Cytomax Spring Mountain Biking Classic

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by i am dino, Mar 9, 2006.

1. i am dino

i am dino Guest

I saw that Kippie had posted this event in the EVENTS section and this looks like something that I think I could probably partake in. My question is to anyone who knows my riding ability. There is a Novice Class which does 2 laps on the 6 mile course, then the Intermediate Class which does 3 laps on the same course, I'm debating on which class I should sign up for. I'd be doing this on my Huckler, so I'm just curious to see if anyone has any idea of just exactly how "novice" the Novice Class is.

Anyone else want to do this with me?

Here is the link:
    http://www.warriorssociety.org/Events_And_Results/spring_mtb_classic.html

2. Sway

Sway king of paved DH

I don't know your riding ability, but if you do the intermediate class, I'd leave your Huckler in the garage and go with that hawt 06 Dominator you have. :bang:

3. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

hey DINO, i think you should try riding Southridge, it's an 8 mile XC race course, and gauge yourself on that.

4. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    I may be up to join you on that, DINO :-k...
    Novice or Intermediate? hmmm, I'd venture to say that we probably could do 3 laps, but I might be more comfortable doing 2 since it would be the first time I participate in anything like that. But what the heck do I know?:?:

5. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    I would definately say stick with the 2 lap novice ride. The course is 6 miles but gains 2k ft, that is a lot for 6 miles. Pros do it in 45 minutes. It takes me 1hr 5 minutes to do the 10 mile loop at El Moro which doesn't have as much elevation change so it sounds like this course is sort of tough as far as climbing goes.

Ohman, if I signed up I could be in the 31-45 age group by then :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2006
  6. ECOdork

State Biologist
    El moro sounds like a good base of comparison rob. And now that you mention it, I'd be on the older side of the 17 - 30 category competing against dudes like steal-legs Kippy, and Iron-lung dukethenuke. 8-[

It would be novice class for me. I'm just after the experience of doing an event like this. As I've said before, I'm not a competative dude and have never even done so much as a walk-a-thon, so this would be a novel thing for me.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

We will be having a pre-ride day out at the Flying B.....probably the weekend or 2 before the event. Come out and ride the course and see how you feel. Yes, there is a lot of climbing on the course, but we have added a few new sections of singletrack to help ease up some of the long tedious climbs.

We will be working out there on the new singletracks this Sunday. If any of you would like to help out, we will be working from 9am-2pm. Lunch will be provided afterward.

Shoot me an email if you want to help out. Plese RSVP, don't just show up.

Thanks
    mtnbikej
    [email protected]

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

The climbing isn't that bad. Yeah it sounds like a lot. However, there are several areas and DH's where you get some recovery before beginning the climbing again.

For any of you that did the 6hrs or OC out there last November, it is going to be the same first half of the course, but we are not using the "Warrior Trail" DH that was used in the 6hr. We have created a new singletrack that is more flowing with short risers. The climb out of the bottom of the canyon will be done on a combination of fireroad and new singletrack, whereas at the 6hr it was all fireroad.

We hope to have added about 10-15 minutes of time for us mere mortals to the lap times that were being run at the 6hr event.

Keep an eye out on the Warrior's Society Website for updates and announcements for the preride.

mtnbikej

9. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    I'd stick to the 2 lap at first. I did my first race at Bonelli last fall. Here's what I learned. I'm was used to the pacing of more social rides with my friends and my girlfriend. You know ride, stop, watch someone else ride a techy section, ride more.

When racing you gotta be used to putting out a bigger continual effort the whole time. Plus, you need to have enough reserve to be able to pass when you get the chance.

Also (Dino), ride what you got. At the novice level the field is usually super spread out. So it's more about talent than tools. Sure a lighter bike might help if a bit on the climbs but I wouldn't get too worried about it. If it's not too technical, maybe run a bit lighter tires to shave some grams.

Ugh, I had to move to the >30 older class too. Is it me or do the guys just get faster with age?

10. dukethenuke

dukethenuke Faster than you

Sales
    Home Page:
    Looks like I'm signing up for this race. If only I could have my new bike by then [-o<, but I won't because I need to start saving for the bike.

11. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Just registered in the 31-45 novice class. I've considered entering a race or something similar for awhile now, and this looks like the ideal opportunity to get the feet wet.

Figure someone has to come in last, and damn it, that someone could be me!

Let's do this, Dino. :bang:

12. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Ok DALE, I'm gonna sign up for the Novice division this weekend. I only have a Huckler, so that is what I'll be riding. Like you said DALE, it is a great way to get our feet wet with this aspect of mt. bikes. As long as I enter, there is no way you will finish last. :bang:

13. TURNERob

bum
    Hey Dino, who is this "DALE" guy you speak of? Have we ridden with him before?

14. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    Whoooww! Glad I put this on the calender, lots of interest\\:D/

I havnt registered yet but I think Im gona go for the intermediate. 18miles and 6,000ft of elevation. Doesnt seem too bad after the CC:p
    Should be a fun day if we get lots of STR members out there!

Hey Dale, what Skill Level did you sign up for??

15. TURNERob

bum
    He said novice...errrr....I mean who's DALE?

16. ECOdork

State Biologist
    So dino does that mean you are in the 31 - 45 bracket as well? Sh*t, if that's the case then I may be the bozo strolling in LAST huffin' and puffin' my lungs out in the 17 - 30 group!8-[

17. i am dino

i am dino Guest

i'll be in the 31-45 bracket, novice division.

18. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Geez, all you people signing up. Hm, I'll think about it. If I do it'll be the 17-30 novice class.

19. ECOdork

State Biologist
    Come on george, succumb to the peer pressure and sign up! At the very least we'll get a shirt and some post-ride grub/beer right!?!? :bang:Oh yeah, and good memories, comradery, honor, blah, blah, blah...

20. ArrrKelly

ArrrKelly New Member

Sounds like a tough event. The 4 lapper would hurt bad.