Can any 29er Beat the Tallboy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waldo, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Yep, bought one without even riding it .

I am running a 130mm fork though.

2. badgas

badgas I like dirt

3. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    heres proof that 29er are shred-able. I can no longer blame my bike for not being able to get air

[video=youtube;ohCMW2zHOo0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohCMW2zHOo0[/video]

4. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Agreed - the Jet is a really beautiful bike. I've played on a couple in parking lots and liked the feel a lot and was impressed by the CVA suspension when doing little out-of-the-saddle sprints. I'd love to trail test one. The specs are close to the Tallboy, yet it seems like a lot of people (including me) think of it as a racier bike - more in the category of the Specialized Epic. Has anybody trail-tested the Jet and TB side by side? How about the Jet with a 120mm fork as an all around trail bike?

Differences in gearing? Tires? Suspension design?
    Or maybe it's just attitude. I think most of us ride better when we're excited about a new rig and/or have to rationalize our purchase! ;)

5. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Just riding my locals i have noticed the differences / evolution in the 29er handling. I am not a big air guy more of a take the air and transitions as the trail provides and I certainly could get air on the new TBc and easily on Pivot 429... not as much on the Giant Trance X..... seems like you can get some these days.. when I tried some 29ers a couple years back...it was like trying to deadlift.... this was an issue for me cause I want a some flick, flair and air....much better now

Somebody with much more skill than I catching air

[​IMG]

6. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    TB and all the other bikes are all great the better questions is..........where can I buy a better motor?:lol:

7. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

http://1buyhghonline.com/en/

8. push

push Premium Member

There is one bike that can beat the Tallboy... The Tallboy LT, of course!

9. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    I still have to train if I take those.......I'm looking to instant bolt on power, kinda like a turbo.

10. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Do looks play a large role in bike choice for many people? Cause while I looked up close at the Pivot 429c and liked the carbon construction and the cable routing, just something about its looks seems to put me off.

I'd say something about the noise some bikes make when you pick it up and let it bounce a bit, but some people seem to be proud of their noise makers, as it warns other trail users, or something. The black Pivot 429c in the Path seems to have some cable housing smacking the inside of the carbon front triangle or something. Probably can tune that out, but noise like that annoys the heck out of me. I know it annoys me so much that I'd be asking the guy climbing up the trail, creaking with each pedal stroke, what that sound was, unless it was obviously coming from his saddle. Actually asked someone with a Tallboy (Easy Riders member?) that Q a month or two ago, when it was still creaking when he was out of the saddle. :lol:

11. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    We should never, ever ride together. Between my saddle, my rear triangle, my suspension, and my knees, my bike and I make enough noise to scare away a herd of hungry zombies.

12. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

And how is it!?

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

due to work and injury I have hardly ridden it. So far so good. As I said earlier, my fav bike was the stumpy 29evo and was trying to find something to replace it. After looking at a number of options(mostly numbers or just checking stand over) it had everything I liked about the EVO and some of the things I didn't really like were different.

14. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    YES! The Pivots do not wow me either. I find the Kona Satori even more off-putting. The Satori's reviews are all great but it looks like Kona's cheaper, bastard line when compared to their other models. In this day of carbon and CNC'd bits throughout, the Satori's lackluster shock link looks like something from a Wal*Mart or Costco bike. Buy a Satori now or save and buy a Transition Bandit 29 later? I choose to save. A choice which has some part to do with looks.

15. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

I demo'd one a tallboy LTc last month in Colorado and I found it to be less stiff than my Tracer29. It was still a great bike though.

16. pdqmach26

pdqmach26 New Member

Hey,
    Maybe another thread, but can u do a comparison of the Intense and your old Stumpy. Reason, I have a Stumpy 29evo and was looking for something new or better.
    Thanks

17. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
  18. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Agree...I never liked Pivot aesthetics. I've heard similar comments from several. I bought the 429c solely based on the performance of my 429a. I really don't care what it looks like as long as it rides like it does.

19. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Agreed, I don't think the Pivot is bad looking but it is not as "sexy" as say the RDO 9, Actually though the look is growing on me, it seems pretty clean...but a bit boxy, BUT I as well bought on performance...amazing performance. I owned a very aesthetically pleasing Ells (to me...that the problem the look like everything else is subjective), it was cool to have both, but when I am riding I am not actually looking at the bike.

Also there was some questions about noise... I found the Demo bike very quiet and did the bounce test with my new bike very quiet...in the small chain ring some minor clinks on the FD, in the big...pretty much silent except for the tire bounce... maybe the Carbon is quieter than the Al.

20. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman