El Prieto at risk!/Station Fire (merged threads)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tedroy, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Adrian

Adrian foesnasty no more....

2. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
  3. shreddy62

shreddy62 New Member

4. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    Forest Service hopes to reopen non-burned areas soon

From Pasadena Star News...

"ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST - Authorities are hoping to open the forest to visitors in a matter of weeks, rather than months or years, said U.S. Forest Service spokesman Nathan Judy.
    Forest Service teams will be investigating burned areas for the next week, said Judy, to assess how much work they will need to reopen.

When it does reopen, visitors will be looking at a much more limited recreational area. Some trails and campgrounds could remain closed for much longer, as erosion will lead to trail collapses and potential for flooding during winter rains.

The fire appears to have burned much of the easily-accessible areas along Highway 2, though Judy said he was not certain what areas might have been spared.

Local hiking areas near Pasadena fared much better, with Echo Mountain, Henninger Flats, Chantry Flats all intact. The fire did burn trails in the Millard Canyon Campground area, and in areas above Echo Mountain.

Though the entire area is closed at present, the Forest Service has already found people in burn areas, according to Judy.

"I don't know why people would want to recreate in a burned area, but we've already found people doing it," said Judy.

Visitors to burn area risk further eroding soil and bringing in invasive species, added Judy."

I dunno if I'd want to breath the dust that might kick up for quite a while. It's nasty enough down here in town. Pray for very heavy DEW, not even light precipitation, just general moistness!

5. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    With even less riding areas available to bikers now with the fires (both road and mtn) it would be in everyone's best interest to give bikers some access in some specificly designated urban park/wilderness areas that would have the least amount of negative impact.

By making some areas more available, even if only for a trial period, would give all sides and opportunity to see how and if it could be policed and maintained. If successful, perhaps it could made into a long term project?

Like I said, just throwing it out there for folks to ponder and brainstorm some possibilities.

Yeah, Ib already know all the reasons why it might not work, the amount of effort it would take to make it happen and all of the other negativity thatusually comes with such an idea.

Those aren't the folks I am pitching this to. We've already heard your take on such things.

This is for folks to chew on that might already be working on some alternative ideas for riders. for something to get or are looking involved in.

The loss of so much of our riding places is a big deal and instead of lamenting what was and is, why not try to use this as a focal point to make something better come from it.

Maybe it's being back home for a visit and seeing how folks and municipalities have really taken to making biking a more viable source of commuting and recreation for as many folks as possible.

It's smart and makes a community a better place.

6. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I see you are further along the path to recovery than I am. The Stages of Grieving are Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance. It sounds like you are maybe in either Bargaining or Acceptance. I think I am still in Denial.

I applaud your efforts. :clap:

7. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

I see you're both further along then I. I'm still stuck on Grieving. Denial and Anger are surely to follow, I have no doubt in my mind. The more pics of fire destruction I see, the more I grieve.

8. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Actually, I'm wondering what the process might be to get better/more access for bikes...

9. Fewinhibitions

It's easy for me to jump ahead in the process, I only saw the fire the first two days and have only seen the damage from pics and video sent to me from faily and friends.

When I get back and walkout to the end of my street and see the carnage, it may well be a setback for me mentally

And as stated, being here and out of SoCal has allowed me to refocus away from the crap hole that can be SoCal (IMHO).

Biking is one of the few things that takes away the dread of living there. There are other things, but they are more seasonal.

I did get two job offers, but as anyone who is from HI can tell you, the cost to move back and live decently requires both my wife and I to have incomes right now.

I have to stay positive and not let the fires completely cloud my mind from the other things that make SoCal an acceptable place to live.

Looks like we are going to come home this weekend. I want to stay another week, but my wife says we should go back and start dealing with "the real world" once more.

Be safe everyone.

\o0o/ 's

10. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    more random shots...
    [​IMG]

highway to hell
    [​IMG]
    more aftermath
    [​IMG]

Sadly, this place got scorched too. Hopefully the big trees will survive.
    [​IMG]

11. IMALLSLO

IMALLSLO S G V

Third shot......what saddle is that? I couldnt read the trail sign.

12. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    fire on the mountain

Flames are now visible on the solar observatory webcam. They've grown dramatically in the past fifteen minutes. From the looks of things earlier today, it appeared the observatory was safe. Nuts.

13. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Apparently I'm an artist of some description
    Got a site?

14. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Yeah... http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/towercam.htm#imagetop
    Just got the skinny from my bud. There was a back burn planned for the a.m., but he doesn't think this is it. Luckily, they just got the antique fire suppression water pipes going the weekend before the fire started. Hope they don't have to use them.

15. El Presidente

El Presidente New Member

Owner and President of Bellfree Contractors, Inc.
    If you or anyone else actually wants to get involved with this process you can come to the next CORBA meeting. We can use all the help we can get! If you do not have time to get involved at the very least you can kick in $25 bucks for a CORBA membership! www.corbamtb.com

Meetings are the third Wednesday of the month. Just drop me a pm if you want to come.

Once the dust settles and we get some direction from the Forest Service and the okay to work on the trails we will need lots of help there too!

Hans

16. Fewinhibitions

Sign says:

Natures Canteen Trail

Switzer Road
    Switzer Trail
    Jct Bear Cyn Trail

Don't recognize the spot though.

17. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Looks better today then on 9-6
    [​IMG]

18. El Presidente

El Presidente New Member

Owner and President of Bellfree Contractors, Inc.
    It is at the junction of Angeles Crest and Angeles Forest Highways. Right behind the building where they sell adventure passes.

19. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Update from my observatory homeboy: Planned burn. All is well.

20. Piranha

Piranha Member

[​IMG]

Burnt out hillsides near El Prieto Road in The Meadows housing area of Altadena Wednesday September 9, 2009. Residents in the burn-out areas near the Station Fire are concerned with debrie and mud flows with the rainy season approaching. (Pasadena Star News/Staff Photo by Walt Mancini)