that it was a pilonidal cyst (sinus actually, since it has a hole), and gave me a huge antibiotic shot in my butt, which seems to help almost immediately. Prescriptions for more antibiotics, plus ultram and vicodin, and i went and laid down all weekend. By saturday it had started to drain, and by sunday night it had entirely drained and the swelling was noticeably down. Follow-up appointment yesterday said i'm almost all healed up, and finally i can sit down again comfortably!

Thanks again for all the help diagnosing it and with the info! Now i can finally get back riding...

19. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Glad it is better now!

But NO thanks for the very graphic details, I was just eating my lunch :lol:

20. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Well, Tim, I am sorry to hear that it was a pilonidal cyst (more properly, abscess), BUT you did get it taken care of before it became too bad. Now you know what to look out for.

For all those out there who may be (or have been) similarly afflicted...the best advice I got (considering we're mtb'ers) is to change up and/or wash up right away after you're done with your ride. (Bring baby wipes with you in your bag). A sweaty bum area is no good for those who are prone to the "cysts".

Glad that the antibiotics worked for you. Not everyone has the sinus which allows it to drain...those unlucky folks usually have to have surgery.