Day of Silence and More discussion

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by LBmtb, May 24, 2008.

1. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    If STR goes down will their be any support groups for my grieving? I need it man give me my fix, please dude I don't know if I can go on with my life arrrrgggghhhhhhh!!! Someone help me man... I need a intervention and need to go to Life without STR rehab!!!!!!!

2. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I see lee's point. I do believe Lee has been a big part of why I go on here.
    I can say Lee has been to more events on here than most and he also has had many fun times and had time to appreciate the site and its people.

I don't think any of that had to do with his point.
    He speaks his mind as harsh as that may sound I wish everyone did some times.
    It give people a chance to get things straight rather than site stag net in an unknown state of fake happiness.

It seems I have a way of adapting to peoples way of communicating.
    He says it how it is and that can be a bit abrasive to some.
    Lee is a positive influence on many. And when something he says sounds negative I read farther into it to understand what he is saying.

What about those gas prices. Now that is something to be upset about. I cant afford to go anywhere fun .
    With high gas/oil prices comes jump in the cost of everything you buy. That sucks.

STR ROCKS! :beer::bang:

3. sladnas

sladnas Gumby

I just want to be clear that I wasn't attacking Lee for anything. I was just leveraging his comment to make my own. He provided my foundation :) Thanks Lee. 8-[

4. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

First, I have to agree that I felt like I didn't have much warning as to the site shut-down and would also appreciate more warning. This "day of silence" came right after the ride of silence, and I didn't pay much mind to it (or even read the post). So, as a few others have said, I would also like something more foreboding prior to a shut-down.

However, those whom are most important to me are not solely online, but in my hearts and I reach out to them on numerous occasions without STR. So, while I love the site, it is not detrimental to my state of well-being, friendships, or life that it is available at my fingertips 24/7. I did not die when the site was down, my bikes still roll, and the world, it seems, is still turning. To risk sounding as harsh as others--get over it!

Though, one of the beautiful things about this site is that we are all able to share our opinions with each other, it is just gets under my skin when the dramatics start (ooooooooooh, now I can't rely on you...blah blah blah--again, not picking on Lee, you are just the current target; ya know I luv ya).

I can see the temporary discomfort that you may have, but try looking at the world from another view and understanding everything that George is/has/will put into the site--without demanding anything of us other than a bit of respect, for him and others, a bit of thought on our posts (perhaps I do too much--or just need to be edited), and a day of rest--which turned out less than that.

That being said, I hope that I will receive a PM warning before you kick me out cause I'm a biatch. Besides, I'd like to know the ways that I am offending--who know, I may change a little...I mean, I'll even up my showers to 2/month if you'd like :)

5. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Forcing your will

When I first joined this site I liked the fact that it was local….and the cyber cowards couldn’t hide. I have not seen much cyber courage here.

What I have seen however are some elitist attitudes of what they want STR to be and not to be. Then if they do not like what they hear..they blast other posters (Dino thread#-o).

This site has some diverse personalities and riders witch is great! Do we have to all talk about where we placed on the podium during the last race?:rolleyes:

I have met and ridden with some kewl people from this site (CPATCRASH, Maxwell, Krztaco, FooFighter and that SOB Fired Yo Mamma;) to just name a few).

IMO M-biking is supposed to be fun and sorry after nearly 20 years in the sport I just don’t take it that serious.

Put me on ignore but please do not force your will:)

Let’s ride!

6. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I admit I was butt hurt for about 15 seconds. Only because I tried to log in 3-4 times what a waste of time that was ha ha :lol:
    I had a small transaction in progress. But it could wait.
    All sites shut down for uploads and other maintenance.
    Being that STR is a smaller newer site its not like the mods have shift changes.
    They do need a break. The growing pains of a new site are when and how to do that.

We learned
    #1 Warnings = Good
    #2 Keep the pms on.
    #3 Allow mail access
    If the site needs to shut down completely well give a bulk e mail telling the date a day or 2 before and one last message right before shutdown.

The Doo Hickey comes with a financial commitment.:-k

7. drclark

drclark I aim to misbehave

Engineer
    So, did the "day/night of silence" have the desired effect? Have the troublesome posters suddenly straightened up?

Hey, its cool if the mods simply wanted the day off on the holiday. I would have no problem if shutting the site down on holidays became a regular event if its advertised far enough in advance. Keeping the calendar and pm's functioning would be nice though.

I think that the way the whole thing was put forward as "behavior is getting out of hand so were going to put EVERYBODY on a timeout" rubbed some people the wrong way.

drc

8. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Ironically, yesterday was also the "day of silence" at our school to support the GLBT community. I thought it was in support of that and thought :?: random connection but oh well. I also thought it was for Memorial Day.

9. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Great point.

It makes you realize how much you would miss the site if it disappeared.

We should now have a moment of silence to appreciate STR. :bang: J/K :lol:

10. drclark

drclark I aim to misbehave

Engineer
    I was wondering how many people who weren't up to date on this thread confused the shutdown with the observance of memorial day.

drc

11. wgb

wgb New Member

Engineer

ME! I just read the reason for the shut down. Hey, it is still cool with me. I actually agree with the reasoning for it. We should all remember that we all have one thing in common.....a love to ride. Some like to shuttle, and some XC. Others like expensive rigs, others cheap ones. It doesn't matter lets ride. I have only been hip to STR for about 3 months now. I have met some pretty good people because of it.

Talk less, and ride more :bang:

12. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Sounds good. If it happens again (hopefully never) they'll be more warning and I'll try to keep the PM's up.
    Not that I would ever ban you, but there's always warning PM's before that happens. Even warrick had 3 or 4 warning PM's. :lol:

Just a heads up - the new vBulletin version is out which might mean a few hours of updating. Clicky for bug fixes & new features (we won't get all the new features - I'm gonna go through them and figure out which ones make sense for us). Not sure how long that'll take - might be some work since there are a few custom mods on here. Also will be updating our PHP version. Will post a new thread when I know when that'll happen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2008
  13. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    I hope the day of silence doesn't mean we "lost" Allison. No posts for 3 days but she did make a ride report on MTBR.

14. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    Hmmm.

Kinda feel ike Iv'e been punished for something. I dunno what.

15. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    What?

The site was actually shutdown for awhile? I gotta spend less time riding so I don't miss the drama. :D

16. dubl_xl

dubl_xl I'd rather go down

Electrician
    Before and After

I was riding my bike before I was turned on to STR and will still be riding after it is gone. Nothing lasts forever.

The biggest difference in my life since I joined STR is all the really great people I have had the chance to ride with and the people with AMAZING skills that make me push myself harder.

Yes I have an STR doo-hickey, but it isn't a pride thing or for more status or entitlement.

Keep supporting this site, it still takes cash to make it happen. :beer:

17. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Im poor.

I can't afford a Doo Hickey.:(

Maybe I can pimp some sugar mama to pay for my doo hickey so I can be hip also.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2008
  18. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

:?:

19. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

+1

20. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    didn't read the entire thread. read the anouncment though and thank you oh so much!