Coming Back from Injury

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by herzalot, Jun 2, 2014.

1. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Hi there everybody (all 23 of you)!

What goes on inside your head when you return to a sport after a serious injury? Are you cautious, or do you immediately revert to your pre-injury self? I've come back from serious injury twice in skiing - once when I was 13 and once when I was 36. It took me about one run to revert to my normal self. I was a younger man (or boy) then.

I recently returned to my bike after my little crash that resulted in getting knocked out, concussion, facial laceration, bruised hip and dislocated shoulder. Two nights in the hospital. I have been doing physical therapy (aka Personal Torture) on my shoulder for two months.

Memorial Day weekend at Big Bear was my first venture back to dirt. My PT said the vibration of riding would hurt more than putting weight on my hands. I tested it on a fireroad and small section of Skyline Trail. The fireroad had its usual share of choppy vibration - and my shoulder handled it fine. The next day I ventured off for a real ride of about 15 miles and 2000' of climbing/descending. All went well. more importantly, I had no real reservations about riding.

Last Saturday was my first ride back in familiar territory - Whiting-Luge-Whiting. We all know that the run down from the top of STT to the Flag Pole hill is pretty choppy at speed - how would that feel? Would I be spooked or tentative? Short answer - nope. I actually had to pull over because I was running up on some other riders and didn't want to ruin my run by going too slow!

So on down The Luge we went, after a quick grind up to the flagpole, no pause, and dropping in. I knew within the first 50 yards that I was me. I was not tentative, apprehensive, spooked, nervous or sore. I looked ahead, picked my way around my friends and let off the brakes. Wheeeeee! I was very conscientious about pedal placement and not getting on the gas while turning, and appropriately cautious on a couple of sketchier spots. The bike felt phenomenal, and it was sooooo nice to be back on board and charging. Having not ridden The Luge in three months, I was pleasantly surprised to see how roughed-up it was in spots.

So - bottom line is - riding mountain bikes is really, really fun! Nothing like three months off to remind you. I am soooo glad to be back on board. I doubt I will take to the air much at Snow Summit, or charge some nastier stuff on my DH bike, but who knows? Every injury and recovery does tend to add a little bit of caution to the mix, especially as we age. But right now - all feels well and I am super appreciative (and knocking on wood).

:bang:

2. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    I had taken some spills growing up as riding was my only form of transportation. Nothing that laid me out int he hospital, but I gotta say... there are some things that I haven't been able to get back even after getting back on the saddle consistently.

I'm glad you haven't lost your mojo.

3. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    So so stoked for you Chris!! I'm really looking forward to hitting BB and SS on Father's Day weekend w you.

Beers are on me .....

4. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    FREE BEERS!! Hmmmmm........ I heard he likes super dank IPA's.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  5. ridinrox

Realtor/Full Realty
    Just as you, he's a Pilsner guy. You guys have not matured to manly beers yet ... In due time. LOL

6. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    My younger years were filled with a whole lot of broken bones and forced time outs but I always bounced back with no reservations. My 30's and 40's passed relatively quiet except for a few knee surgeries and a noticeable slowing down mostly due to the loss of fitness. Getting into biking was fantastic. Dropped some serious weight; enjoyed a huge increase in fitness and finally took a big hit. The broken bone was no biggie given my past but the effects of the concussion were very dramatic. I only lost my vision for a only few minutes but damn did that put a fear in me - the hospital too. The neurosurgeon really gave me the drill sergeant orders on future head trauma.

That fear coupled with finally accepting that as a small business owner I had little to fall back on if I wrecked myself really changed what I was willing to risk. I was never a daredevil but I now happily walk sections that I would have at least tried in the past. Since I started riding for fitness and not adrenaline, it wasn't too hard to change my mindset. I love watching others attack the big drop or big air. It's just not in the cards for me anymore and I surprisingly don't miss it. I just really like to ride.

Kudos to you for not letting the demons get inside your head.

7. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Chris great to see you back at it.. minus the hospital stay and 3 mos of rehab, I have taken some spills the last few seasons (both skiing and biking) that have resulted in some nice rib fractures, and I can say for me it's tough to not think about those crashes when trying to push it. Especially the section on MM that took me down has become a real thorn in my side.. I just can't get out of my own head and open it up through that chunky tree section after going down so hard last season.. I love that you so quickly got back up to your high speed self and you're not getting in your own head! Also, looks like you will be in BB during Fathers Day weekend.. we will be there as well.. hope to see you.. Jim

8. ScottV

ScottV .

Electrical Engineer
    Welcome back to the Luge!

The only big injury I have had was 20 years ago. I shattered my hand from a bad crash on the mountain bike. It took a good six months for the hand to handle any weight but I got right back at it. Cool that you got back at it now. Keep on riding...

Scott

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

It is not so much getting back on the bike after a serious injury....you tend to go right back to how you rode before, as long as your body could physically do it.

The stepping stone will be how you do after your first crash back....doesn't have to be a big crash, but one where you impact the area that you just recovered from.

When I broke my ankle, I was scared to do a panic foot down. After the first few times it wasn't an issue. I was then worried that I would not be able to twist my foot to get clipped out in time. 1st crash, popped right out.

When I broke my shoulder, I went OTB 1 week before the Ortho was going to give me the go ahead to assume life as normal. Landed directly on that shoulder....thought about it for a second....moved it around....it was good to go.

Now these were broken bones so they heal different than separated shoulders, which seem to get weaker each time.

But over time you just get over it.

10. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Sounds like you have no mental or physical limitations with your comeback, glad you're back at it and feeling comfy.

I still can't do big jumps after a bad ankle break many years ago at Summit, but then I couldn't really jump successfully before that either (hence the broken ankle). Call it half mental, half lack of skill and unwilling to try too hard for fear of more or worse damage.
    And still don't have the grip strength or pinky mobility after my silly broken hand a year ago. Only bothers me on fast rough stuff like Luge. Don't think that's mental, just physical sensation of not having a good grip on the bars. Smoother stuff is no problem to go fast and have fun.
    :bang:

11. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    A neck injury sure gets into your head...

12. bing!

bing! Active Member

I'm still getting my nerve back.

13. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

Glad to hear you're back on the bike Chris. We gotta get some bb runs in.

14. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Glad youre getting better chris.

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I had two big crashes in a short time period, less than 5 months. First one was stupid washout but resulted in dislocated shoulder. I came back just fine from that one. Then the other shoulder got destroyed in Whistler on a big step down and I have yet to really mentally recover. I am not sure why one was no big deal and the other was such a mind f. Maybe it was combo of the two, no clue.

16. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    I took a nasty crash at Whistler last time I was there (2012). Got sideways on a jump on Freight train and never got it straightened out. Hit really, really hard with a sound that my friend said was sickening. Fortunately only suffered some severely bruised ribs, however, I have lost my formerly intense desire to go back to Whistler, and lost my willingness to progress my jumping skills. That crash got in my head way more than the recent injury - maybe because I have no recollection of the recent one, or because I can correct the cause of it easy enough.

Oh, and thanks everybody!

17. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    #13 Checking in! I'm no stranger to crashes and wouldn't consider myself a noob either. Over the past few years I've had one close call (near death) almost going over the side of the luge, partial broken ankle trying to case a small jump at Aliso, body slammed at the hell ride (having too much fun btw), crashed at least once every time riding PC (another case of having too much fun) and most recently a bad spill at Whiting slipping on a wet spot getting body slammed into the ground chest first. What I've learned is no matter how many times you crash you never get any better at it. Lol. It's really remarkable how fast the body recovers after an injury...too bad I can't say the same about my ego. That will take a little more time to get back. I'm glad you didn't suffer any major issues from the concussion. Welcome back Herzalot!

18. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

Why would you try to case a jump?

19. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    I will be up there, but I don't know that I will be riding park. I might bring the big bike, but I know me - if I bring it, I will want to use it. If I use it, I will not have the self-discipline to NOT try to clear some jumps and to just ride around. It doesn't help that some of the biggest jumps at SS are under the lift. In my head is this commentary from the lift "look at that asshat on that great DH bike - 'hey old man, if you don't want to use that Knolly as designed, give it to me'..."

If I am smart and self-disciplined, I will save the jumping and higher risk trails until late July or August. I don't know that my marriage could take another mtb injury. :lol: :-k Although, in my defense, I've only had one mtb crash requiring hospitalization or medical intervention in 24 years of riding (knock on wood). Lots of bruised ribs, bruised back, bruised hip, hairline elbow fracture...

So that said - unless you are riding Skyline, I may not see you and Ryan this coming weekend. Have a great time and keep the rubber side below your waist.

PS - Going back to the scene of the crime this morning for the first time. Wish me luck. Maybe I can find the rest of my face.

20. ridinrox

Realtor/Full Realty
    ^^I picked it up yesterday Chris while I was there; I'll give it to you later - I gotz it stored in a zip lock on ice.