CC/VQ reports :) / Preliminary Results (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by quikflip27, Mar 20, 2010.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

*VQ 142 Finished... 175 Started...
    *CC 144 Finished... 155 Started...

*Unofficial

:clap:

:beer:

2. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    I found out today that he is actually friends with one of the kids that I coach for lacrosse. The kid I coach also said that he is the #1 downhill racer in the country for his age group.

3. double_d

double_d New Member

I saw you all headed up Trabuco. Was curious how that bad boy handled the switchbacks on UHJ and LHJ.

4. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I sure didn't mean to stir up negative feelings when I asked the question about the Sho-Air crew; I really just wondered what was going on since it seemed like a coordinated effort. I am very, very enthusiastic about the Pow Wow - it is an incredible event. Besides, I lie awake at night for fear of being anything other than "becoming." ;)

So here are a few positive observations that have floated through my pea-brain in the last 24 hours...

There is nothing like the scene at the starting area. early morning, pitch dark, surrounded by hundreds of enthusiastic strangers who for that day become your bothers and sisters in arms...it's just amazing. Everyone should experience that at least once.

The recent grading of Blackstar and part of MD was awesome. I'd just posted a few days ago about how one-lined much of B-star was, but yesterday it was clean and fast. Very cool!

Rounding a corner on Main Divide as the sun peeked over the horizon was a genuinely stirring moment.

To the guy who rode into a pack of 3 or 4 people I was with on Main Divide as we were all in full grind mode and asked why everyone seemed so serious; Thanks - a little levity goes a long way!

I had a blast on Motorway. I'd had the same experience as someone who posted earlier: Before last year's event I'd only ridden MW a few times, and crashed on most. By this year I knew it better, the recent repairs were appreciated, and I had a wonderful run down it.

Thanks also to the Warriors who did the work this winter on UHJ & LHJ. I thought both were in great shape. I rode more of UHJ than I have before, and LHJ is super fun right now, but I'm still laughing at myself for hitting every possible rock, rut, hole, branch, and hillside on the way down!

Many, many, many thanks to those who offered encouragement as they passed, or who pulled over on MW & HJ to allow passing. As usual, the spirit and camaraderie at this event was outstanding.

Thank you to those darn bugs on Maple & MD. Yes, I cursed you a lot and consumed a bunch of you, but that frustration translated into adrenaline. OK, I can think of better ways to stay pumped, but still...

Congratulations to Doris. I'd been hearing about her throughout the day and was happy to meet her at the finish area. At age 66, she finished her first CC. What an inspiration!

Thanks to Kevin, Dan, Beth, Travis, Joyce, Carl, Weyland, Duke 777 (sorry-forgot your name!) Matt, and a bunch of others I'm forgetting or whose names I didn't get. Your encouragement and support during the long months of training, on event day, and at the finish line....well I don't have the words for the gratitude. Thank you.

Finally, thanks to the great communities of people in the warriors and here at STR. After being pretty athletic in my 20's, a couple injuries slowed me dramatically and I became a couch potato throughout my 30's. As I entered my 40's, I discovered mountain biking and these great groups of people. Thanks to all of you, I have challenged myself in ways I thought I couldn't, and I truly feel reborn. I only hope that in some small way I can return a small amount of what you've all given me.

Congratulations and thanks again to all who contributed to this amazing event.

5. dwrads

dwrads Member

WOW way to go Troy. Three huge rides three weeks in a row! There were a few other double Q dippers but your triple Qs is amazing.

Dave W

6. Livepe

Livepe New Member

I stopped counting my bites at 20. All over my arms, shoulder, upper back and face.

My first CC. Got off to a bad start. Lost my light battery less than 3 minutes into the ride. Tried to go back to find it but it was pitch dark. I think I ended up being one of the last riders to start up Blackstar (in complete darkness). It all ended up OK. I finshed the ride and enjoyed the day. Never once felt I couldn't finish. One more thing checked off my 50th year list. Great day!

7. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

Yup, he's an amazing kid for sure. Check out his site. Lots of pics and race results:
    http://troylikesbikes.com/tb_page.php

8. Phishin Paul

Phishin Paul Team Hardcore Cornbread

I had to post because I did the same knuckle head move; Milk in my oatmeal. I paid for it all the way to Beaks. Next year let's stick with something safe like, doughnuts.

9. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    not a race report, but involves a comment r.e. the vq/cc.
    i was up today on upper and lower holy jim, and was surprised on the lack of racer trash i found. only 1 gel pack. warriors probably had a sweeping crew right on it, but if not, good work/thanks to all riders for carrying out all your gels and bar wrappers.

10. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Milk hell

I'm with you guys. I drank a quart of milk the night before with my pizza. My thinking being that milk would hydrate me better than water that might go straight through me. Truly stooopid of me #-o

11. mtnbikej

I think Gene picked it all up. :beer:

:clap:

Just an observation:

2003 CC Top Finish Time: 4:56

2010 VQ Top Finish Time: 4:45

Kinda makes you go :-k #-o

12. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    clearly WS are sanitizing the SA's ;)

13. CyberShaman

CyberShaman New Member

2010 Pow Wow preliminary results

We've got the preliminary results for Vision Quest and Counting Coup on our web site now.

2010 Vision Quest results
    2010 Counting Coup results

These should be pretty accurate at this point but there may be small changes made over the next week.

14. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Anyone know who all the photographers on the course were? I've seen links for Eric Foltz and HighRev. Are there any others?

15. mtnbikej

Talk to the county.......they are the ones that made Blackstar so fast the other day.:?:

16. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I think he was joking about the sanitizing in reference to picking up the trash. You know, like a sanitation department, but a double entendre of sorts, in that it could mean something else. Not as funny when you have to explain it :lol:

Bob and I pulled over for trash, too. Though, I think we picked up more beer cans than gel packs. I'm pretty sure the beer cans weren't from mtb'ers, as mtb'ers have taste and these were Coors Light cans. ;)

Thanks to everyone for picking up your trash.

17. Phishin Paul

Phishin Paul Team Hardcore Cornbread

18. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    Apparently I DNF'd. I assure you, I finished :p Good thing it's "Unofficial"!:-s

19. mtnbikej

I know it was tongue in cheek. :lol:

Andrew,

Sorry about that......your number was entered twice thus showing up as DNF.

The scoring is already in the process of being fixed.

5:54:32 was your time FYI.

Edit: Error was fixed....Finish time added to results....DNF removed.

20. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    That bums me out that Jeff and Katie didn't finish. We were doing the back and fourth a couple times on the main divide. As I was coming down the first part of motorway I saw you guys and thought " I hope they let me pass them". Boy was I wrong, I was hauling and you guys were long gone!

Next year for sure.

And I can't help to think, there's a SS and SS rigid category in the results, why not SS full suspension?