DH Skills Clinics

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by Jsyvanen, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Junta

Junta New Member

FYI, I am signed up for this Saturday and I consider myself Beginner/Intermediate.

2. ahimanic

ahimanic Victim of Karate Monkey

Bean counter!
    I just signed up myself! You must be the other rider Julius mentioned.

Man, I'm not looking forward to my 105 mile drive in the morning from the 60/57fwy area.

I ride mostly AM but visit Mammoth a couple times a year with my DH bike...just a recreational rider. I probably would rate myself as intermediate.

What bike are you taking? I'll take my DH bike if I can fix the drive train issue by Saturday otherwise I'll take my 6" AM bike.

We should take our cameras and film each other for reviews!

Looking forward to it.

Frank

3. ahimanic

Bean counter!
    In Julius reply to my inquiry he basically said he makes an effort to put together a group with similar abilities but one can never tell until everyone shows up. His lesson plan is structured such that skill gap is not a huge issue as long as the goals are similar.

I think it makes sense to maximize benefit by going with similar skill levels. I think a large disparity would always kind of short change one side...typically the more advanced.

4. Jsyvanen

Jsyvanen New Member

Bryguy,

I do make an effort to have similar skill levels represented because it does make the clinic more beneficial for all involved; if not more enjoyable. That being said, I think a father son group would be fun even if there was an legitimate skill gap since there is a special relationship there...

5. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Thread re-opened.

Please, this thread is to discuss the clinic. If you have a specific question e-mail Julius: [email protected]

Any more posts that fall outside that topic will be deleted.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
  6. Cableguy

Cableguy Member

I emailed him about 10/3. Haven't heard back. Why was the other thread closed?

7. Cableguy

Cableguy Member

I am going to the next week's one, on Saturday 10/10. Julius wants to group similar-skilled riders. I consider myself a high-intermediate (able to handle most DH runs at Mammoth, although not as well as I would like to). I asked some of my buddies but haven't heard back, so if anyone wants to sign up, feel free to ask Julius.

8. ahimanic

Bean counter!
    DH Clinic Review

Attended the DH clinic taught by Julius Syvanen last Saturday (10/3/09). Also in class was Junta from West LA. We both had a long trek to get to Poway but it was well worth it!

Julius starts the class by having us just pedal around the street to get a feel of how we handle the bike and went over some basics on body positioning, weighing the bike, how manuvers like manuals and hops can help on the trail. Julius questioned us on what we want to learn and what we hoped to get out of the class. Luckily, Juanta and I both have similar goals so that was easy and made the class more efficient.

Julius then shuttled us up to the top of the trail and we worked on different skills through out the day by sessioning sections over and over again.

The area has features that were just ideal for a DH clinic! The area was filled with berms to train for highspeed cornering, challenging rock gardens, boulder rolls, drops of all sizes and doubles.

We worked on using body positioning/weighing and picking lines to rail berms; preloading, picking lines and using trail features to navigate rock gardens; body positioning and manuals for drops; proper braking and manualing for big rolls. Basically, Julius can help you with just about any skills you're looking to improve and the trails will provide the proper class setting for them.

Here are some thought I have about the class:

- Julius is very methodical and detailed in his explanations. He does not gloss over details and spends the time to make sure you get it. He will demonstrate the section and then watch you session it over and over again, each time with observations and feedback.

- Julius hustles up and down the hill very quickly to give each person lots of attention and does not waste time.

- The trails are challenging. Julius does not dumb down the class to the rider's level. He'll make sure we're adequately challenged! But he's not aggro and won't push you into doing anything you're not comfortable with.

- Be prepared to take some spills because you will be challenged. Consequently, wear all your protections: Full face, chest, arm and legs. There are lots of dry shrubs I made friends with and I got scratched up even with plenty of plastic courage. It was hot and sweaty but I'm glad I wore everything. The upcoming cooler weather should be a bonus for this class!

- Julius is mellow, easy going, personable, good at explaining. Rides everything super smooth and is great to watch! Sometimes I almost rather just watch him than ride myself.

- Drive a large vehicle to help with the shuttle if possible. Julius has a shuttle van but if the class has 2 or 3 vehicles that can participate in the shuttle you will get more trail time.

- Bring plenty of water and snacks. You will be worked hard and need to keep up the energy. We didn't cover that much trail but do not think it's not tiring!

- Bring a camera with good video capabilities. Junta and I both brought cameras and we video'd constantly. We would record Julius for proper technic and ourselves to see what we did right and wrong. We all analyzed the videos together in slow motion and got on-the-spot feedback and correction. I find this to be very helpful, especially as something to take home for more case study. Julius did not have a camera so I would make this a recommendation to Julius that he should have a camera to film for future classes.

- Bonus - Julius writes up an email summary of the class and areas of improvement just for you!

Conclusion:

All in all, it was a great class and I'm very happy that I made the effort to go. You will learn a lot and feel yourself improve on the trail during the clinic but it's still important to take those skills home and practice! That's what I'm going to do in the next few months and then go back for another class to the next level!

P.S. Julius is a senior at the University next year so he may not be in Poway forever after he graduates or when he resumes racing. Take advantage of his clinic while you can! It's well worth it.

9. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Great write-up Frankie...

Been thinking about taking his class myself!

1) What did YOU learn from the class (bad habits/breakthroughs/tips)
    2) Does Julius do PRIVATE lessons
    3) If a student wanted to spend "time" on doubles/hucks/jumps, is the trail worth the drive?

10. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    emailed him for a class for november. just waiting for a response.

11. ahimanic

Bean counter!
    See below in red:

12. Jsyvanen

Jsyvanen New Member

Hey everyone, I wanted to clear up that I do do private clinics by request (and sometimes by default if I simply don't have more riders signed up for any given day)

13. Junta

Junta New Member

Bit late on the report, but let me make a quick one and more detailed one later when I have more time.

Clinic was WORTH every penny and I learned a great deal about DH riding. The trail had everything for DH riding, thus the location for the clinic.

Julius knows his THING and he was very attentive and observed every move and gave us immediate feedback.

Conclusion: Sign Up while he's available!

14. ahimanic

Bean counter!
    Just received the video CD yesterday, thanks Junta!

They really help! First I look at Julius in slow motion, and then myself, or vice versa on the same session. Just by comparing the two versions it was easy to pick out my problem areas and what to change.

15. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

hvac
    i signed up and might be going. julius replied now im just waiting for directions and instructions. however, i dont know if id consider myself a high-intermediate but more of a high-beginner. non the less i dont think ill hold you guys up. hope to meet you guys out there.

16. The_Pharoh

The_Pharoh New Member

Defense Contractor
    How much does this gig cost?

17. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

hvac
    from what i read $65 per person. sounds like a sweet deal.

18. The_Pharoh

The_Pharoh New Member

Defense Contractor
    Oh yeah I am going to be there, Just need to start collecting the gear required. Thats the expensive part. ha ha. Makes you start to look at your priorities. New bars? or full face? New post? Or shin and elbow guards? Damn those options!!!

19. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    armor.... 'bike' parts are easier to replace ;)

Path sale on Sunday!

20. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

You have pm!