Building a bike...with ~350

Discussion in 'The Market Place' started by TheFarLeft, Feb 22, 2005.

1. TheFarLeft

TheFarLeft New Member

GPA Slave
    hey everyone, :wave:

I'm building a bike on a insanely tight budget: $350
    Off the internet I can't find a full package under $650, so with the help of the guys at SoCalMtb. com I'm trying to build it up anyways.
    Wondering if anybody here could help out with some cheap parts...

(If I can't pull this off I'm going to go the "other" route and take an offer of ~$899 NRS 3 my LBS is offering me =P~ , and build this frame up later in my career - my grandparents are offering to send me some cash they were going to give me for christmass and my birthday if I choose to do that.... but I don't know if that's the right choice :?: )

BTW - The frame comes from Gus Z. / "El Santo"
    Nobody's ever been this generous to me, so I want to treat him with a nice beautiful pick of a complete build....

so if anybody is selling some parts for cheap, I'd be glad to be your customer...! :lol:

2. moochy

moochy New Member

Student
    wait...is somebody giving you the frame? What kind of bike are you trying to build? Do you need all the parts?

3. TheFarLeft

TheFarLeft New Member

GPA Slave
    Yeah the frame is a '95 Marin Pine Mountain and it was given to me for free a couple months ago...

I'm trying to build an XC bike, but I doubt I'll be able to build it up w/ my budget...

and if i did, yeah I do need all the parts (except for grips, rear derailleur, and probably brakes)

4. moochy

moochy New Member

Student
    ok, so you need wheels, tires, fork,bb,crankset, pedals, handlebars,stem,headset,chain, and fr derailuer for under 350? Thats gunna be pretty tough...I have some old parts from my specialized but i might need em #-o if i can't salvage some parts on there...if not they're yours...I think you'd be a lot better off getting the giant though...even if you have to wait a month or two. Go try and make some extra money doing yard work or something. If you put together the marin you'll probably want to upgrade in a lil while and it'll be a waste of 350.

5. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

i can give u an easton stem and handlebars i got for 20 bucks from jenson...

6. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

i might have an extra cane creek headset lying around too..

7. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

Are you doing this for some new TV show?

8. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    :lol:

9. TheFarLeft

TheFarLeft New Member

GPA Slave
    yeah... funny how word gets around.

should've kept is secret ](*,)

:lol:

10. TheFarLeft

TheFarLeft New Member

GPA Slave
    alright so I posted a ridiculously long story about this, but it somehow didn't go through...

so to make a long story short:

I am taking my 3700 and taking off all the paint. I'll paint it pink and eventually get parts for it (eventually..) then I'll give it to my mom as a present or something. Actually, even though I'd like to paint it pink, I asked my mom about it and she said it would look nice really dark green since the components would blend in to the color (keeping in mind that components are usually black..)

I will then clean up the Marin frame, polish it and put it aside for about half a year or a year. When I can afford it (soon if I get a job or do odd jobs for peole..) I will turn this into an SS. A nice one, possibly with a BB that can tension the chain and Imperial Profile (am i getting the name right?) chainring.

A couple weeks ago I got on the phone with my grandparents and asked (begged :lol: ) my grandparents to send me the money they were going to give my next year for my birthday and christmass this week. They agreed. I asked some friends if I could borrow $20 (each :lol: ) and added all the $$ together. Enough to buy the NRS \:D/

And the Marin is not forgotten. I'm sure in several months the SS bug will bite me and I will have to beg even more to build it up :lol: .

... So I bought the NRS and I'm now riding it. Nice ride and everything. I think about riding it during school, in bed, nearly all the time. I'm addicted as hell.

thefarleft :wave:

11. badfishgood

badfishgood I can lick my elbow.

Corporate minion.
    Grandparents rule. :bang:

I miss mine. :(

12. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

what do you use to paint the frame? can you repaint my bike if i get a khs solo one?

13. TheFarLeft

TheFarLeft New Member

GPA Slave
    They do... just that mine live in (and are native to) Spain, so I already miss them now :( don't even want to think about missing them completely.
    My entire extended family actually lives near Barcelona, so I go there every couple of years (EXPENSIVE!!!).
    I of course miss SoCal while I'm there, but the place rocks. I recommend it to anybody that wants to go to Europe.

Grandparents rock.

14. TheFarLeft

TheFarLeft New Member

GPA Slave
    I'm by far not an expert. I'll probably just use some colored spray paint, primer, and the rest...making sure not to get any paint into the headtube or bottom bracket.

15. TheFarLeft

TheFarLeft New Member

GPA Slave