Careful out there...R.I.P

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by solislbc, Jun 21, 2013.

1. solislbc

solislbc Member

Senior Finance Analyst
  2. xdaflipguyx

xdaflipguyx New Member

Student
    Home Page:
    RIP to that cyclist but to be honest tho, FedEx drivers drives fast they even stop in the middle of the road... They think they're the king of the road... Basing this comment with my personal experience...

3. strobe

strobe resident noob

The article states there is nothing to indicate criminal wrongdoing. Lets not hang the FedEx driver yet. Cyclist was likely an inexperienced rider considering she wasn't wearing a helmet. Most of the neighborhood riders (beach cruisers, fixies, magna riders) seem to blow through intersections and completely neglect all the rules of the road. I'm sorry for the loss of life and her family/friends, but, we can't automatically blame the driver. Its likely the FedEx driver is dealing with a lot of guilt regardless if the event was avoidable or not.

Just pointing out the other side of the coin.

4. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

Fed ex had a stop sign. Hung a left turn in front of cyclist that had right of way with no stop sign on a slightly curving street in a neighborhood. Sure hope the packages were not late...

5. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Very sad for all concerned.
    I'm reading this as what looks like the rescue helo is circling near Alton/Portola - the Borrego entrance to Whiting - and keeping my fingers crossed that it's not there for a member of our tribe.

6. strobe

strobe resident noob

Well, the driver did not make a left turn, he was "preparing" to make a left turn. Keep in mind, according to that report, the cyclist collided with the truck. The truck did not run into the cyclist. I'm sure the packages were late since the driver likely stayed at the scene or that would've been noted in the report.

I know we are a pro cyclist community, but, we should also know its our responsibility to be aware of all obstacles on the roadway. A FedEx truck is a difficult obstacle to miss. Wear a helmet ppl. Anything can happen out there.

7. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    moi.jpg

Notice FedEx truck in middle of intersection. That is a weird place to prepare to make a turn. Although, xdaflipguyx did say that FedEx drivers like to stop in the middle of the road, so I guess it is possible.

Article also says, "... after being hit by a FedEx delivery truck...." Did I read that correct? Did the article say the truck hit the cyclist?

Basically, I am here just to say that you are not reading an encyclopedia. I am sorry that someone's life has been lost due to an unfortunate accident. I hope that her family learns how to cope with the pain of losing a loved one.

8. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

The report? Not quite, It's a blip from our liberal media, hardly a fact finding...and the packages being late was sarcasm. Please lighten up a tad, thanks....

9. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

We are reminded on a daily basis by management about cyclists on the road. We even have a white ghost bike staged where we leave our building. Not siding with anyone but it is a tough job avoiding everything and everyone that crosses our paths on a daily basis. Fortunately for me I have gone 23 years without hitting anything. It is always unfortunate when a cyclist loses their life.

10. Trey

Trey New Member

RIP

Little reminder to always wear our helmets.

11. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    Sad news indeed RIP. I'm sure there are more autos colliding with bikers than vice versa. It's up to everyone behind the wheel to be aware of your surroundings especially those delivery drivers out to get that time bonus. Accidents like this can be prevented with awareness that your not the only person on the road.

12. stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Member

I thought fed Ex drivers only made right turns?>>this guy a rookie?

13. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Fuuuuuuu***** not again. Road riding is the most dangerous recreational activity in Orange County - bar none.

RIP and my condolences to family and friends of victim AND driver.

14. Bruce in SoCal

Bruce in SoCal Member

Lawyer (semi-retired)
    I am not commenting on this accident, except to express my condolences.

However, I personally saw a cyclist in my neighborhood hit by a truck. It was a four-way stop. The truck stopped avd then proceeded into the intersection because I had to yield to him. The bike blew through his stop and then tried to make it in front of the truck. I watched the cyclist alter his course to his left to try to get past the truck - and fail. Stopping before the truck would have been a no brainier. The cyclist was going slow enough approaching the stop that even I figured he'd stop where he should have. Sometimes cyclists are in the wrong.

15. ocfred

ocfred Turd Sandwich.

I often see other i experienced cyclists without lights, helmets, or proper road k knowledge. Its sad because ive seen other people go against traffic on a bike. Its stupid and idiotic.

16. riiz

riiz Member

I guess not, even UPS stopped this practice and now at my hub we use this GPS based program called, "Orion".