Road Ride Report Crystal Lake via Hwy 39 9/11/10

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by BoingBoing, Sep 11, 2010.

1. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    So I swore that I would be a good STRer and take more pictures today. And I did. With my phone at first, and then later with my phone that had sweat all over the 'lens.' So they suck and it's just as if I had never vowed to take the pix necessary to make an interesting RR.

However, the whole ride can be summed up in these two pix:
    [​IMG]
    Here's some guy you probably haven't seen before, at the bottom of Hwy 39. H3ll, I have never seen him on a roadie bike before.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the same guy, sans smile, up at the stated destination. Job well done!

Of course, those of you who are familiar with this ride, know we had some work still to do. Somehow, the wind that had been blowing in our faces as we climbed, did a 180 before our descent. And got much stronger. Picture us hot tired and sweaty, pedaling downhill at 15 mph. Something is wrong with that picture.

Who knows? Maybe this is the first installment in a long saga culminating with the Big Loop up Cajon Pass and down 39... Stay tuned...

2. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Looks like you had a great ride! It's good to know that I'm not the only one who suffers from Tailwind Dystrophy. I'll be looking forward to your next ventures (reading about them of course).

FYI, Tony Cruz posted a Fondo for next Saturday on his Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100888729973976
    70 miles, Long Beach to Dana Point (open to traffic).

3. David Edward

David Edward New Member

Creative Stuff
    I rode 39 up to Dawson's saddle for the first time a few weeks ago. Loved it. Kind of hope they never open it to cars. Will have to check out Crystal Lake next time.

4. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    Yes, that stretch from Islip Saddle to Dawson's is very nice. It's also breathtaking the whole way from Dawson's to Inspiration Point.

Crystal Lake is kind of ho-hum... I wouldn't turn off of 39 to get there except Bob wanted to tell his friends that he had ridden there. :?: