Cyclocross anyone??????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Blakedkeller, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Blakedkeller

Blakedkeller New Member

my bikes.
    hey everyone im new to STR and i just got a CX bike and im looking for places and people to ride with!:wave::wave::wave:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  2. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    Welcome dude. I know there's a few cross guys on here. I'm looking to pick-up a cx bike in the next couple of months as well. It'll make rides like black star and el morro more fun.

3. matty_P

matty_P New Member

medical student
    just got a cross bike also. a lot of rides around here are fine and fun on a cross bike, but riding trails does tend to make pinch flats. check out the marshall ride i did last week.
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...arshall-canyon-gravel-grinder.html#post893631
    let me know if you'd like to meet up sometime to do a ride. i think cross bikes are great to make big loops that have pavement and trails mixed together.

4. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    Cross is fun, but I usually find it's just as fun doling out the beers from the sidelines and heckling a couple rival road-only teams, who show up, but whine about having to ride off-road, and quickly eat shit as soon as anything like handling skills are required. About once a year they drag me out and make me ride. ...usually shuts me up for a week or so. Never been to a cross race in CA. What do you do without snow & freezing mud? Ride on sandy stuff? Curious.

5. matty_P

matty_P New Member

medical student
    i've just been using mine to add some fire roads and not too technical trails into road loops. makes those loops a lot more fun. i agree that you really need cold and wet for proper cross.

6. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I've been racing CX for the last two years (someone has to finish last)
    It's a lot of fun. Usually no weather, lots of grass and dirt. 8 foot high berms can be amazingly painful.
    Shifting based upon grass depth is also odd.
    Season just ended. Clinics and practices tend to start up in August and races in Sept.
    I've never passed on a beer handup, but only been offered one.

7. fourames

fourames New Member

Yea, cyclocross everyone

Gang, as a 28 year cross junkie and proud owner of on of the original stumpy mountain bikes from 1984, gotcha covered. So Cal in general has one of the best cyclocross scenes around if you want to do some racing...socalcross.org. Trail riding, general all around with the bike a is blast and my cross bike sees almost constant use...I've ridden to the central coast and back and never touched pavement on Hwy 46! Can't do that on the road! Enjoy your new toy, it really is a 3 in one. Also, since we are in So Cal albeit the north end of So Cal, be sure to check out the Nor Cal vs.So Cal State Cyclocross Championships next Dec. We just wrapped it last weekend, what a blast. With So Cal's deep MTB roots and the growth of cross, seems we should have 1000 so cal riders there! It's is quite a par-tay---all the best to all, cross on! Sam :clap:

8. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Dunno about that but I live next door to a US Cyclocross National Champion so SoCal must have something going on ;)

9. matty_P

matty_P New Member

medical student
    sounds awesome. do you have a map of the route or suggestion where to look for the route? i've been looking for something like this for a while; did a piece-meal last summer but had more pavement than i'd like.

10. Blakedkeller

Blakedkeller New Member

my bikes.
    So far i've only been able to ride the Fullerton loop. i'm trying to get out there and try other trails.

11. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    you talkin' traditional cross or using your cross bike on some MTB trails suicide-cross?

12. Blakedkeller

Blakedkeller New Member

my bikes.
    i'm going to be riding Fullerton loop Thursday morning around 8-8:15am and then im want to ride on saturday. im down to drive somewhere i just need to back in the oc around 5ish. if anyone wants to ride let me know.

13. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Suicide-cross.. the new SX!

I've engaged in a bit of that. Feels like Russian roulette-- you never know when you'll catch a bullet. Will my front wheel fold? Are my arms going to fall off? Where were all these bumps on the way up? Climbing is a gas; descending gets interesting fast.

My preferred set-up for trails is a steel frame, a fat front tire and cheater brakes (for getting your weight back and looking ahead). Dirt trails are better than rocky ones, and low gears will keep you seated on long, grinder climbs.

Excellent cure for boredom and short attention spans.

14. Evoracer

Evoracer "That Guy"

Mgr
  15. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    A while back i actually took BearSuit's advice from a prior post and now use the drop bars to descend on the chunky/droppy stuff (hands low, but with the best leverage on the brakes). I was originally looking into getting cheater brakes, but now dont feel like I need them. Yes, it FEELS like you're a split second from doing an endo (which you're practically begging for), but somehow the physics work and you get lots of control. But, I will agree that when you do fall, it comes so quickly that there is almost no time to prepare. I found this out recently coming down Chutes at Santiago...

...still cant wait for disc brakes to become economically feasible.

16. matty_P

matty_P New Member

medical student
    i'd love to ride; but i have a lot of studying this week (med school). my schedule is pretty thick the next couple weeks, but i could do a weekend ride after. i'll let you know.

17. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Blakedkeller, your thread got me to drag my cross bike out of the store room and take it for a spin. Did an STT/Luge lap which can be a good loop if you've got the skills. I'd also recommend Borrego/Mustard/Cactus/Live Oak at Whiting, Woods Canyon/Top of the World/Meadows at Aliso, Peter's Canyon, Black Star, and Maple Springs/Harding.

I'd guess Chino Hills has some good loops, and a longer road/dirt loop would be SART/Skyline/Black Star/Santiago/Cannon/SART.

Welcome to OC CX community. :clap:

18. Blakedkeller

Blakedkeller New Member

my bikes.
    awesome i cant wait to try all these places out!!! im so pumped!!!

19. fargy483

fargy483 New Member

I'd be up to pedal some cx... I ride peters canyon and whiting ranch regularly... Kinda still new to oc so trying to make mates to ride with. Let me know!

20. gigerrider

gigerrider New Member

Mechanic/full time student
    I hope to get my but on a CX bike very soon.