Dis-located

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by mcgyver0302, Jul 29, 2007.

1. mcgyver0302

mcgyver0302 Life behind bars

Slave
    Home Page:
    Anyone else out there dis-located their shoulder? How long did it take to get back to the trail? What exercises will strengthen the joint? Has it come out since? Did you need surgery? Thanks!:bang:

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Back on the bike in three weeks. About 2 months before a could lift front tire without pain. No surgery, Doctor did say once it happens, it happens easier from then on out. I have not dislocated it since, but sometimes when I hit the ground it gets sore again for about a month.

Dean

3. ride hard

ride hard rocks hurt >.

ive dislocated my shoulder twice now i just take it easy on the shoulder for a week or 2 and then it was fine the last time was a week ago >.<

4. mcgyver0302

Slave
    Home Page:
    How do you get it back in? Hospital or by yourself?

5. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Last year on the Fullerton Loop! I dislocated it at night when I smacked into a pole and landed with my arm stretched out. Luckily, my arm popped back into the socket when I picked it up. It took me 3 wks before I started riding around the street and about 5 wks before I started riding dirt again.

My physical therapy started 2 wks after my injury. The sooner you start moving the shoulder, the better you're off....as long as it doesn't cause major pain. Slight pain, ok, but if it hurts, slow down and take it easy.

6. mcgyver0302

Slave
    Home Page:
    They're doing an MRI or something like that on Thursday. I'll find out then if I need surgery... Hopefully not! I wanna go ridin' soon! Thanks...

7. ride hard

ride hard rocks hurt >.

i just pop it back in right when it happens each time the adrenaline from dislocating it keeps the pain of relocating it off

8. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Mine popped back in by itself.

Dean

9. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I dislocated mine at 14/15 when I crashed on a bmx jump...it popped back on it's own but to this day I can pop it of whenever...it doesn't give me any pain...guess it just depends on the person and the injury..everyone is different

10. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    I dislocated my left shoulder about 4-5 times in the span of 6 months back in 1995. I had surgery (Magnusen stack, if anyone cares) with a screw put in the shoulder to hold a tendon in place. Each time it dislocated, I put it back in myself by rotating my shoulder like I was swimming the backstroke. Ultimately, my left shoulder got too loose and kept coming out so surgery was needed. Recovery took about 4-5 months until I was really back to my real self. Utlimately I lost about 10° of rotation on my left shoulder, but it's no big deal. Got a 4.5" scar on my shoulder as a souvenir.

Physical therapy was very important. Mix of movement training and weight training. One exercise that helped was taking hand weights (1 lb each right after surgery), turning my thumbs in and down like I was pouring out a beer bottle, and lifting my arms in front of me up to my head. Kind of hard to describe in words, but it helped a lot to build strength in the muscles around my shoulder.

When the docs were doing the MRIs and surgery, they found my shoulders were both missing some tissue that would help keep them from dislocating so easily. They said I could do the same surgery on the right shoulder, but since I wasn't a pro athlete or anything, it wasn't really necessary.

My right shoulder (no surgery) comes out every one in a while, but not for the last 5 years or so. When it does come out, I put it back in myself and just rest for the day. It is sore for about a week, but no loss of strength or ability.

11. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Bm

Physical therapy was very important. Mix of movement training and weight training.

:bang:

Sound advice:clap:

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Back in my youth I was a rather rambunctious youth and found myself in the OC crossbar hotel. I was being held for something that I didn't do, so I was a little bit on the negative side when it came to dealing with the authorities. I was asked my name at roll call and "kindly" told the deputy to go have sexual intercourse with himself ( not the exact wording, but you get the drift), they then proceeded to extract me from my cubicle and "tried" to put bracelets on me. Considering I don't look good in silver I put up a struggle, I looked much better in gold in those days. As one of these cro-magnoms, wrestled with my arm, he thought it would be amuzing to see how far back he could take it till it "popped", and it did. It literally made a popping noise at which time he quit with his twisting of my arm. I was then taken to a private room of my own where I waited 5 days for medical care. After they felt it was time to return me to the general population, they decided to take a look at my shoulder. It was dislocated and a nurse told them to lay me on the floor on my stomach (oh, no you don't you freekin perverts) after the nurse convinced me there would be no hanky-panky, I did as I was told (shock, huh?) and she literally jumped on my shoulder which put it back in place. My shoulder is still in pain today, although it's one of those things you learn to live with. I have to be real careful, not to aggravate it to much as it will be sore for a few weeks along with my neck. But it hasn't popped out again.

13. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Dislocated my left one in Moab three years ago, earning me the right to put a hash mark in the Amasa Back column on the local ER's tote board for MTB injuries. There was little tissue damage (I got lucky) and I started light PT (just basic range-of-motion stuff) in a couple weeks. Was back on dirt at six weeks. Hasn't dislocated since, though i did have some discomfort sleeping on my left side for several months. That disappeared over time, though, and has now been replaced by the discomfort of the plate and screws that now hold my left collarbone together. Sensing a theme here?

Best of luck to you in your recovery.

14. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    did mine years ago wresting in HS. Slammed a guy and it popped. Jumped up and ran around the mat in circles like an idiot holding my shoulder in place. as much as it hurt most pain was in resetting. honestly do not recall time on DL but my season was over fo sho :( Luckly i was never one of those who had it pop out over and over. if have opportunity to rehab suggest taking it. best of luck/healing vibes

15. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I dislocated mine as well. I dislocated it twice and like everybody else it popped back in place. Mine was from Rugby with 1600 lbs of men on top of me and I came out looking like Lucas on the bottom of the pile. ANyways with the shoulder it was a different injury just because you will feel real good then all of a sudden the phone rings and you reach for it and massive pain occurs...ouch!

16. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 New Member

I dislocated mine at the Fruita Fat Tire Fest at end of April. Had to go to hospital to have it put back in place. Once it was back in, the pain went away. Doc said to start physical therapy in three weeks which I did and I also started riding again...easy road/fire road rides at first but after 4 weeks was back on single track. I still do physical therapy a few times a week and stretching. It's mostly back to normal, but still don't have full range of motion. Has not popped out again and doc said no surgery needed unless it pops out frequently.

17. Permagrin

Permagrin Hard landing comin' up!

Same here. Dislocated it about 4 years ago in gymnastics and it popped back in by itself but ever since it aches now and then depending on how hard and often it gets pulled around. One weekend I wakeboarded, went horseback riding and rode the mtb and I could hardly move it that Monday. But this weekend I rappelled, went horseback riding and rode the bike and it feels ok even though I can feel that it's a bit off.

Usually a little ice and some rest from the pulling and pounding takes care of it but it does still bothers me now and then.

Hopefully the MRI will tell you how severe it is or isn't and you can go from there. Good luck :-k.