CC/VQ questions that you had but were afraid to ask

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by dubjay, Feb 20, 2008.

1. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    10 days to go till the 2008 Pow Wow.

It'll be my first CC, so I had a few questions (but not really afraid to ask, just wanted a catchy title). I'm guessing some of these will be answered in our race packets, but just in case...

1) Where do we park/meet in the morning?

2) What type of stuff will we find at the first aid station?

3) Do we need to clean our bikes? (per rule #4 http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/trailhead/14004-vq-cc-guided-training-ride-saturday.html)

4) Would you advise using some sort of headlight for the first part of the ride?

I think that's it for now.

2. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Great questions. I can't answer #3, but I guarantee not everyone will have spotless bikes (seriously).

1 - Park anywhere along the road from the tree lot down to wherever it is filled up. If you can carpool with someone, I'd recommend it. Spots fill up FAST. Also, it's somewhat difficult to find a ride back to the start once you are done, so if you carpool with someone it may be easier?

2 - Last year Aid Station #1 had plain water, water you could mix with Cytomax, I believe possibly pre-mixed Cytomax, small Clif Bars, Clif Shots, and fresh fruit (apple and banana slices)

4 - That is a personal preference. I WILL be using a booze cruise/commuter light this year. I did not last year, and was crashed into within the first 50 yards. It made for an extremely painful, long day. May have happened with a light, but couldn't hurt. Justin had the light, and I just couldn't stay with him due to the amounts of people trying to move through such a small space. And no, we were not in the first few people at the start.

See you there!

3. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Don't be afraid to ask any question. There are many cool people that will be glad to try and answer your questions.

4. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Member

I'll second that on the light. I used a small light weight light. Not enough for a real night ride, but enough to avoid the dips and ruts. I saw a couple of riders without lights, hit some of the ruts in the dark. You could get by without a light, but I feel it would make for a smoother start.

5. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    (3) Before any epic your bike should get a thorough check-up. Cleaning should be part of the job. You'll clean the chain anyway(?).

(4) The ride starts 30 minutes later than last year's early start. You can get by without a light.

6. klutter

klutter Member

1. Park on Blackstar (the start of the course).

2. Water, some sort of electrolyte drink, gels, etc. The usual stuff.

3. :?:

4. Last year I did not use a light. Sunrise will probably occur around the time you hit the sharp left turn to start the climb up Blackstar. In the mean time, just follow someone who has a light. Let them lug around the extra weight :)

7. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

question I got is who's gonna be on the bottom on Motorway to bring us back to life? some of us may need alittle friendly familiar cheer!!!:bang:

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm confused by this. I assumed we were starting at 5:30 am, same as last year? There was no early start :?:

You will know at least one person there! :) From what I hear, Rut will be there!

9. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    The public will not be allowed in.

10. elab

elab Turnbull haze

Thanks for asking. I was wondering :-k about #1 & #4.

11. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Sherry will have to update us on the lights.

I know that there was a lot of grumbling over people hugging the lights of others when they don't have their own, causing some crashes, so there was talk about starting the lights without the lightless to avoid these problems.

However, the commuter lights have been useful to most, so you don't have to lug around your regular HID lights.

12. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Any idea when they might let us know about that? Would be nice to know in advance in case couples/friends etc were planning on sharing.

Also, I assume that time differentials will be taken into consideration? I realize that not everyone needs those 5 minutes, but some of us will.

13. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Like I said, we'll have to ask Sherry, I just heard people talking about it--and, if you think about it, it makes sense. Why should the people lugging around the lights be penalized by those without lights by having to try to get around riders cramming into the lit area, getting knocked over, or shoved into ruts?

14. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    oops, year before last.

2007: I didn't use lights. Nautical twilight is at 5:27 AM. If it's not overcast you can get by.

I stay away from lights that ruin your night vision. In fact they should ban HID etc. lights. All they do is cast shadows (black holes) for those with weaker lights. Bright lights are a cause of crashes.

15. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I guess.. the booze cruise lights are hardly enough for one person, so I'm not sure 5-10 would get much use ;)

The fast guys are off the front with or without lights no matter what anyway.

I just hope to h#ll I don't get hit again at the start.

16. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Where can those of us who are not participating show up to cheer and/or party with the participants?

Where is the finish line, food, and post ride fun going to be? I wouldn't mind shuttling people back to their cars with or without their bikes. I can carry 2 bikes on my hitch rack, and up to 4 other people if you want to squeeze (me + 3 more if you wanna be comfortable).

Maps would be helpful for the above questions since I am very visual person.

17. LoisMustDie

LoisMustDie Beer! How did you know?

What time should we get there for the 5:30 start? There are going to be close to 300 riders, right? That is a lot of cars for Blackstar. Is there an overflow parking plan?

18. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Sam, that would be awesome! Last year I watched the bikes and ate while Ann and Justin got a ride back to our vehicle at Cook's Corner and then Justin took Ann back to the start.

The finish line is at the beginning of Trabuco Creek Rd. The food and awards will be at O'Neill park.

Hopefully someone has some maps, cause all I could provide is a link to Geoladders.

Carpool!! We will be hopefully in a full vehicle. Carpool or have someone drop you off. I wish we lived closer so that was an option, but we've got over an hour drive just to get over there.

Our other problem is what will be opened and closed. There is no way we can go across 74 (it doesn't open til 4:30, not enough time) and 91 has been closed off an on on weekends.

I'd say get there around 5 or so if you aren't going to do a bunch of warmup. It's just cold and dark.

19. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

weyland, don't forget to breathe and take it easy... i would also suggest against being there super early all suited up and ready to go 2 hours before it starts... its not temecula ;)

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Agree.....with 350 people in a mass start.....bumping into other riders will occur.