Ride Report Durango, CO - Kennebec Pass

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BikeThePlanet, Nov 18, 2014.

1. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

For the five of us left on STR . . . Maybe a ride report will spur the return of some lurkers.

Back country riding in Colorado . . . there is nothing else like it. I called up the local shuttle service, Hermosa Tours, that runs out of the Pedal the Peaks Bike Shop in Durango looking for a ride to some High Alpine riding. I wanted to do Molas Pass to Engineer Mountain, but the only shuttle running was to Kennebec Pass.

Kennebec Pass is one of the stops Big Mountain Enduro Series. My first thought was, “This is going to be above my pay grade.” However, I figured I drove all the way to Durango, so I better see what all the hype is about.

Kennebec Pass is 26 miles of single track bliss (well mostly). Plus, an extra 8 or so miles at the end pedaling back to the townhouse I was staying at. Talk about a long day in the saddle. The shuttle ride up was pretty cool. With Durango, once you are out of town, you are OUT of town. It is surrounded by mountains. We took a treacherous rocky road up through some beautiful scenery. Some locals do an annual 4th of July Day ride where they do the route a a loop, no shuttle. Beast mode!

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

Once at the top over 11,500 feet, you have views halfway across Colorado. The shuttle driver pointed out Telluride which is halfway across the street. The downside . . . Have you ever tried to breathe with a wet pillow case wrapped around your head? I imagine that to be the same feeling I had just stepping out of the van. It felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. Elevation is no joke. I should have spent more time just admiring the view at the top and exploring a bit, but a beautiful single track through lush green was calling my name.

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

Right at the start, 1/2 a mile in, I see this . . . WTF!?!? I thought to myself, "If all 26 miles miles is like this . . . I am screwed. It is going to make two days just to walk out of here." Steep, drop off, loose shale. No bueno.

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Luckily, that was over before I knew it and there was miles and miles of lush green single track bliss.
    [/FONT]
    IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Andy

Andy Member

Nice RR and pix, slightly envious...

3. BikeThePlanet

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]On the ride up the shuttle drive mentioned, “The trail starts off with around nine miles of downhill singletrack than there is some climbing before you finish with another 11 miles of downhill singletrack. The DH is so much fun you’ll completely forget about the short climb in the middle . . .”[/FONT]

Umm . . . No! Don’t get me wrong the DH was a blast and unforgettable for sure, but that climb. That dastardly godforsaken climb at over 9,000 feet of elevation . . . Pure hell. I am not going to lie. I probably walked 80% of that section. My lungs were not happy. Especially the first part. It was super steep, rocky, and loose. Technical climb at elevation. Plus, it happened to be edging towards 90 and the heat wasn’t helping.

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

That section sucked. A lot of walking even for an executive member of the HAB Crew. The rest of the way though was much better. :)

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

panorama_01.jpg

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]I have done some pretty epic rides: Tahoe Meadows to the Flume, Mescal to Aerie in Sedona, etc. This was just as epic, if not more. I can’t recommend Durango enough. Backcountry high alpine riding is an experience that shouldn’t be missed. Plus, Durango is a cool town when not riding.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]32+ miles of riding. Wore me out for several days afterwards, but about as epic of riding as it gets. I wanted to to Molas to Engineer, but no shuttle while I was there. Hopefully next time.

Here are some videos from a rider I found on-line riding the Enduro event.

[/FONT]<font color="#141823" face="Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 18px;">[video=youtube;Cz_g7AKT194]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz_g7AKT194[/video]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]<font color="#141823" face="Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 18px;">[video=youtube;WHMGoqbOVog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHMGoqbOVog[/video][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

4. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    Sweet. Looks like fun

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Nice it seems like your riding has progressed very well...cudos!

Dean

6. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Nice RR BTP! THANKS! Looks great out there. It's on the list! I've been to Durango but I rode my motorcycle out there so no mtbing for me on that trip. I rode the train though, that was cool!

7. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Damn fine report. I am envious.

8. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

Very cool. I've never ridden Colorado. Maybe this next summer. Thanks for sharing.

9. launchpad

launchpad Member

Unemployed and Living In My Mom's Basement
    Orange County but want to move to the Inland Empir
    Very cool. Can't wait to go there sometime.

10. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Was great running into you on Sunday - this looks like a budget list for sure!

11. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    Thanks for the RR. The photos are unreal.

12. ricke24

ricke24 Member

Immigration Project Assistant
    WOW, great pictures, looks awesome!

13. bikerider

bikerider New Member

That's a great ride. Looks like you had a lot of fun I did that one 3 years ago and with fall colors. Dying to get back out there and try Molas.

Attached Files:

14. JSD

JSD Member

order desk
    Great ride report, great pictures. Looks like an awesome ride thanks BTP

15. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Glad I did a quick pop in - awesome report and pics. Do you need a best friend (lol)?? All I want to do is explore on my bike!!

Thanks for the inspiration!

16. kcm

kcm New Member

wow! thanks for the great RR. How you get the px to upload? I keep getting file too large block.. 2.1 MP .. Great pictures...

17. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Nice job! Thanks for the sweet pics and notations.

One of the best sections of the CO Trail for sure. Jeez, that whole Molas-Durango run is spectacular in its own right. Despite lack of water! Thanks for the memories...

Keep crankin, BTP.

18. BikeThePlanet

They have to be smaller than 1 MB. I have an action setup for Photoshop to save for web. Preview in OSX has a feature to save smaller files. Not sure what Windows has by default.

19. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    For years I've used FastStone Photo Resizer. It's a free download (see link) and you can resize and rename (Durango1, Durango2....) batches of pictures quickly and easily. If you had 30 jpegs at 2.1MP it would resize them all to whatever you choose in a minute or so. Your originals are left alone. Just be careful when you choose your destination file or you'll have to move a lot of files.

http://download.cnet.com/FastStone-Photo-Resizer/3000-2192_4-10319476.html

20. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

So you were riding with at least 2 women and all your pictures are just of trees and rocks and stuff. And you wonder why people talk about you.