Conquer The Mountain: Harding TT Race

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by scottstafford, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottstafford

scottstafford Member

Sound Guy
    Is anyone here planning on racing the first ever "Conquer The Mountain: Harding TT Race?"

I'd like to give it a shot, but $55 is a little steep for me at the moment and I'll have to pass on this one. However, I am thinking about riding up to the finish line that morning at four corners to at least catch some of the action. Not sure which route I want to take yet though, was most likely thinking a B*/MD/4-corners route and back.. Any takers on that one? :bang:

2. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

So I'm going to spend $55.00 for something I can do on Strava whenever I want?

3. scottstafford

scottstafford Member

Sound Guy
    Pretty much.. That's why I say $55 is a little steep for a ride up the mountain.

4. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    AND you HAVE to park at cooks and ride in? Or be disqualified for a shuttle :?:

No mention on what the funds go for, didn't see a payout - or a cause to support.

5. scottstafford

scottstafford Member

Sound Guy
    I can see the whole "no parking" thing at the actual trail head, esp. if they get the 300 people, but I agree, to DQ someone over getting dropped off is a little much. But hey, maybe that's how they got the neighborhood on board without complaints? As for where the payments go, now that you mention it, I'm a bit curious myself, seems odd that the money just goes into their bank account without an explanation of where it goes after the fact..

6. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    ^ I get the no parking at the trailhead...but to FORCE you to park at cooks and ride over? They said you'd be disqualified if you were dropped too close - crazy.

Still like to see a ride report and hopefully the MTB'rs and others support cooks and help keep the positive attitude towards riders.

7. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    My thoughts exactly.

Also, if it's "Conquer the Mountain" shouldn't they be going all the way to the peak?

I am thankful for the post though. I like being warned about which days to stay away from my favorite trailheads.

8. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    People, people. Focus.

You can ride almost any race course on your own. And the price seems about right.

The important thing is: it's a time trial. This is your chance to see Garrett Garcia destroying the field--and then prank them afterward. It'll be like Lance Armstrong hosting Punk'd. Or Ashton Kutcher riding a stage of the TDF. They're making people bike in to keep the paparazzi away...

:beer:

9. BIO

BIO New Member

A wise post finally!

10. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    They're throwing a schwag list together. The entry fee is still $55 but you get $20 worth of coupons right off the top.

Like to see a raffle for a frame or a big fat gift certif at one of the shops in with this.

http://www.hardingtt.com/

I'm in:

"2) Over $5000 worth of cool stuff to give away and more coming "

Comment for organizers: Rode Harding with a couple of strong women yesterday. They asked that there be seperate women's categories.

11. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    300 Entries * $20 Jax Coupons = $6000

12. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Yea, it's taking a while to nail these guys down on just what's what here. I still can't get any details from one of the shop sponsors about just what they're kicking in beyond having their name on the web page.

13. dpmod

dpmod New Member

First off Kudos for putting this together, anytime someone wants to organize a race in OC I am all for it; not sure if I will be in town right now but if I am and can still enter will show up; as for all the people complaining, regarding the costs and not being able to park/shuttling etc.., REALLY, I mean really; if you can't afford it then don't do it, you can ride the same hill 364 days a year but without the added excitment of a race and people to chase and be chased; as far as riding to the start, do it now anyways and it really is a good warm-up, am sure the limited parking at the Sanctuary and the people living in the Canyon had something to say about the parking and shuttling limitations, so be it, kudos for going thru the all the hassles of putting on such an event and we should all support such efforts instead of being critical!

14. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I see that this event has a limit of 300 entrants and the USFS limits the Warriors to 175 entrants per event.
    Makes me wonder if this event is USFS permitted.

15. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Actually the Pow Wow which is both the VQ and CC combined is over 300 with 175 for each. It's been "Grandfathered" in, but you are right about the Traverse and Toad Festival being limited to 175 per event. Also, in order to get a permit, you have to have insurance to cover the participants.

16. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I was counting the Pow Wow as its' two separate events - 175 each.
    Still wonder if this one is above board.

17. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    I was thinking it might be the Harding "Hunger Games" TT....weapons would be handed out and thier use would be encouraged, that way riders would be "eliminated" and would not reach the top and thus the race would be in complaince with the 175 limit.

18. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Maybe they need to spice it up a little by release packs of zombies after the start. A la http://runforyourlives.com/

19. olis1

olis1 Member

Mechanical Engineer, Robotics
    This race actually sounds really cool. If you can't set a personal best in this venue then when can you? Should be pretty exciting. I like the whole TT idea. Something new to uphill mountain biking as far as I know.

One thing I'm wondering about is how you get back down. Do we need to wait until the last racer is at the top or will they let us ride back down Harding to get out. Or maybe we have to go down Maple Springs the long way back to the car.

Does anyone know if they are going to order the start oldest/slowest categorie first or pro's first? It would be more exciting slowest/oldest categories first because of all the passing. And the race would finish earlier because the pro's would start last. And everyone would ride harding having faster riders passing them.

20. guero

guero iFroth

there is nothing quite like the spectacle of a pro rider overtaking a weekend warrior while going uphill on a fireroad!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.