CC/VQ reports :) / Preliminary Results (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by quikflip27, Mar 20, 2010.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

There are a series later(pic #321) on of a girl doing the same thing.....looked kinda painfull.....she was not wearing gloves.

2. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
  3. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    Since I didn't have a VQ spot this year, I decided to provide support for some buddies who were riding. It's amazing to see the race from another perspective.

As a *rider*, you really appreciate the help the WS members and friendly volunteers provide you. But, as a spectator, you get a sense for the VOLUME of support they provide. At about 8am, there were 10-12 riders coming down the bottom of MotorWay per minute. Nary a one was missed. People were grabbing water bottles and camelbacks from 2-3 riders at a time. This event must be a logistical nightmare to organize, and the WS has it down. Nicely done.

I spent the morning @ aid station 1 then hustled over to the finish trying to catch some of the early pros finishing.

Good job to all that pushed themselves. It killed me not to be out there with ya'll!!!

Amazing to watch that tandem navigate the Motorway!
    [​IMG]

Kevin (xhuskr) hitting Aid station #1
    [​IMG]

Bob (Waldo) rolling in to aid station #1
    [​IMG]

It'd be really Pho'd Up of me to reveal who used this stem-mounted motivational tool.
    [​IMG]

Danny Munoz recovering after breaking the CC record AND sliding 35' on the Trabuco Wash to avoid a car!
    [​IMG]

Jeremiah Bishop shortly after breaking the VQ course record. Does he even look tired????
    [​IMG]

I swear, the pros seemed like they could turn right around and do the whole thing again!
    [​IMG]

4. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    XCShane - Congrats on finishing your first CC, and it was great to meet you out there. SO SORRY to hear about your feather! This was number 2 for me, so you can have mine.

KonaDupee - Holy crap I just busted down laughing out loud at that shot of someone's motivational device. I'm gonna have to get something like that (and I'm not just talking about the picture!).

Speaking of pics: Thanks for the shot of me. I didn't even realize you had a camera, and that makes up a little bit for the Simple Jack moment I had for the camera on Motorway. #-o

Those pics of the top finishers just reinforces the difference between them and the rest of us mere mortals. Amazing.

5. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    It was a dark dark day on my bike.....

I gave myself til 10:30 to reach 4 corner to be "on the cusp" of making the final cutoff at WHT... I started the climb up BS and felt OK at best and made it to beeks in 1:15, then made it to the top of motorway in another 1:35. At this point, I was thinking to my self "I actually may make the 10:30 cutoff that I put on myself for 4 corner!". I lowered my saddle and made a bee line for the bottom of motorway, and made a personal best time of :11 gate to gate to the bottom!:bang: Then the Maple climb........ Kicked my azz! My lungs felt good, the temperature didn't bother me, but my legs had other plans. So, 10:30 came and went, and was still more than a mile away from 4 corner...... Since I knew that it was going to be mathematically impossible to make the WHT cutoff, I decided to cut my losses and headed back down maple straight back to my car. Before I made the descent, I sat down on one of the pull out areas on the road, sat down ate a sandwich which I was saving for til I got to 4 corner, soaked in the beautiful view of the valley below for a few minutes and then headed down back to the car. I have to admit that it was one of the darkest moment on my bike. I just felt completely defeated... Then again, I have not trained anywhere near enough to try to tackle such a grand ride.

I will be back for my revenge ride for next year for sure with a lot more training miles in!:bang:

Congratulations to all those who finished!:clap:

6. SScheetz

SScheetz Cracking frames since '88

CAD systems support
    BMX Mulisha

I'll chime in with my RR. First off congrats to all of you, every one of you is a freak and most of your friends and relatives have no clue what you have accomplished. Thank you Warrior's Society members and friends for doing this stuff and protecting our land.

Didn't we have a perfect day? I think it was the best of all the VQ's so far. The additional night riding was mesmerizing looking down from Beek's.

I was the guy (idiot?) out there riding VQ on the BMX bike. I only had 2 goals, finish and have fun. To accomplish the first goal I had to modify the bike with a long seat post to keep my knees from blowing out. The bike was a Redline BMX 24" cruiser, a fairly inexpensive and heavy bike complete with chrome plated bars. It weighed in at 35 lbs with all my hose clamped goodies on it. It felt as wrong as it looked. I now have a renewed appreciation for good bike fitting, stable geometry, and lightweight junk that empties our pockets.

Blasting down those fire roads scared the crap out of me. It wouldn't hold any kind of line so I adapted a style of coaxing it in the general direction of the road and soak up whatever came my way. Oh yeah, it was fun! Seriously, some people pay lots of money for those kinds of thrills. It truly flowed down Holy Jim and made of joke of those switchbacks.

I have to admit, I suffered up West Horse Thief. Thanks to all of you who said anything at all to me. It really kept me going. Especially the guy (forgot your name) who kept calling me "hero". I tried to catch up to you on the hike-a-bike just to get my "hero" fix again. At the top I actually stopped for a "Cheeseburger in Paradise". That was pretty special, I've never done that before.

Other highlights:

Wasting time at Aid Station 2

Ran into a boulder and only pinch flatted. "Iron Bike" lives! :bang:
    Ice cold brew at the finish. :beer:
    Favorite comment, "what's wrong with you?" :?:

[​IMG]

7. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

with out recounting my entire experience, all i can say is that VQ was really hard.

oh yeah, and the people at the aide stations were AWESOME!!

:drunk:

8. gr@sshopper

gr@sshopper Closet Roadie

Missed the cutoff at the bottom of Holy Jim by just a bit. It was tough, cause I definitely had the legs to keep going - I took the beginning climbs slow to pace myself, just set the bar too low.

Had a good time nonetheless. Thanks to the WS, aide station crews. Sorry to the folks that I held up on Holy Jim and Motorway, I was the ginger freaking out going downhill. Tried to gtfo when I could.

Best Moment - chatting with folks on main divide.
    Most disappointing - All the pictures I've seen, I look totally goofy.

9. 5large

5large Senior Member

I saw that Gene was stopping and picking up a lot on the trail. Overall, I think everyone did their part to keep the litter down.

10. Roger Rabbit

Roger Rabbit Member

My third Pow Wow and second VQ. I had my best day yet.
    Last year I finished in 8:23 so I aimed for an sub 8 hour time on this one.
    I have been riding road exclusively for about three months including work on the stationary trainer a couple of nights a week to get into reasonable shape after a soft year on the bike in '09.
    I'm getting there but know I have a ways to go. I enjoyed my first night ride up Blackstar in 56 minutes, was so so on Main Divide and Motorway arriving at the bottom in about 2:20.
    I actually enjoyed Maple Springs as I found a groove and a gear I liked alternating between standing and sitting depending on traction. Made the peak 2 hours later.
    Descending is a perishable skill and I was sorely out of practice but don't think it cost me that much time. Very happy to see aid station 2 as I had run out of water at the top. WHT still sucks. Rode around the barrier at the hamburger stand with 6:45 on the clock and didn't know if I was going to make my goal.
    I had a clean run down, passed Gene literally cooling his heels in the creek at the bottom of WHT. Made the finish in 7:42.
    Happy to make my goal and as always, humbled by how fast so many other riders are.
    Thanks to all who volunteered and ran such a smooth operation.
    Congratulations to all who rode.

11. faulker

faulker New Member

12. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
  13. TDUB

TDUB New Member

Ended up getting a DNF in the CC. Definately very frustrating, but I probably shouldn't have been out there anyways.

I had not ridden in a month due to some serious IT band pain in my knee. My knee felt sore at times so I knew it was best to alternate between riding and walking. Actually ended up walking up a lot of MS not just do to my knee but also because of lack of being in shape. I also had consumed way to much liquid at the first aid station. The fullnes in my stomach kept me from drinking and eating as I should have. I just kept feeling weaker and weaker as it got warmer and warmer. Was notified by WS memeber Eron that I had 43 min until the cutoff at 4 corners. I kept pushing as hard as my body could. I rounded the final corner with the check point in sight only to see Eron in his truck ready to break the bad news to me, it was 11:35.

Honestly I don't think I could have made in the state that I was in even if I had made the cutoff. I was able to make it to the finish line to see a bunch of people finish. Got to see my training peeps Xhuskr and Waldo finish! Great job!

Thanks to all the volunteers out there!

14. jmr-rider

jmr-rider New Member

This was my first VQ and I rode a rigid SS. I have done the CC and Traverse in the past. I bested (yes, this a real word) all my splits. I think the Warrior Society put on a great race and I look forward to doing it again. Starting in the dark was a very cool experience. Thanks to all the volunteers that put in a lot of hard work and effort to make this race happen.

15. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    Does anyone else find this comical?

What does being from VA have to do with the fact that the race starts at 5:30am and sunrise was 6:54am? His time was still astonishingly fast but I'm pretty surprised at the fact that a couple of experienced pros like him and Tinker would show up to this without lights and be completely surprised at how long they'd have to ride in the dark for.

16. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    Next year TDUB! you and freekengo will get your revenge.

My biggest fear while training was that i was going to try my hardest and still not make a cut off. during several training rides I was already picturing that "dark moment" riding back to the car, crying.

I can't wait for next year!

17. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Even more amazing to me than the fact that experienced pros showed up for a 5:30 start without lights is the fact that they were starting down Motorway before a lot of us got to the golf ball! That also means they rode all those loose sections of MD, and then started down that narrow, loose singletrack in the dawn twilight on the shady side of the hills...all with no lights. Incredible.

T-Dub: Thanks for being there at the finish line. Chalk this up as valuable experience, and you'll conquer this thing next year.

363 training days to go ;)

18. Bergsteiger

Bergsteiger Mr. Krisztian

Master Business Jet Service Center Coordinator

It was pretty funny when Tinker asked me in the morning in the parking lot if I had an extra set of lights.
    Maybe the sun rises before sunrise in the east coast, like in Star Wars.:lol:

That being said I still have major respect for anyone doing VQ in freaking 5 hours, or less. Its nuts.

19. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Active spectating!

I signed up for VQ this year but due to all the rain, sick, no training and no training aka Freekengo training regimen I didn’t want ride at all. Then I heard Doris aka Crazygrandma is going to race at tender age of 66 I figure I’ll at least ride with her to cheer her on, I really want to see her finish her first CC(I couldn't of gone much faster anyways).

Got up way too early(for me) and got to the start literally as they were counting down. Can’t find Doris so I figure I’ll work my way up from the back, as soon as I hit the climbs my stomach was in full protest with major heartburn. As soon as I get heartburn I bonk, I was getting light headed and heart rate was around 180bpm! Struggled along and ran into some other riders and chatted a bit. It turns out he is one of STR members and he offered me some Tums! Less than a minute after I took the tums I started to burp a little and within 10 minutes my HR dropped to my normal 165bpm range and I feel MUCH better! Sorry I forgot your name but whomever you are THANK YOU! You saved my day!

Found Doris at about the meadow on Blackstar and rode with her from there on. Also ran into that guy riding a 50lb beach cruiser with huge slick tires and coaster brake…..you are a superman to be riding that.

Overall it was fairly eventless and we were making good time, finally made it to 4 corners with 15 minutes to spare! Doris was thrilled and so was I……for a different reason. I washed my bladder and thought I rinsed it well enough but apparently not because every sip I got a mouthful of soap flavored water and it was nasty! And then my butt was killing me so I decided call it a quite since my main objective has been achieved and I have no desired to climb the bumpy road to peak with soapy water and sore a$$.
    Cruised back to my car and got to the finish and very happy to watch and cheer familiar and new faces at the finish.

I still had a great time even though I decided to quite at 4 corners and not finish CC. Next time I’ll be better prepared for an event like this. Hell I couldn’t even find the damn camera to take pictures for Doris and everyone…..retard!

Last but not the least big thanks to all who contributed to this great event!

20. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

girl, you ROCK!! nuff said:clap::bang: