Suggestion CX forum

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by protijy, Nov 25, 2008.

1. protijy

protijy Bean Town Bonehead

Mech Engineer
    Home Page:
    With the popularity of CX and all the talk going on in the racing and general forum I think a CX forum would go over big!

2. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Please, keep spandex wrapped junk in the ladies forum.

NO, everyone knows cross bikes are silly, please keep them in the roadie hangout where they belong as most here do not like riding only fire roads. Racing and training maybe but this is a fat tire board and there will NEVER be a fixie, CX, or tri forum as it would rapidly fill with tumble weeds.

Thanks for understanding, and I'm sure you look great in spandex.

3. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    I don't know that there are that many CX riders and even less racers, so I agree with the tumbleweeds comment. However there are many trails I would feel just fine riding my SS CX that are more than just "fire roads". And as well the CX bike requires more skill and attention to ride than my full squish bike, so it's much more fun and challenging on most trails anyway.

4. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    No hate, but still no.

I'm not trying to hate, and agree to being much more alert at the helm. When I first started mountain biking it was on a Giant Nutra of all things in about 95-96 so I am down with the crossers. It progressed from there to riding BMX bikes up on the main divide and San Juan and many others. Just like 29, SS, rigid, fixed there are way too many disciplines to have a separate mod and thread for each. I could care less how folks enjoy their pain, but my nightmares of SS, rigid, and cross bikes are far behind. Skinny tires, rim brakes, and chasing the clock is for racers and roadies (not that there's anything wrong with that) and I don't subscribe to those threads. I want to find some new trails and have as good a time as these creaky old bones will allow, now if we could just find a way to also filter out religion and politics this place would be perfect.:lol:

Mortuary, anytime you want to race cross down Joplin, Jager, Noble's highway to hell, Coldwater Etc. I'm not trying to sound gnarly but that is mountain biking, skinny tires cannot even make it through the sand pits going up whiting. Again I don't intend to diss, mad respect for the crossers out there, but they are NOT MTB's.

5. pmortuary

pmortuary They call me D2

Lead CAD Designer
    I would assume that most ride theirs on a trail? This is ST(rail)R what is it that can't be classified under general workshop of racing & training? Something we shouldn't see?

6. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Just post CX stuff in the roadie forum, that's where it has always been posted until just recently :)

7. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    Only problem I have with that is I never see CX posts as I never go near the rodie forum. I don't ride on the road with my Roger, I don't wear spandex, and I haven't raced CX (yet). So at a minimum I don't mind CX stuff being with all the other mountain riding disciplines. I do agree there won't be much activity in a CX only forum.

8. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    CX bikes are just rigid 29ers with dropbars and bad brakes.
    Why segregate??? :beer:

9. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I suppose if there were enough demand for additional forums George would add them but I believe the original idea for STR was to be an inclusive community with as few forums as possible.

10. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Sounds like a personal problem to me:lol:, it is safe to go in the roadie forum.....most of the time!

As far as Disco's comment on a CX rig in Whiting, anytime. Actually, the SART trail is perfect for the CX rig too:bang:

11. protijy

Mech Engineer
    Home Page:
    oh wow I guess I touched a nerve:)

I mtb more then anything, he'll I rode my freeride rig down noble Sunday.....

But I toy with skinny tires and thought a cx forum to disscuss training, races, tips, general cx stuff
    But hey I'll just stick with posting my skinny tire sillyness in the roadie section :)

12. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

[​IMG]

Ahh... ignorance is bliss!:?:
    'Cross bikes can indeed make it thru the sand pits at WR. Even SS 'crossers! They can also negotiate Rattesnake, Rock It and Holy Jim!!! Some Tandem 'Cross bikes can manage most of the local trails also:wave:

'Cross bikes are definitely NOT MTB's. Disk brakes and bar ends are cheating in UCI races. Although I did ride the Frankenbike at the "Storm the Beach" race this year:lol:

Road is not 'Cross, MTB is not 'Cross. 'Cross is Cross!
    I thought MTB stood for "Move those Barriers" ??

I'll volunteer to moderate a 'Cross forum. Seems to be enough interest here for sure. Especially for the casual non-hardcore-racer folks.

[​IMG]

13. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Can we have a special forum for former SoCal residents who now live in NorCal? I think we would overtake the CX forum in popularity.

14. Rawhead

Rawhead Member

I don't see a problem with expanding the horizons of this forum. I ride MTB's, road bikes... hell, I might even ride a CX bike someday. Why NOT have a forum for this type of riding? We have forums for road bikes, down hill bikes... even girls who ride bikes. Why hate? :?:

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Isnt this kinda specific. I now they had to try hard to get a DH/FR type forum that now includes all Gravity type riding, and even BMX. There is no real offshoot CX to help pad this area. Why cant the races go in the race part with the rest and the bike related question go in the workshop.

Not to mention Cylcocross has appeared in 173 thread in almost 3 years not much demand IMO

16. Lefty Kev

Lefty Kev Exiled Brit

small business owner
    Can we have a tricycle forum? My son rides one and the tires are pretty fat...

What?...Oh 8-[

17. protijy

Mech Engineer
    Home Page:
    yea but most just out CX which is way to common to search for :)

thats a pretty bad ass pic thru the barbwire :bang:

18. velo-ceraptor

velo-ceraptor New Member

im too new to tell anyone how to run things around here....but i support the cx forum or at least a list of cx friendly trails...and yeah more than just the fire roads...some single tracks with not to bumpy trails (lets face it thats what the suspension is for)

19. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I say no, there already too many forums for people to post in the wrong place. :-s Threads that belong in trailhead end up on trail talk or vise versa. Threads in the general that should be in pub. We mods have enough forums to moderate IMHO. We ride too. ;)

20. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I agree completely!

But on a related subject...
    Based on the forum name, I've never known the difference between those forums based on the forum title name. Trail Talk and Trailhead? Really? What's the difference? If someone were to ask me which one gets future ride discussions vs. ride reports, I couldn't tell you. I only know which one is which by looking for the RRs (and noting that one is listed above the other). Otherwise, I have no clue which one is which - and I'd like to think I've been here for a while.

By the way, in other forums I participate in, the General forum is always used for things unrelated to the host topic. In other words, the General forum would be a place where you talk about non-bike related things. And one forum I know of (although I can't remember what it is off hand) actually does have a Pub forum - it's for talking about beer and related things! It's not just for non-topic discussions (and I think it's an auto/truck based forum).

What I'm saying is that based on STR forum titles compared to many other forums, it's really easy to understand why there are so many misplaced threads.