Cost of hitch installation?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by vukyle, Jun 3, 2008.

1. launchpad

launchpad Member

Unemployed and Living In My Mom's Basement
    Orange County but want to move to the Inland Empir
    You need a torque wrench to do these installs?

2. bing!

bing! Active Member

If all youre hauling are bikes, it's not absolutely necessary. But if you want a good job done, you'll want it torqued, you probably need a hole saw (some 2 inch models puts brackets inside the frame), undercoating spray (to rust proof the hole u make in the frame), jack stands (for when you need to move the muffler can) and some sealant, for models that anchor into the spare tire well that have you pop off that plastic cap in there.

I have a CL ad and install a couple of these a month in the summer. I torque everything because you never know what people are going to tow. I also include a short primer on tow tongue, gross tow weights for safety and how check the hitch annually.

3. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Or you can go to hitch crafters in OC and have a custom one welded in.

4. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

i put a 2" on my outback recently. it is straight forward work, but for that car the muffler is really in the way, even with it dropped off the hangers. not a hard job, just hard work, my hands were raw afterwards but I work in an office, too. Good option with Outback you can remove the bumper and insert bolts for the hitch without having to drill holes in frame. it takes longer but to me it was better than drilling through the frame.

5. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    I got mine from Draw tight for $89 and installed it in about 1 hour.

6. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    Often times there are sales/coupons on torque wrenches from places like harbor freight and auto parts stores. It's a good cheap investment, and if you're not using it regularly, it'll stay within spec for years. Just make sure to unload it for storage.

7. melster

melster Member

Software
    I'm not that experienced at car stuff, and I was able to mount mine by myself in about an hour and a half. I just backed my van onto a ramp and used a jack stand to hold one end while I threaded in a couple of bolts on one side.

I have to say, the instructions made taking the exhaust off the rubber hanger sound easy. Oh hell no. Do yourself a favor and get this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012S9A5U/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While I'm sure it's not absolutely necessary to unhook your exhaust, doing so sure made the process a lot simpler.

8. MTBJOE57

MTBJOE57 mtbjoe57

IT
    I recently installed a Class I on my 2011 CRV in about an hour. The Class I hitches are actually a little more complicated to install on a CRV than the Class III hitches.

9. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

I'll definitely get that tool next time I try to install on an older car. The subie forums have a lot of detailed info. even recommendin dish soap over wd40 to get the rubber hangers off. I used the soap and it was still effin' hard, getting back on was harder. I should have let the bumper cover sit in the sun for a couple hours to get more pliable. It took way mor force than i imagined to pull it off.

biggest lesson for me was it is much better to do this when the car is new, i probably could have completely disconnected the muffler at the exhaust and then it would be a piece of cake, but 4 years of corrosion made that impossible.

10. launchpad

launchpad Member

Unemployed and Living In My Mom's Basement
    Orange County but want to move to the Inland Empir
    Oh Jesus. Took me 2 hours when instruction manual said 15 min. Didn't torque. Said 86 ft lbs but I just tightened as much as I could.

11. bing!

bing! Active Member

Sounds about right. First time always takes time. I take about an hour including snipping heat shields and cutting plastic fairings when needed.

12. noweyout

noweyout Can't kick dirt habit!!

I bought a curt hitch off ebay for $100 and installed it myself (1.5 hrs - First time). Since you are in Temple, you are real close to me and I can lend a hand if needed.