cargo rack Q

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Kid A, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    looking into getting a roof cargo rack to load snowboards, boots and other related gear. we usually put inside our SUV but taking pup on this trip and just don't think everything will fit.

any thoughts on yakima or Thule (or other) and which models , sizes and why.

will probably keep on roof for entire board season so may have to of low profile as park in a garage for work

thx

2. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

If you go to REI, pre-load one with some boards and boots...I looked at a narrower model so that I could put it on the roof and still fit two bikes on next to it. Makes it Multi-use. If you're not sure, get the longest, narrowest one to allow for that possibility. A snow road trip is great, but being able to use it for MTB with 2 on the roof and 2 on the hitch rack is even better...especially if you use it to stash the dirty riding gear after a ride instead of inside the SUV.

Yakima Skybox/Skybox Pro 12 is 92" long but only 24" wide. Rocketbox Pro 11 is slightly shorter but still only 24" wide.
    Thule Alpine subset of their Force/Sonic/Pulse lineup is narrow as well.

3. Innes

Innes Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    I went with wider bars than recommended. I fit a big fat box and two bikes on top of my Wrangler. Now it all transfers between the Subaru Outback and the Toyota Highlander. Yakima and Thule stuff is very comparable. Very little difference between the two. Check them both out, it really comes down to personal preference. They both have a lifetime warranty on their stuff. I've had to warranty stuff from both brands. Thule has always been no questions asked and Yakima had me jump through some hoops. Personally, having extended experience with both brands, I'd go with Thule.