Cambria Bike

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Do Work, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Do Work

Do Work Eddie would go...

Account Executive
    Soooooo...i just wanted to do a little venting on my recent (this morning) frustration with Cambria Bike-online retailer.

I dont know what anyone elses experience has been but heres my story and its a long one...

I went on the Cambria site about a month or 2 ago to buy some knee/shin guards and found that they had a few different Fox ones. They had 4 similar descriptions for all of these guards but 4 different prices (from $24.99-$69.99, older model to newest model) but they all had the same picture posted next to them which showed the newest Fox shin guard with straps so you could just strap them on instead of pullng them on over your shoe.

After reading the descriptions i went through i opted to but the older/cheapest ones because i was fine with having an older model since it would be the same basic design.

When they finally arrived in the mail they were completely different from the picture and were a model that had a full neoprene sleve from your ankle all the way to your thigh and the only way to put these on would basically be to put them on before you even leave the house-totally different than the picture.

I was bitter but whatever, i called and they were cool about me sending them back and they would review my complaint and if their picture was way off they would then refund me the purchase price along with the shipping both ways-that worked for me.

I sent them back about 3 weeks ago and i finally decided to call after not hearing from them (they said they would call after reviewing and they didnt-shocker) and the guy answering told me they recieved them but the guy to speak to was gone for the day and to call back tomorrow. I called back this morning and at first the guy answering tries to tell me that my return has not been recieved-i tell him that i just spoke to a guy yesterday who said it had been recieved and was being processed. He finally, after having me on hold for awhile, was able to find my claim. He then starts to tell me that the picture on the web site is exactly what i recieved so hes not sure what the problem was. i am confused cause i know it was totally different so i ask him if they have changed the pictures and he tells me they havent changed them at all and i got what i ordered.
    i got annoyed cause i know what i saw so i logged onto the internet while on the phone to see and guess what...they have updated all the pictures since my order and they now have the correct pictures and are trying to tell me that the picture has been the same and hasent been changed-all of this just to avoid refunding me shipping costs...$16.00.
    At this point its the principle of the thing and i start to argue and tell him that i would not have ordered them if that picture were there when i ordered and that they have changed the pictures since i ordered and that its their fault.
    Again im put on hold and finally he comes back on and tells me they will refund me the costs, when i asked him to confirm the pictures were changed since my order he rudely avoids the question and just tells me they will refund my money.
    Keep in mind, this is just for shipping, i tell him that it costs me $10.00 to ship back-they will only refund me $12.00 for shipping it because it only cost them $6.00 to ship it out!!!:-s

Needless to say this is just me venting and its not the biggest deal in the world but its very frustrating to have them nickel and dime a customer and make me have to argue and complain to fix a mistake that was their fault...a big company like that willing to lose a customer over shipping charges-talk about bad business.#-o

i will obviously never use them again and my guess is that my refund will probably take as long as possible to get back...sucks!!!

Being able to vent here really helps though so thanks all and sorry for wasting your time with my rant but it made me feel better.:)

2. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    Sorry for the run around. Good internet service is sometimes hard to find.

I try my best not to buy jerseys, shorts or anything you have to try on from mail-order companies.

3. CalEpic

CalEpic member

In the future if you get the run-around just put a dispute in with your credit card company. That will get the offending retailler's attention pretty quick when the money's taken back out of their account.

For mail order I only use Jenson or Price Point. Great customer service and price matching if it's found somewhere cheaper. Ridiculously fast shipping too. (+ Jenson supports STR if you click on the ad from this site)

C

4. Do Work

Account Executive
    I ended up going to an actual store and trying on a few but then ordered them from the Ride-This web site that was recomended by a friend that ended up saving me quite a bit but even that took awhile because they were out of stock and had to wait to get the new shipment in-they were totally cool about it though and they didnt charge me any shipping at all so i would defnintely recomend them but only if youre LBS doesnt have what youre looking for because youre right, sometimes its not worth the aggrivation to save a few bucks and you get to meet cool people at these shops and thats worth the extra few bucks :)

5. Do Work

Account Executive
    I have ordered from Jensen before and i like that if i ever have a problem i can just go the store since they arent too far away, they support STR :bang:, and you can even get free shipping sometimes but i think i will stick to trying to buy things in person and if i have to buy online make sure i do my research first and get exactly what i want not go for the cheapest!:clap:

6. bobzrag

bobzrag bonedaddy

has anyone used the wayback time machine before? not sure if this would help here (although it isn't working now): [SIZE=-1]www.archive.org/

[/SIZE]

7. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    On the other side of the board ...

I have been very happy ordering from CB, I have been doing business with them since they had a single shop in Cambria and first started selling on line.

I have always received good customer support when there was a problem and was always handled in a timely fashion. Also, there have been a few times that I would forget something at home on our way to the SeaOtter, I would call the shop on our way up and they would have the part(s) I needed the next day in the shop.

Granted, I do look at ALL, well most, of the locals before going on line but and Cambria is one of the on-line shops (there are a few others) that I have yet to have a problem with.

Reason for posting, I ordered some tires yesterday at 3pm, was told they would ship today regular ground. I checked the tracking info and they are on the truck out for delivery and will be here today. It has always been like that when I deal with them.

8. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    This has been done before...but here goes again. Jensonusa, pricepoint,blueskycycling,Universalcycles, and if you don't care about price matching but want good prices with no tax, greenfish. UC is in Oregon, GF in New York, and the rest here in Cali. I haven't heard too many good things about Cambria, but can't really say cause I've never bought from them.

9. NipomoGuy

NipomoGuy Tink's first sponsor

flying my mental jet
    In store they've always been helpfull... but on the phone they are the ditziest people on the planet! I once talked to a kid in there that tried to tell me there was no such thing as "servo wave"

i told him to go over to the Surley 1x1 hanging on the wall and look at the shimano XT brakes. #-o

other than that, no problems

10. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    I have had many good, and a bad/fixed transaction(s) with Cambria.

But I also do a screen shot for my online orders.

Saved my bacon a few times and got immediate resolution from the companies I was having issues with.

Consider it a lesson learned, and an inexpensive one at that.

11. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Cambria has had problems for years. Be aware before you buy from internet sales. Just do a search and you'll see who not to deal with.

12. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    I've never had any problems with Cambria but I will be cautious next time just in case. :wave:

13. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Twice Cambria has sold me stuff they didn't have and waited days to tell me. Both sale items and both times they tried to upsale me on a substantially more expensive product. Weak.

14. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

I've had good luck with Cambria, and won't hesitate to order from them again. The same goes for Speedgoat and Jenson USA.

Last week I ordered a stem from Cambria, which they had in stock. Better yet, they beat another online price on the same item and saved me some extra ca$h. I paid for standard ground shipping, and it ended up arriving the next day. Thumbs-up from this corner.

15. ladydeacon

ladydeacon Newbie Dirt Eater

Two weeks ago I ordered two items off of airbomb.com which says it is powered by cambriabike.com because their prices were excellent. It says it will take 3-5 business days for processing before shipping so no problem I don't need the items immediately. Flash forward 2 weeks and their online tracking shows that my order has not even been processed. Wtf? So I used their live support today to see what is going on and they guy checks on the first item and tells me I'm sorry it appears that item is discontinued. I think well that sucks and ask what about the second item can you send me that? He checks their stock and says it looks like we don't have that in stock but we can special order it. Ha awesome business you are running. I canceled my order, will never use either website again, and spent my money on pricepoint where I should have started with to begin with even though it was a few dollars more.

16. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    Funny thing about Beyond Bikes; they pretty much went belly up for the same BS service you mention, LD. Guess who it is that took over? CAMBRIA. Hmmm...my psychic powers tell me that if they continue this trend, the same fate will await them. How freakin' difficult is it to provide good customer service? Jensonusa and pricepoint should give seminars on the concept.

17. 0 mph

0 mph More waves than time~

Account Manager
    Home Page:
    Cambria Bicycle Outfitters

Hello Riders,
    Just order some parts today from Cambria Bicycle Outfitters.
    The Livechat salerep Kevin C. was really helpful and paitient with me.
    He spent 3 hrs anwsering and helping me making decision selecting the correct parts and tools i needed. I had a second thought and bad experiances about Livechat help. But i was suprised and very happy got the help. Expecting my parts arriving soon...\\:D/

18. 0 mph

0 mph More waves than time~

Account Manager
    Home Page:
    WOW !!! Guys...I've gotten all my parts in today. Yayeah !

19. freeriderock

freeriderock New Member

is it the factt that it's a rear shock

Pricepoint has been my God. They are located in LA, so once my order is processed, it's delivered the next day.

Cambria took a rear shock order from me in Early February. I supplied all necessary specs, frame info, etc. I get a call 2 weeks later asking me my frame spec, shock strock info, etc. "No prob, they're being safe" I thought. A week later, a store manager calls asking for the same information and advising that I need to: "GET A TAPE and go measure the frame". Being that I was at work and the bike wasn't, I had an issue. I told them to get the shock and stroke right, I'll handle the spacers and mounting hardware.

I called on the order last week and was told it should be shipped any day now (they blamed the shock manufacturer for the delay).

I am beggining to think that it's impossible to get a rear shock for a bike at all. I have never had anything but problems trying to buy a shock.....and the only time I was successful was with an ebay find that I took a chance on.

Are there any retail stores in SO CA that actually stock rear shocks?