Coach Suggestions

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Politi-Cal, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Politi-Cal

Politi-Cal New Member

Do you guys have any suggestions on a a cycling coach? I am interested in doing some endurance races starting this spring and want some guidance in my training.

I have done many sports in the past and have always had more fun (and better results) while working with a coach/trainer instead of going it alone. I know that I will never be a pro but I do like the idea of having someone shorten my learning curve.

I normally ride in the Santa Monica Mountains so someone that is local would be a major plus. Thanks in advance for your help.

p.s. If there is anyone in my area that is looking for a training partner or is willing to throw in some training advice it would be greatly appreciated. :wave:

2. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Although I don't know who this Mike Brown guy is, I here he's a coach and doesn't have a job and I think he's in LA. Sorry, I don't have any contact info.

3. grimix

grimix New Member

my advice to you is to drink heavily. Paypal me $10 for more.

4. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    PM me, I'm no coach, but bounce some questions off me and I'll offer some advice.

5. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Not in your area, but for those in OC and interested in this thread...

http://www.cyclingpros.com

Been doing Robert Kahler's series of clinics and have been able to maintain my Endurance speed for 12-hour MTB races and Double Centuries for the past three years even though I'm only able to put 400-500 miles on the bike/month. Its also helped me target where I'm weakest and build that. Its in a group environment, and the goals for most are centuries+ and 6+ hour MTB rides/races.

6. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    I second the torture Clinic, very effective regiman and you can ride / fide better riders to ride with. It is more road oriented but it will make you a better cyclist.

7. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    You might check out Dave Jordaan at http://cybercyclecoach.com . He has programs for both road and mtb, skill levels from bike tourists to pro racers. He's in OC but gives you a plan to execute and gives you feedback.

8. Innes

Innes Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    If you are thinking of the same Michael Brown I am thinking of, he's still coaching, but he's also building some super awesome custom frames in Pittsburgh, Pa.

http://maestrocycles.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
  9. el cap

el cap Active Member

Ron, who runs the OC enduro racing events, will be offering some advanced enduro skills training sessions before next season's enduro races (I just talked to him this past week). You can contact him at OC Bike Garage or look for his OC Parks Enduro Racing thread.

10. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    I do some coaching for beginners and up. I race endurance at the expert level. Just came back from doing 12 hours of Temecula.

I would like to do more rides in the Santa Monicas but I mostly ride in the Angeles Forest. I could help as best as possible via email and maybe even do some rides together.

Some questions I would ask mayself are:

What is endurance to me? Time, distance, or climbing plus time/distance?

What I mean by this is what is your target race? Anyone who races endurance has one or many. For me it's the 12 hours of Temecula. I race solo, so I look at race in this formula. 9.5 miles +/_ w/1500 feet of climbing per lap.

So if my aim is to do 10 laps at this event that would end up looking like this.

95 miles w/ 15000 of climbing in roughly 10 hours of racing.

What's that all mean? How much training do I need to do to have a good race?

Well that all depends on you. For me since I work a Monday to Friday job I ride at least 2-3 days during the week doing something easy like 2.5 hours and 2000-3500 feet of climbing. On the weekends I'll ride both Saturday and Sunday averaging about 6 hours w/ 6000-9000 feet of climbing both days. If you can put in more hours in the saddle such as 8 hours with the same amount of climbing you'll become even more comfortable during a race.

Now that's one example anyone can use for the 12 hours of Temecula.

It is the same example I would use for training for almost any endurance event.

This is the first part I would start with, how much time can I commit to training? Now this is all subject to change if you're just looking to do smaller events at half the amount or doing a team, ect.

I would also tell you that off the bike training is as important as on the bike.

We can start there, if you or anyone reading this post has any training questions I'd be happy to answer them. Including techincal riding questions, how to ride over anything.

Hope this helps.

Sean

11. Zulu

Zulu New Member

Thats alot of good advise.

12. slacker

slacker Rides Again!!!

Wrench
    And nobody around here has the resume this guy does.

Anyone else around here who else has a Rainbow Jersey up on their wall?