Counting Coup & Vision Quest

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by LBmtb, Sep 11, 2006.

1. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Who's gonna it this time? Date is "TBA" in spring of '07. After spectating at the first aid station at the last VQ, I told myself I would at least try the counting coup. After talking to Craig though, I've been playing with the vision quest idea.

I know this is super early but we need time to train, right? Maybe start tossing in some longer mileage rides every now and then. So . . . who's gonna be there?

Registration links
    Vision Quest
    Counting Coup

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2006
  2. Shannon

Shannon ........

I'm gonna go for it. Maybe some of you guys could try to talk Bruce into it as well....

3. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Does he need 'the speech?'

4. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

yyeaaahh yeeahhh give himdaa speeecchhh CUZZ!! muuhahhaahaaaa! :lol: in a diff note I'm deff thinking of doing the Counting Coup but than again Vision is sounding sooo much sweeettaa!!=P~

5. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Ann and I are planning on doing Counting Coup. I thought about Vision Quest, but by the time I finish the CC course, I'm sure my a$$ will be on fire. BTW, we've never ridden over 30 miles in one day so the CC course would be a challenge.

6. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    wait, what are we talking about?

7. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
  8. PHAT TIRE

PHAT TIRE Riders on the solar storm

Vehicle Operations Manager
    Great experience last year but it ruined my riding for about 3 weeks. Or was that burn out phase from all of the pre-riding? See the Avatar below? That's from when ocrider, von Skipp and Steve (forgot his nickname right now...cocktails) and I did the freezing pre-ride. They definately helped me pull through and complete the pre-ride. I highly suggest that you try to do a distance or even the course to check your ability for this ride. It's tough but the crews out there and the people hel you mentally through it.

[​IMG]

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Did VQ this year and finished. There is a very large difference/step up from Counting Coup to Vision Quest. I had done the CC a few years back. The adddtional 11 miles you have to do for the VQ is agonizing. The climb up Trabucco to West Horsethief, in addtion to the 3 mile hike-a-bike after 40+ miles really makes you suffer. Plus you have an addtiional time cutoff to make for the VQ.

Things are changing a little for '07.

1) There will be only 1 start time. We will no longer have the early start(5am) and the normal start(6am). Everybody will start at 5:30am. This makes time keeping much easier.

2) Also, in the past years, the CC riders had only 1 time cutoff, 9:30am at the bottom of the Silverado Motorway. Unfortunately some people took advantage of this and took the whole day to do the CC. So for this yaar, there will be a time cutoff at the bottom of the Motorway and another at Santiago Peak(time not yet decided).

3) In the past buses have been provided to shuttle you to the start at Blackstar Canyon. This year we will not be providing shuttles to the start. You will be responsible for getting yourself to the start. Carpool with a buddy and park a car at O'neil Park and and one at Blackstar Canyon. If you can arrange this yourself, there will be more than enough people driving cars back to Blackstar....we will make sure you get a ride.

4) The number of participants is being increased this year.I belleve we are upping the number by 50 on both VQ & CC.

5) Register early.....this event sells out earlier and earlier each year.

All that being said.....I will probably be out there again in '07. Gotta drop my time by 1-1.5 hrs.

mtnbikej:clap::clap:

10. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Thanks for the heads up, J. Now I'm leaning towards CC again.

11. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Don't make me say it. ;)

12. Shannon

Shannon ........

Yes he does. Lay it on thick too.

I think Bruce could use some of your peer pressure too, Jose.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2006
  13. i am dino

i am dino Guest

I've been throwing the idea of doing the Counting Coup. Longest ride i've done was the Toads festival this past year (about 28 miles). Last year Gouge and I went to the first Aid Station at the bottom of the Motorway to support the riders and our friends Steve, Kippie and OCrider. Dale met up with us also. We got there around 7:45 a.m. and it was FREEZING cold and we were in jeans, thick jackets and even had gloves on!

14. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    You guys should all try the CC. Go for the VQ if your a man. Both Steve and I immediately regretted not doing the VQ after finishing.

Once you sign up it will give you a big motivation to ride and train. I think some of our training rides where actually tougher than race day.

15. mtnbikej

To do the VQ....you should be able to do the CC as a training ride. YOu should be able to complete the CC before you even consider the VQ.

There is a good reason why a lot of riders do not complete the VQ. It ends up being much more difficult than they could imagine.

mtnbikej

16. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    44 miles is enough to make my ass sore, hopefully the docs will get my leg aches figured out soon. I'd like to try the CC :bang:

17. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    I rode the Vison Quest last year simply to have fun and finsih. Its awsome event. The burger on top was horse-theif was pricelss. But in all reality CC is like walk in the park comapared to the VQ. Before I realy never thought the last loop as a bug deal but I rode its harder than u think exspecailly after 8000Ft of climbing, If you can ride Blackstar to motorway with in the cut off time and still feel semi fresh at the first aid station your probaly fit enough to finsih VQ.

18. SScheetz

SScheetz Cracking frames since '88

CAD systems support
    I would encourage any of you to at least take the CC challenge. My wife is pretty much of an average mountain biker in relatively decent shape. She finished it with only 2 months of serious training. At her 5AM start it was 28 deg. and dark for an hour into the ride. Up to this point she had never even ridden at night. She was actually pretty energetic and still smiling at the finish. I am so proud of her.

19. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    I can well imagine. Can you imagine being at the finish line and then having to do a 180 and go up Trabuco. I would imagine it is quite mentally draining, let alone physically draining.

Four hour cut off for Blackstar - Motorway doesn't sound too bad. Of course, I've actually never done the Blackstar - Motorway ride yet.

Good call ocrider. I really need to find out how I do here. Winger has a 7:00AM start time for Blackstar - Motorway this Saturday the 16th. C'mon everybody, let's all see how we fare. LINKY

20. mtnbikej

Problem is.....if it takes you 4 hrs to do Blackstar to Motorway, more than likely you will not make it to the Peak by 12:30.:?::?: