Can any 29er Beat the Tallboy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waldo, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Actually for fleet management purposes, maybe a 650b?

So the Ripley is out. What you decide Waldo?

2. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    This is a great thread, as I am stating to do research for a new FS 29. The Pivot 429C, SC TallboyC, and Yeti SB95 are in my immediate sights. Doing a parking lot ride doesn't help me much, reading others comments is most helpful. I am also interested in a XX1 drivetrain.....anybody out there who can comment on the 11 speed?

3. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

The cassette is over $400...

4. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    If you've narrowed it to 3 different bikes like these, then reader comments might be as helpful as a parking lot test-ride. You need to ride them to find the bike that's perfect for you. If all a shop can offer is a PL test-ride, do it as many times as you can - over and over. For example, just because I wasn't crazy about DW-link bikes, doesn't mean they aren't great bikes for lots of other people, and you'd never know unless you've spent some time on one and could compare it to other bikes.

5. Greengiant

Greengiant Steady diet of dirt

I issue building permits in Palo Alto!
    Demo'd the Tallboy LT today at one of the local parks here in San Jose. There's a lovely rocky singletrack at Santa Teresa park called Stiles....great climb up with some switchbacks with some chunk and then a rock-strewn switchbacky down to really test the suspension and feel of a bike. I'm definitely not a strong climber in the steeps, so the 2x10 was a little tough for me to climb when the trail got really steep, but when the grade was more moderate, the Tallboy climbed nicely. The descent was predictable, the bike handled the chunk well and I felt confident through it. I had just ridden the same loop on my Sultan so I could compare the bikes head to head. I've also demo'd the Turner Czar, but not through a fairly technical trail, but I think I'm still a Turner fan. Still need to try out the Ripley before I make a decision on spending $6K on a bike. Something has to really knock my socks off (or the Sultan has to break) before I trade her in for the next new bike in the stable. The Tallboy is a great bike, but not one I'll trade my Sultan in on.

6. DMAG310

DMAG310 New Member

So far im loving my Enduro 29, i have ridden my friends tb ltc but i prefer my enduro the geo suites me more, and the extra travel doesn't hurt :p going to get some laps at snow summit tomorrow

7. achen

achen Member

When I demoed bikes I demoed the sultan and tallboy. The sultan was by far my favorite bike but it was about 2K more than a comparable carbon tallboy ltc so I got the ltc instead.

8. kaboomims

kaboomims New Member

I spent a good bit of time on a sultan on the flume trail and could literally not find a single vice. Other than it was out of my price range. Great machine.

9. achen

achen Member

make sure you look at the turner czar too. I found it handled really well.

10. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

Have about 5 months on mine now. Hands down the best group I have ever ridden. I was an XTR guy through and through having run every iteration since it was introduced, so that should give you some idea where I am coming from. Several of my riding buddies are on it now as well and I have not heard one negative thing about it. As for the cassette cost, the thing is a work of art and takes 3.5 hours on a five axis CNC machine to create. Just make sure you replace your chain regularly and it will last for years.

As for the bikes, the SB95 is an outlier in that group. It should really be compared to the SC TB LTc/Intense Spider Comp. I would throw the Ripley in with the 429C and SC TBc.

11. achen

achen Member

The drivetrain is fine, even really nice. But is it worth 1K? I personally dont think so. The range is fine, but what benefit do you really get from it?

12. wheezy

wheezy DH Gorilla

Motion Graphics Artist /3D Artist / Photographer /
    Home Page:
    Figured I'd revive an ancient thread.

Been riding a 2015 Tallboy CC / XO1 build. My comment after the first few rides to my room mate was this, plain and simple "it's the best bike I've ever ridden" - that says a lot as I've worked on and off in the bike industry for over 20 years now. *dang, I'm getting old.

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure what else people expect in a bike. It climbs well, really well - they don't call me wheezy for nothin, and I've cleaned some climbs that I've never done before. It's my first 29er since a RIP9 I had back in like 2008, but the handling characteristics are light years ahead of that thing. I'm sure the fork makes a massive difference as the only fork back then was the ManiPoo. What surprised me though, was how hard she likes to be ridden. The thing goes downhill, fast and stable and CORNERS.

It is what it is at the end of the day. I ride with guys that will school me on a fully rigid GT from 1989 and XT thumb shifters! (that actually happened once). Anyhow, I can't say enough good things about the bike. I've been on a demo from the path for the past two weeks and decided to buy one. Bike is on order as of now.

Also, in regards to the drive train, I realize back in 2013 it was kinda new... I'll never have a bike that ISN'T 1x11 (until they go 1x12). The weight savings and reliability and simplicity are simply amazing.

OK, so that's my dead thread revival for the year.

Hope you dudes are well and that life is rad.