Don't night ride? You should consider it.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by tracysurf, Sep 4, 2013.

1. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    That's right, i remember now. You guys hit B*every full moon. I just received a loaner night light because of early morning rides to Luge with the team. I can use that for now. Any specific rules, back up light and such ?

2. tracysurf

tracysurf New Member

World domination one website at a time - owner of
    Home Page:
    Yes, It's DP. I'm in south county so I mainly night ride DP, SCST solo. Luge and San Juan, with friends. Wanting to do an all nighter to Santiago Peak.

3. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Consultant; I teach bad vs. good.
    I used to like night riding because I thought the snakes were all sleeping #-o

I agree with J - riding by moonlight is most awesome!

4. amrider04

amrider04 Member

What time do you usually start? Let me know if you do late start riding around 9-9:30. :)

5. grendal

grendal Member

Mario,
    I have a couple extra light sets and so does Pat. If we know you are coming we can set you up.

I always ride with a Bar light and head light and carry a small back up in my back. Overkill, but I crashed once and both my lights went out. I will never again go out for 2+ hours rides without one.

6. g-dub

g-dub Member

I have to think it's a staffing/cost thing, and probably a homeless/"camper" thing too.

The county didn't allow racing either, until they needed the money. I've thought that the county might make a few bucks by offering a $5/$10 pass on Thursday nights at the popular spots.

7. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    If you sign up for CC or VQ I can't think of any other practical way to consistently train for it other than to do regular night rides... at least if you're not a morning person like me. :)

I've done tons of night rides up B* and STT/Luge and a few up Harding. It's a strange experience climbing all the way up to 4 Corners at the Main Divide on a weeknight. In fact, I took my new Tallboy out on its maiden voyage a couple nights ago up to the Luge, if anything because it's been so hot these past few daze... The only eventful occurrence worthy of note was a few years ago when someone hid a motion-sensing Halloween prank noisemaker in the bushes up near the top of the Luge and it scared the bejeezus out of me when I set it off...I'd never ridden down the Luge so fast in my life!

8. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    I had somebody behind me with headlights on. I was coming down tonight at the edge of darkness. The first couple night rides still make the hair on my neck stand up. Nothing like being alone in the big dark hills and hearing noises. A couple years back I scared up a Mtn Kitty. When you hear the chaparral explode near by it is time to make tracks.
    Happy night trails.

9. vamaro

vamaro Member

I keep seeing a rider with super bright helmet and handlebar lights. Motivated me to buy lights a few weeks ago. Looking forward to doing some night rides this winter.

10. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    With night riding comes cooler temperatures. I found that the best accessory to go with my lights is a nice balaclava. Keeps my face/ears from freezing when its 30-40°F out there. Some nice wind proof glooves would be the second best accessory.

11. vamaro

vamaro Member

Did my first night right on the same trails last night. Been riding in DP for 10 years but I have to say the trails look a lot different at night. Got spooked a couple times but it just made me pedal faster. Saw one other rider out there with lights. I plan to do this a couple times a week. For lights I had a 300 lum on my bar and a 200 lum helmet. Seemed to work well, I just need to get used to it.

12. 1TrackMind

1TrackMind Member

Sales
    Or the end of Two Balls One Bone...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
  13. da big hills

daily night grind
    I was out late last evening until all extra light was all but gone. Right in the middle ot the trail was a tightly coiled ball of black. I thought it may be a turd so I went around it but could be something else. A half of mile later another black thing, all stretched out across the road. I turned around, jet black rattler. I may put my lights on early this year.
    Happy Slithern trails

When I do mount up it is two bars and one helmet. 5 watts up, 35 blazing watts going down.

14. suicidesam

suicidesam New Member

creeeeeeeeeeeeeepy!!!!

back in the day me and few buddies use to ride up in monrovia to a water tank. long story short we would hide in the bushes and wait for the slow pokes as they approached we would jump out and scare the caca out of them...:D

15. da big hills

daily night grind
    and that would do it. Hit them now as we start night riding. Right now every creak out there will make their hair stand on end. Having a real thing will scare the buzjehbis out of anyone. After a few rides the edge comes off and you know it is a rabbit or bird.

16. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    Bumpski..haha