Brush trail clearing and potential fire risk question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ransom, Apr 15, 2017.

1. ransom

ransom Member

Sales
    As a result of our wetter that average rain season many of the trails in SCST are very overgrown with Mustard, Thistles and grass making some single track almost impassable.

Recently I was asked to join a "State Park" brush trail clearing effort coming up this Thur. April 20th at 8:30am. They would provide metal blade weed trimmers, cycles etc. I'm all about maintaining the trails I ride. Much of the Mustard plants and Thistles are no match for a weed trimmer with nylon string. But would be much better matched up with a metal cutting wheel. But with the dry weather and the grass starting to dry out I have a concern about starting a brush fire as a result of an spark from a result of an inadvertent spark from a metal blade contacting a hidden rock. Last year in Mission Viejo a golfer hit a rock with a golf club and sparked a small brush fire.

My question is this. Would I be held liable for causing a brush fire as a result of spark caused by a rock strike? Can I be indemnified against such an event?

I don't know if there is going to me any fire mediation personnel on hand while we would be brush cutting.

Just curious if anyone thinks I have a valid concern.

Frank

trailninja likes this.
  2. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I would think that if the trail work is authorized or in conjunction with State Parks, you're fine. I was at SCST yesterday and it's still green out there. I don't think there is a super high fire risk at the moment.

I'm skeptical that fire in the Arroyo was started by a golf club and a rock.

trailninja likes this.