Downhill Helmet Help

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by dirtmistress, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Replacement teeth aren't cheap...

2. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    Liz, if I'm not mistaken, Dave was wearing the white 661 helmet on the left this past weekend. Ask him if he likes it.

3. evdog

evdog Member

DH gear should be comfy, if it fits well. I think it would be worth the time and expense to check out some new helmets if the ones you are borrowing are not working for you. There are plenty of options and each fits slightly different. Lots of light helmets out there too. Find what works for you, not what works for others. It can be very distracting to ride with a helmet that doesn't fit or isn't comfortable, to the point I think it makes it more dangerous than using your normal xc lid. Have fun up there!

4. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

The extra weight can take some time to adjust to, as others have posted above, it may be helpful to wear the helmet regularly around the house and build up the muscle strength.

5. bing!

bing! Active Member

Hey DM, I'm in Venice. If you want weigh the PM Cortex Flow, I have one in L/XL (they run small), you can come over and try it. Some people have told me its pretty light.

I also have the 661 Comp shown up there, and a Bell Drop that you can check out.

I think I am finished riding DH this year. If you wanna borrow my Leatt in small, go for it. If you break it, it wouldve already saved your neck, I don't think youll actually mind paying me for it.

Otherwise, its free to borrow :)

6. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

661 Comp is very light. My friend has a carbon shell helmet that is supposedly very light and costs 4 times the 661 Comp but i can't really tell any weight difference by holding them in my hands.

If you do decide to get the 661 comp, get the black one (the white one makes one look like a giant light bulb.)

7. kazlx

kazlx New Member

Anaheim Fire Hazmat
    Try on a TLD. By far the most comfortable DH I've worn. They can be had on sale for very reasonable prices. I've tried on and worn quite a few FF helmets. Not sure how people wear the cheap ones. You definitely get what you pay for.

8. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Thanks everyone and thank you Bing! We leave bright and early in the morning so I'll just suck it up and wear what I have for now! I'll let you guys know how it works out!
    :wave: