Can any 29er Beat the Tallboy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waldo, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I see Pinkbike voted the Tallboy LT as their favorite trail bike of 2012. Granted, the LT version is a significant update, but the basic Tallboy has been around for a few years in a rapidly growing bike category. With competing models introduced by pretty much every manufacturer, it's pretty amazing that the Tallboy still seems to dominate as the gold standard among 29er trail bikes.

The one I see on the horizon that might break the Tallboy dominance is the Ibis Ripley, but I don't expect it to be made in numbers sufficient to go head-to-head with Santa Cruz in sales volume. More importantly, it's been stuck in prototype mode for a year and a half, so while it looks great on paper, until they actually start selling them it can't be a contender.

Obviously this question involves personal preferences, but has anyone matched or beat the Tallboy yet in your opinion?
    For those who have ridden multiple f/s 29ers, has another one felt better to you? If you liked something else better, why? Did you buy it, or a Tallboy, and why?

2. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Yeah, my 2012 Transition Bandit... Room on the frame for 2 bottles, 24 oz - short wheelbase, slack and just plain FUN...

3. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I ride a 2010 Stumpjumper FSR 29er Expert and got a Tallboy carbon as a loaner once and was surprised to find that I didn't like it but I haven't ridden a Tallboy LTC. Perhaps the difference of 100mm to 130mm travel was what made the Tallboy seem harsh to me. That's my humble opinion. People who have ridden more than me and know more about bikes than I do told me that I'm wrong, and I might be, but I can only go with what my experience was. Could've been the suspension settings, the tires, etc., etc. I am sure the Tallboy is a great bike, but it's all about personal preference and the longer travel Stumpjumper feels better to me. I rode an Ellsworth Evolve years ago and remembered really liking that, but hadn't ridden much at the time and didn't want to like it because of the price...

If I were buying a bike today, I would definitely give the Tallboy LTC a ride along with some of the Niners, Banshee Prime looks interesting, the Yeti SB95 and the new Stumpjumper--a friend just bought a 2012 Sworks Stumpjumper 29er on closeout and it's a beautiful bike and the large is like 25 or 26 pounds. I think my XL weighs like 33...

I'd also check out some of the 27.5's out there. It would have to be noticeably better than either a 26 or 29 though--as I worry I'd get caught in no man's land as I would think there's not enough room for a 3rd tire size permanently, but I could be wrong...

4. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Depends...

[​IMG]

I demo'ed a Tallboy TLc on Laguna Ridge and found it a bit gangly. I'm sure sizing and set-up came into play (seems like I'm between Santa Cruz M and L). It seemed like slightly too much (?) for what/how I ride. The 429c is the upgrade to my aluminum one which I loved and rode the hell out of. It fits me, and it hauls unbelievable ass. Even compared to my aluminum 429. Bumping to a 120mm fork and carbonium hoops was probably a far bigger upgrade than the frame itself, and I would def call it a trail bike now. I'm convinced no SC bike is gonna do for me what this one does.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Why does it look like you drove it into the garage while on the roof rack?

6. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    I love my Trance X 29'er. I like the specs and burlyness on the SC TallBoy LT. What I can't stand is VPP

I prefer better pedaling suspension designs like Maestro, DW or ABP

7. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

Short answer: Yes
    Long answer: See short answer

8. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Chinarello!

9. bikerider

bikerider New Member

So far, I haven't ridden anything that's a better all around bike. Climbs well, descends even better (120 mm up front). Reasonably light for a 29 er FS. I recently bought a voodoo Ti 29 er. I didn't realize how much I was giving up in pedaling efficiency until I started riding hard tail again. Having said that, I'm setting all new PR's going up as well as down on the Tallboy and I'm not in the best of shape now. The only other 29er FS's I've ridden are a Superfly and Speshy Epic. The superfly was good, just didn't seem as active of suspension. The Epic climbs great, did not descend as well, not as stable in the air, crappy avids... I'm sure I would be happy with either once properly set up to my tastes though.

So the good news for my wallet is, I'm not shopping for a new bike anytime soon!

10. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

pinkbike didn't vote for the Tallboy LTc, it was RC's pick. There's a difference, but they did hire him to handle XC type stuff, since he does have a lot of connections and history in the bike biz and bills himself as having expertise in that field, and no doubt has a lot of experience riding on a variety of different trails and some decent knowledge.

How many of their other picks do you find worthy? How many of RC's articles/comments do you like? He likes to stir up controversy, and has been known to spread false myths (ex. brake jack myth). His articles were a significant contributing factor for Mountain Bike Action mag's poor rep. I'd say something about advertisers pulling his strings, but those are rumors that I don't know the background about, but he seems to be passive enough that would allow them to do so, so I'm inclined to believe it (he was the lead guy there for some time, before stepping down).

I wonder where the other reputable publication's '12 picks are. VitalMTB's Shreddy Bike of the Year award went to the Trek Session 9.9. Bicycling/Mountain Bike did one earlier and gave the nod to the S-Works Epic (over the Tallboy) for XC and Yeti SB95 (over the Tallboy LT) for "long travel 29er", but they did their shootout in Sedona, while RC is SoCal based. BikeRadar didn't do one for 29ers and gave the award to the Norco Sight 2 for trail bike of the year (around 2500 GBP), but some of their editors are rather biased--I particularly like James Huang's stuff, but Guy Kesteven's articles need to be read with a little skepticism.

My point is, check the creds behind who makes the picks and value the editors that are more on your wavelength. RC being in SoCal can provide better insight for riders who ride in SoCal too, over an editor who is based in Canada or the UK. A plus, for RC, if you're also an old guy who has little interest in competing and are more interesed in XC than DH. It's also not wise to assume things about the Tallboy carbon or other models from Santa Cruz, since their Tallboy LTc got an award (or since you saw a Nomadc's thick downtube swung and bounced off a concrete block). Since RC made the pick, and pinkbike is friendly with Santa Cruz, I can't see much value in that award.

11. Gasper

Gasper New Member

There's a lot of great bikes out there but I'm down for a new Pivot 429C and as many have said before, taking advantage of the Paths demo fleet really helps in the selection process.

12. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I would say yes. I really liked my tallboy yet it was slacked out 1.5 degrees and then had a 120mm fork so obviously I wasn't a huge fan of the geo. I loved the Stumpjumper EVO 29er and was so difficult to replace. I think I finally found the best parts of all the ones I have ridden now in the Spider 29er Comp.

I considered the SB95, Bandit 29er, Tallboy LTC(once again would have required some mods), Trance 29er, Banshee prime. I didn't ride all of them, some were out based on numbers or fit. The one bike I wuld have looked at closer would have been the Rocky Mtn instinct.

13. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    what I can say about the tallboy lt is that it isnt a bike you pedal around the parking lot and love. First time i rode it and just pedaled around I hated it. The second you get on a trail its freaking rips. Ive ridden alot of full sus 29ers ( longer travels ones) and what I have noticed is that when you get into the 125-140mm travel range, head andgles become 68 degrees and what I like about the TBLT is that its at 69.5. It still loves to climb. On the satori I felt like In a downhill position climbing and same with others. Yeah the tallboy lt isnt the most fun in the air and lieks to stay on the ground but thats my type of riding style. Bikes like yeti and turners 29er lt are funner and more comparable to 26 but to me the tallboy got the trail 29er/all mountain concept down. Yeti still rips though, just to fat for them

14. carabaoray@cox.net

[email protected] New Member

Teacher
  15. badgas

badgas I like dirt

It's funny you mention this, I did a demo on both the Trance X 29er and the Tallboy LT ( I purchased neither BTW ) the one thing a hated about the Trance X was how it peddled. For "ME" no wrong answer here I felt the that Tall boy LT climbed much better and and they felt equal going downhill. Both demo's were an identical route at Santiago Oaks...Start from IRP , ride over to oaks , up Oaks/3bs to the flag , down Barham ridge then down chutes. I also did a demo on a regular Tallboy both AL and carbon aliso ( up cholla down rockit ) . I owned a Socialized Camber and did not like it so I sold it. I currently ride a HT 29er and rigid SS 29er if I ever get a full squish bike it will be a tallboy LT because I like the way it pedals and climbs. Just a note that it has plenty of travel for me because I am wuss on the downhill and won't put any bike to true test in that category.

16. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    The problem here is 2-fold...

Everyone has different tastes, perceptions, and ideas about what's important, and so an individual bike may not match an individual rider.

Also, people will vote/argue based on an existing purchase (what they currently ride). Not only because they bought it due to their tastes/perceptions/ideas, but also there will be some motivation (conscious or not) to defend or justify that purchase. Of course my ___________ is the best...no one wants to find out that his/her money could have been better-spent!

Now with that said, my TBLTc is the best bike on the planet

...for me!

17. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    Preach it redwoods:bang:

18. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

I nominate the Diamondback Mason FS 29er for Honey Badger 29er. That thing was like a DH bike. Super stable, eats up bumps almost completely, a natural in the air... could be on both brakes going through some rough stuff and you'd still be in perfect control with its super stiff front end. Was a trampoline when pedaling out of the saddle though.

mfoga, you bought yourself an Intense Spider 29 Comp? :bang:

19. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I don't think the Mason 29er FS ever came to life.

Yep without even riding one.

20. carabaoray@cox.net

[email protected] New Member

Teacher
    I have to disagree. The Honzo beats the Mason in the following areas when equipped with a fox 34 set at 140mm:

1. It's steel.
    2. Shorter chainstays (16.3 vs. 17)
    3. Sliding dropouts
    4. It's steel.