CC/VQ reports :) / Preliminary Results (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by quikflip27, Mar 20, 2010.

1. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

My belated RR...

Highlights:

--I got the coolest number ever: 357! Do you feel lucky, punk?

--Black Star light parade. Way cool to see everyone streaming up the switchbacks.

--I was able to ride everything between Black Star and Motorway. Last year, I had to push the bike up the climb at mile 12.5.

--No leg cramps from Black Star to Motorway. Last year, the cramps started at the top of Black Star.

--Last year, Kevin/Xhuskr saved my day with a packet of mustard. This year, I was able to repay him with interest. Kevin didn't need any mustard packets, but his riding partner needed several.

--My brother Brian joined me at Maple Springs and rode the rest of the course. I have three brothers and we're hoping to all do the CC next year.

--No walking between Maple Springs and the top of Santiago Peak. Had to do some HAB on this section last year.

--The cheers at the finish line were awesome! My wife Collette and my friend Dan were part of the crowd. Dan was entered in the CC but pulled out his entry a few weeks ago because he wasn't ready--next year, man!

Lowlights:

--I had experimented with my crank length and installed a shorter set of cranks. My right leg loved the shorter crank, but my left leg...not so much. My left knee was so sore that by the time we started down Holy Jim I couldn't pedal with my left leg.

Skipping to the end:

--Holy Jim to the finish was a combo of coasting, limping, and pedaling with my right leg only. There was no way I was gonna quit. I think people cheered louder at the finish when they saw the one-legged propulsion. I got kinda choked up inside at the finish--there are a lot of emotions going on with relief, frustration, and elation all happening at once.

I wanted to better my previous time, but it was actually worse.

I need to:

--Get a professional bike fitting done. I've got a pretty good bike fit already, but at this point I can definitely benefit from a pro.

--Ride in more than one event a year. You learn more when you push yourself to and past your limits. If you only do that once a year, the learning takes longer.

--Integrate some lower body weight training into my regimen. I've been using a Pilates ball and a foam roller, which work well. I think some work with weights will build up more strength and stave off overuse injuries.

Finally:

--The Warrior's Society did an excellent job of putting on the event. Big-time thanks to all who were involved.

2. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    Were you the guy that I watched bail 10 feet down the side of LHJ after blowing one of the rocky switchbacks about 3/4 the way up LHJ?

3. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
  4. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    Idyllwild spring challenge:bang:

5. ptfmb71

ptfmb71 New Member

just do whatever it takes to not scratch it...when you scratch it it spreads.

6. Bergsteiger

Bergsteiger Mr. Krisztian

Master Business Jet Service Center Coordinator
    Do you know if any of your shots did not come out?
    My shot is not in this sequence or on the John Early site.
    I came in at around 2:45 to 3:00 in the afternoon, and you did take my pic. I was wearing a Rocky Mountain jersey with white helmet. Extremely good looking.:beer:

7. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

i dont think so. i fell trying to get clipped in immediatey after hiking down the rocks from main divide. it was great fun standing there, embarrassed, cramping, watching everyone that i had just out climbed on maple fly past asking if i was ok.

i think i saw the scrapes in the dirt at the switchback you are talking about. must have been quite a sight.

8. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I'm not sure why it didn't load the first time, but it is up now here. Sorry about that. :?:

9. pachaven

pachaven Member

My Ride Report.

This was my 2nd CC. Last year took 7:20 and I had such a good time I thought I’d give it a go this year. So lets fast forward to 2/27 and I find out that I got in to the event. I had been on the waiting list and was contacted by a guy who blew out his ACL. Bummer for him and no training for me. I don’t let it bother me, I’m in!!!
    3:30am comes very fast when you go to bed after midnight on event day. I don’t let it bother me. 5:30 and I’m on my bike mid pack when we start to climb. I’m thinking, man its dark and thank god for my bar light. I’m starting the first downhill into Hidden Valley (I think that’s what it’s called) and hit this hard rut and BAM, my light went out. I don’t let it bother me. I make the right at Beaks in 65 minutes and I’m feeling pretty good. 2 hours and 30 minutes from the start and at the bottom of the Motorway. Grab some water and shed the leg warmers and I’m going again. At this point I feel a little spent but I don’t let it bother me and I just get into a zone. 4:15 and I hit four corners and start back up the main divide. At mile 28 my lack of training hit me with cramps in my left calf, as I stop to dismount and throw my right leg over the seat; my right thigh starts to cramp. So now I’m sitting in the dirt trying to get the cramps to ease up so I can walk a little and let some time go by. After a few hundred yards the road flattens enough for me to saddle up and get into my granny gear. Boy that’s humbling but I'm pedaling, and I refuse to let it get me down. Two more times on the way to Saddleback peak I have to get off and push when the cramps come back.
    SALVATION, I’m at the peak and its all downhill from here. Feeling good again and make the turn onto Upper Holy Jim and I just let go of the brakes. On the second hard switchback I come up to this guy who was walking it and as soon as he lets me pass this guy comes up on us and does the big pass past both of us. The next thing I see is the guy going ass over head into the bushes. His bike is in the trail and I stop to pick up his bike and help him back onto the trail. He has a few cuts and scrapes but good to go. Well the rest of the way down UHJ and LHJ the gods must have been with me. Every time I came upon a slower rider they pulled over and let me pass.
    At the finish I see 6:07 and I’m pumped. I’m so glad to have finished and was able to knock 73 minutes off last year’s time. Next year I want 5:45. I know it’s a dream but WTF it’s something to shoot for.
    You know, I saw the other bikers who were riding with no number plates but I didn’t let it bother me.
    I saw the DH guys pushing up HJ, but I didn’t let it bother me.
    I saw the 4x4 trucks on the main divide, but I didn’t let it get to me.
    I saw a bunch of rocks and sticks that no one cleaned up on the good line I wanted to take, but I didn’t let it bother me.
    I guess what I’m saying I had a good time and appreciate all the hard work EVERYONE put into this event.
    Warriors don’t let it bother you.
    Mark

10. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Haha, I needed a lot more than a pretty girl on my bike on Sat.

In short, I got humbled. Decided to try CC on the a SSpeed this year. CC, Traverse, VQ I always had done on gears and suspension.

I didn't ride enough this winter, cold, rain, I was sick for previous 4 weeks. A tough day didn't start well when I goofed and programmed the crackberry alarm for 4:15am "weekdays only". It never went off. Woke up in a panic at 5:15am and rushed over to Blackstar to the start. Was the last starter probably 20-25min. late. I never really enjoyed that mass start anyways.

Dark dark dark out there illuminated only by a dinky commuter light, I had sensory deprivation that made me feel like I was going nowhere slow. Checked the brakes, checked for flats. Bike is fine which means I'm feeling slow. Grunted out Blackstar in about 1:04 which was more like 1:29 considering I was late. Felt bad for the 2 guys who I saw who already had mechanicals so early in the day.

The main divide was in excellent shape, and sunrise always feels good. Walked the super steeps to try to save my legs a bit. But the 32:21 gearing was too much. I think 32:32 would have been too much. But it was great to chat with some folks along the way. Ran into Doris and snapped a few pics for her. She looked determined. Saw another VQ plate guy walking. Was offering help when I noticed his front wheel was taco'd bad ending his day. Sorry dude next year.

Motorway was great. Had so much fun coming down and not having to climb at all. Had some pretty good flow as my hands and legs felt good the whole way so I wasn't death gripping the bars and bike. Rolled into Aid#1 just long enough to fill the bottles and grab a handful of cuties. Thanks Warriors and Volunteers.

Maple was bad. I had been trying to dial it back and walk more to conserve but it was getting pretty clear that I didn't have the capacity to ride the way I wanted. No cramps, just the legs had zip in them and were fatigued. ITBands were getting tight too. Took a long break and ate my cuties and restarted and still nothing. I was in good shape for the cutoffs but really bummed that I was walking so much and not riding and climbing like I wanted to. Quit there, turned around and DNF'd.

Justspin was nice enough to shuttle me back to blackstar. Thanks to the Kathy and Vicki and the rest of the Warriors who made sure I was physically okay and not needing anything.

My day sucked but I decided I might as well be there for some of my friends. Went to Albertson's, filled my backpack with cold beer and chickenwings and hung out at the finish for awhile. It was truly great to see so many folks who I saw earlier in the day finish and be stoked.

Note: there's some seriously strong cats out there. On my way to the finish I saw more than few VQ finishers holding their feathers and riding back to Blackstar on the road. Nothing like a little 15mile road cool down.

Congrats to all. I think there were some of the best stories of strength and accomplishment and guts this year. I think the post Pow Wow writeups are some of the best yet. Thank you all for sharing.

11. XcShane

XcShane Member

I have done this and set my phone to "silent only" before on separate occasions. I couldn't stop cussing for an hour.

12. Zippo

Zippo Pow Wow!

By the time I got to bed Friday night it was 2am (don't ask, I wasn't happy about that...) I set 2 reminders and the world clock alarm on my cell phone, and a retro LED alarm clock with that horrifying buzzer alarm (think Motel 6), all for 5 minute increments starting at 3:15am (I'm about an hours' drive from Blackstar). I finally woke up at 3:30 with all sorts of stuff buzzing, ringing, vibrating and chiming because my dog was nudging my face with his wet nose. Smart dog! (Really, he probably just wanted the racket to stop and to get back to sleep).

13. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Another view from the volunteer stand-point.

I was stationed at my favorite spot, Blackstar. I love being here, I get to complete the checkpoint duties early on, then support those who need it the most as we sweep the last rider. It usually means that I don't get to cheer everyone on (listening to numbers, writing and cheering is difficult to do when you're all coming around so fast), but I was sending cheer vibes on to each of you.

The real reason that I love the position of vehicular sweep is that I love witnessing the passion and strength that comes from within to lead the slower riders on to their own personal victory. Watching these riders push their limits beyond what they had ever imagined doing, the joy that comes from rising above certain defeat, that is the beauty of this event. I am honored to be able to give what support I can to help you all succeed.

My highlights:

--More than two hours after the start, the final rider arrived at the top of Blackstar. Realizing that he was out of contention, he surrendered his number, but wrangled a friend so that he could push just a bit farther than what he had ever ridden before. I hope he continues pushing, to complete the CC next year.

--Picking up a taco from Motorway. Sometimes those nifty little side trails that appear to be easier than the fire road are a bit more than you may bargain for. This one ended the ride for one guy. Luckily, he and the bike were fine. The rim on the other hand, was another story.

--Watching Elaine arrive at Four Corners, having pushed herself passed her ever-lasting smile to make the last cut-off. Then, watching Elaine ignore the HAM operator's recommendation to give up, pushing on just beyond his binoculars to regain her composure and complete the CC. I told him that he shouldn't mess with her. ;)
    The strength of her spirit is more than inspirational, it is empowering!

--Being at the top of WHT as Debbie arrived, completing her VQ post UQ. WHT is one of my favorite spots; it is the last of the serious pushes. Most riders get to the top with a look that is difficult to describe--elation, exhaustion, and celebration. :beer:

--The flat tire we got on the way out of San Juan. Luckily, my cell phone worked and we were able to contact one of the other drivers who had "fix a flat" and air. Of course, this meant a return time later than 5:30pm.

If I had to make a few suggestions for next year, they would be these:

1) A cut off at Blackstar. Over two hours to Beek's is a bit much. Potentially, at that pace, you'd be supporting one rider in an area where you can't really turn back without an equal amount of climbing, for more than 4 hours, leaving a more exhausted rider to descend down Motorway.

2) If you want to limit the recovery period after the cutoff times, do so officially (ie, support vehicles will only remain at the cut off locations for 15 min after the cut-off, at which time all riders must have continued on course). I thought it was in poor taste to complain about the last riders resting, then attempt to have them concede to defeat, after they made the cut off. I shouldn't have had to try to convince anyone to let these riders continue.

3) Same time difference or not, celebrity or not, all riders should be treated the same. It is always a rider's responsibility to know the course. If you go off course, it should, at the very least, be noted in the results. We'll always have next year to improve.

4) Support your support.

14. chanson

chanson doepicshit.

Web Designer
    Been wanting to add my RR to this, but haven't had the time until now.

About 2 years ago I started mountain biking with jordansrealm here on STR. My first real mountain biking event against the clock was CC last year. I trained and finished it around the 7 hour mark with a goal of doing VQ the following year. I also did the Traverse and finished as well. The time past and I signed up for VQ this year with the goal of finishing the event and adding another elusive feather to my collection!

Once my mind was set on VQ, the training began. I had opted to start my duties in order to become a Warrior as well this year. I allowed those hard trail work days along Los Pinos, Bell, Yeager Mesa and Holy Jim to be my hiking training. Along with a ton of road bike miles and climbs in the mountains, I felt ready for VQ.

The morning of, I woke up fresh and ready to conquer the day. Getting to the start line, I was filled so many emotions and so happy to see so many of my friends also attempting VQ and CC this year. Next thing I know it's time to start pedaling in the dark. I usually know how my day is going to go getting into the first climbs and my legs felt great. I set in a pace line with a few friends up Blackstar and only took my focus off the road to see the trail of hundreds behind me coming up.

I hit the doppler ball at 59 minutes and was ready to tackle the section towards Motorway. The climbs came and pass by quickly. The sun started to rise and after looking down at my Garmin I had less than 1 mile till the Motorway trailhead and I was just at 1:50 into the race.

I started my descent down Motorway. I passed Erik Foltz taking pictures and I was having a blast. Then PAIN occurred. I managed to misjudge a rut ahead of me and flew OTB right in front of my friend Erik who was chasing me down up to that point. Dazed, Erik stopped to help me up and get my bike. I inspected my bike and immediately noticed something wasn't right, I had a rock stuck into the top tube of my SWORKS. Bummed, I pulled the rock out and finished the descent down Motorway at just around the 2:20 mark.

2 friends of mine, Vickie and Kathy, we manning the aid station and immediately noticed I was dazed. I was numb at this point and just wanted my new bottles so I could continue on. I had blood running down my leg and arm, but there wasn't any time for that. I caught back up to Erik and we started to ascend Maple Springs together. Erik asked how I was and at the time I didn't feel any pain, but I did notice a creaking coming from my bike...

The climb up Maple was well...Maple Springs.

Got to 4 Corners and started the climb to the peaks. By this point my knee was throbbing and my wrist was starting to swell up. The gnats :mad: and fellow riders kept my mind of off it for the time being and the next thing I knew I was at the peak and it was just past 10am.

I flew down towards UHJ and got down that with only a few dabs and 1 dismount. Came around the corner to LHJ and saw Keith standing there to cheer me on and tell me to be cautious of the hikers coming up. I love LHJ and was really looking forward to this part of the race. Past a couple people. Slowed down for some hikers to pass and next thing I know I'm at the HJ parking lot around 11am.

I was only minutes behind some friends so I reloaded my bottles and took off. Immediately my body had a different plan. The power was gone. I was starting to heat up and my heart rate was not even pushing 140-150. I was bonking and it was hitting me hard! The spinning up Trabuco towards WHT was horrible. No power and having to dismount to avoid the riders coming down Trabuco to the finish was killing my momentum. I finally got to WHT and realized the hard part was going to start. I brought 2 bottles with me and 1 was already downed, so I had 1 left to get up WHT. Plenty right? Nope! The hike was brutalizing and I had nothing. I stopped to take a break and who do I see coming up the trail? The one and only Gene. I was stoked. We talked for a second and he then informed me that Debbie was behind him hiking up in her socks! For those of you that don't know, Debbie is like a trail mom to me and along with her husband Erik, they are the 2 nicest people I have had the pleasure to meet and call my friends. I started yelling her name and posted up to let her catch up to me. At that point, I went from survival mode and having doubts of finishing, to we are going to finish this. I hiked up with Debbie the rest of the way up WHT and was excited to finally see the main divide.

We reloaded our supplies quickly and headed over to Trabuco and down we went. The rest of the descent back to the finish was a blur. We all rode in together as a group and finished. A majority of everyone was gone, except for all of my friends and Warrior's who I have had come to know so well. It felt like I finished with my entire family.

All in all, I am happy to finally be VQ finisher. It will be a day I will never forget for the rest of my life. At the finish, I vowed I would never do that again. 3 days later and I am ready to sign up for it again! Do it next year hopefully as a fellow Warrior and push through the problems I had. I can't say or give enough praise to the Warrior Society. They do so much for this mountain biking community and I feel fortunate to be tied into that family now and for years and years to come.

[​IMG]

15. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    But more importantly, grasshopper....

How's the bike????

16. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    I don't think you even need to train.:-k

17. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life

Did you also take photo's half wayTrabuco Creek Road from Holy Jim as well as on Motorway? If not any idea who that was?

18. chanson

chanson doepicshit.

Web Designer
    In bad shape. I am going to have to strip the entire bike down tomorrow and ship it out to Calfee and have them repair the hole that is now in the frame. Turn around time is about 5 weeks, so I am out of a mountain bike till then. #-o

Specialized crash recovery isn't really an option at this point since my frame is back ordered till July...

that was him!

19. Sjon

Sjon New Member

Painting Contractor
    :bang::bang::bang:

20. CeeDubb

CeeDubb 9.8m/sec² - It's the law

Replay Timing
    Home Page:
    This was my first VQ. It was a wonderful experience and I'm so glad I did it. This was, by far, the hardest thing I've physically done in my life. Doing it on a SS wasn't one of my brightest decisions and not training had to be one of my stupidest. Next year, the goal is sub-8 hours if I SS it again and sub-7 hours if I go geared!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]