Differences in handlebar rise?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FatPossum, Apr 21, 2008.

1. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I do see what you are saying.

What you are describing is a bike that is just to small.
    I see that a lot a guy all hunched over on a med or a small bike trying to ride technical trails. One of my friends used to do that. He would ride a med / large and he was 6 foot eight and he would buy the longest stem he could get with a 10 deg rise. then slide his seat back on the rails. That was all you can get they didn't have riser bars and lay backs seat posts.
    He thought because he was stretched out that the bike was big enough for him . It was scary to see how out of control he was. It looked like he was riding a road bike on the rims. He washed out iin every turn and he would endo on a blade of grass it was funny.
    He was a Huge guy crashed every ride and destroyed bikes but never got hurt.
    He since sold all his bikes.:?: Wonder why?
    I will get him back out some day and I will help him get his bike set up.

By looking at some of my bikes you might think I am crazy because I too ride a smaller bike than I should some of the time. I'm six two and I ride a Med bike a lot of the time. My DH bike and FR/AM bike are both med. My Salsa is a large with a 90mm stem.

((Anyways back to the topic. I think you cant go wrong with a 1.5 riser bar.)):bang:

The Bars shown on my bike below are 34 1/4 from the ground to the center of the bars.
    this is with a FSA 60 mm w/aprox 5 deg riser stem and a 2 inch riser bar.
    I doesn't say anything on the stem so I am unsure of the rise. Lee would know. I changed it out for a Thompson 47.5 -0 deg . That is all thompson makes for 1.5 steer tube stems at the moment.

Ya just cant go wrong with a 1.5 riser bar. I tell ya.

Attached Files:

2. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Not the case.

The riser bar was brought into mtn biking for the purpose of DH this is correct It it set the movement.
    But like many other trends things go over board.
    Things can get out of hand. For example 10-20 deg riser stem that is 110 mm long with a 2-3 inch riser bar. Now that falls in the comfort bike category. If you are not sure what one of those are go to any shop and ask. For DH I prefer a 1 1/5 rise and sometimes a 2 inch rise but anything over that with a long riser stem just makes your bike all wacky.;)

Most of the guys racing DH/4X are using a 50 mm thomson stem with a 1.5-2 inch rise and most.

If you know anyone who is racing DH with a 110 mm stem w/10deg rise with 3 inch riser bars I would love to see them race. I don't think I could do it.

Like I was saying you cant go wrong with a 1.5 riser bar. If you have the correct stem. Many xc and am bikes come with a 90-100.

I agree with this. ==> That's exactly the reason why downhill guys have low seats and 2" riser bars. It's simple physics.

3. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Yes

Many times it depends on what type of bike and what type of riding you are planning on doing.

The best way for a road biker or a XC mtn biker to get everything dialed in is to go to a shop that has a fit kit. Anaheim Hills Bikes , The Path, Switch back Cyclery
    I'm sure most of the shops have them.

They can set up every thing from the type of seat to the placement of your cleats. They will also show you proper seat positioning and the proper stem length and rise.

For FR and DH bikes its more of a preference.
    Its not really necessary to go get fitted. Maybe with AM bikes because you spend more time on the bike.
    However it does help to have your suspension tuned by an experienced mechanic.