Cyclists hit, 1 killed in Laguna Canyon

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Sweetpea, Jun 28, 2013.

1. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    we are much safer in the dirt. so sad to hear.

2. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    I have given this thread a lot of thought and saddened by the latest incidents. While I love riding the MTB, road biking gives me a sense freedom to cut my own route and helps my conditioning for those long mountain climbs.

Today was one of many days I drove to work without ever looking at the phone while the vehicle was traveling at speed. I was thinking what would be the best way to help spread the word regarding the dangers of driving while distracted.

I remember back in the day when there was a big push for everyone to fasten their seatbelts. It took some time, but now a majority of drivers wear them. Petty fines really did nothing for this movement, however, repeat public messages and word of mouth among friends/family/acquaintances probably did, as well as general change in social acceptability. For me, it was a concerned girlfriend at the time and I've been buckling up ever since. It even saved my life.

With time and effort, similar social acceptability (against using phones directly while driving) is possible here. The same people who frowns upon others being "distracted" while driving are not without their own fault in many cases so start from there. With so much "gadgetry" being available in regards to phones and apps, it's going to be an uphill battle. In spite of this, try to reach out to folks you know to make a change. If someone you know or you're in the car with a driver that does, have a little "talk".

I'm sure legislation, city planning, etc. will all have it's own course of action, but an individual contribution and effort can make a difference.
    Let's try to keep our fallen riders in our memories and do what we can to help the future.

3. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Very true, Skflow.

You're a bit more optimistic than me, however. In my opinion, human beings will do what they can get away with. If laws aren't enforced, they won't be effective. People will speed and drive recklessly as long as they believe it is more likely than not that they will get away with it, which is common sense currently.

I'm not a big fan of more laws or government, but it would be nice if some of the more important laws were in fact enforced. I don't know what we're paying taxes for if they aren't going to be enforced...

4. fos'l

fos'l Member

JRA
    Really thoughtful skflow and I'm sure this would have a positive influence. However, as jae points out, the law needs to be enforced too. I don't consider distracted driving incidents as accidents (although this is arguable), and think that distracted drivers who kill someone (bike, pedestrian or another vehicle) should be charged with manslaughter. A few convictions and people would think twice when their phone rang in the vehicle.

5. TranceRider

TranceRider No, I don't Ride a GIANT

IT Project Manager
    Thoughts and prayers to the victims, very sad. This is one of the BIG reasons I stick to the roadways/paved bike paths when I ride on the road.

6. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    @jae2460 / @fos'l,

Yes. I don't see enough being done by the authorities to enforce the no texting or cell phone use (without hands-free) laws at least locally. We also don't hear much about the results of the accident "investigations" from the recent incidents and the outcomes of the drivers. At the very least, it should be treated as serious as a DUI accident with resultant penalties.

Saw this guy down the street on way to work going about his business and straddling the bike lane:
    Distracted Driver.jpg

7. yamadan

yamadan New Member

Just an update. Kevin is doing well, he came into work yesterday in very good spirits. His legs look like he got tangled up in a belt sander..human road rash.. but much better than when I saw him in the hospital. He wants to get back on the bike as soon as he is able..but knows it will be a while. I hope that if I ever was in a similar situation, I'd have as much compassion for the person who hit me as he does. He simply says "she's 24 years old, she's got 60 - 70 years to live with the guilt of taking someones life, what could be worse?" I think Mitch's family feels the same, we'll see.

I know that I've texted or been distracted while driving in the past.. not again.. this hits too close to home.

8. chobie1

chobie1 New Member

Now that's someone that has a lot of life wisdom and that I can respect. I hope Kevin heals up fast and is back to to riding soon.

9. Allthatflash

Allthatflash New Member

Photographer/ Owner of Pedal Power Events
    Another person killed and another accident that will go unpunished and classified as a accident...****ing BS, needs to stop

10. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

It's great to hear that the surviving rider, Kevin, is recovering. And I admire the forgiveness for the driver, but until people are held accountable and punished adequately for taking someone's life and there are serious consequences for that, people will continue to drive carelessly and more people will die unecessarily.

I'm actually glad for the surviving rider that he is able to and feels like forgiving the driver, as hopefully that will lead to him recovering fully--mentally / spiritually, etc.

How can we say that we value human life when people can cause the death of another human being and get off with what virtually amounts to a slap on the wrist and claiming it to be an accident.

I'd also like to see riders with black box cameras on their bikes, helmets or person so that drivers can't lie and get away with killing someone due to their selfish carelessness.

11. yamadan

yamadan New Member

Thank you to the mods for cleaning up the thread.

12. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    Yeah. Reading through some of the comments on this thread yesterday, I was reminded of why I don't visit this forum so often anymore.
    Glad to hear your friend is recovering and sorry to hear about the death of another rider on the road. Thoughts go out to his family.

13. yamadan

yamadan New Member

Kevin's back at work, well, sort of. Halfday. In good spirts. So, recovering well.