Breathless Agony 5/1/10

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Brandy, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I'm assuming, not long. It is the smallest "pass" of the event and doesn't gain much altitude.

2. La Flama

La Flama QOM

Jack rabbit is about 3.5 miles long, I believe 800 ft elevation gain and just over 4% average grade with some grades of 9%. Jack Rabbit is not that bad for us MTB people, We did it on our road tandem and had no issues.

3. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    So, what time is everyone going to start here? I propose an official STR roadie send off at 7am! What is everyones goal time/dream time. I really want to go like 6.5 hours, but under 6 would be a dream (to the summit)

4. Docklobster

Docklobster New Member

My friend and I were planning to start around 6:45, they say not to get to the first stop before 8:30 I think but according to the times from the last few years people were checking in as early as 8am??

Either way my goal is to finish since this is my first time for this ride, anything under 7 hours of ride time (to the summit )would be a bonus!!

Looks like the weather is shaping up and I just got my cervelo fork back from warranty so I will be on my road bike for sure.

5. Mdm. Dabalot

Mdm. Dabalot New Member

We started at 6:30 two years ago and all the rest stops were open. I think it took us about 7 hours to the summit but I am not in that kind of shape this year!

6. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

I saw from last year's times that the fastest started at 7am or so...will do some back-checking but I think the first rest stop is about 90 minutes in for the speedy and fly-weights...of which I am not. (Think Conan and the Wheel of Pain...I'm like one of those who didn't make it to the end)

7. Livepe

Livepe New Member

We did pass 3 and 4 two weeks ago, started at Mill Creek and rode to Onyx Summit. Towards the bottom there is a nice shoulder, but higher up, not so much. There were a lot of cars and for the most part, the drivers were pretty considerate. There were a few idiots. I recommend you attach a flashing red light to the back of your bike. They really do a great job making you more visible to the cars. My friend actually had a driver stop to tell her she appreciated seeing the light from a distance. I also wear a nerd mirror on my glasses so I can see what's behind me. I know a lot of people won't do that, just because. I was so happy I had it.

Have a great ride. The weather should be nice. Say hello when you pass three gals with mirrors.

Teri

8. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Any tips on parking? Looking at the aerial photos on Google there is a dirt lot across from the park. Is there parking on the street?

Anything under 9 hours total time (back to the car) and I will be happy. The ride ain't over until you get back to the start.

+1 on the mirror. I hate riding without mine. I feel so unsafe not knowing what is coming from behind. I have a beer view mirror, basically a mirror that attaches to my glasses made from a beer cap.

9. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    Where did you find that rear beer cap mirror?

10. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    Just talked to a friend who's a CHP Officer here in Running Springs. Supposedly, the CHP is going to have extra rolling enforcement for BA on HWY 38. They're using it as a "dry run" for the TOC next month.

Good luck to all riders. I'll be waving from AO on my mountain bike!

11. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Perfect practice for them. I figured roads would have been closed for the TOC, or do they just like push cars off the road ahead of time, then re open it after the riders fly through, but control speeds with cops?

Anyone know?

12. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    It isn't closed the whole day. They basically do what you described. As the riders approach, they will close the road and re-open it after the riders have gone through. But I would imagine it would be a little different with climbs.

13. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Probably Start time for 6:30 or so for me...maybe earlier...it is gonna be a long day.

Here is my pic from 2002...that's me on the right still gasping for air :)
    BreathlessAgony2002.JPG

14. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Gee. You're a little thing. Not at all like Spock! ;)

15. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I am thinking of starting at 6:30am too. I am worried about Gilman Springs road (cars fly by at 65 with not much of a shoulder to ride on) and the portion of the 60 we have to ride one (that is under construction and has k rails along side it meaning absolutely zero shoulder). I don't care if I have to wait for aid station 1 to open, as long as it is after those two spots. I am not worried about the 38 as much as those 2 areas.

16. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Can anyone speak to that is offered at the SAG? Hammer products, Cytomax, etc.?

I looked on the site ad all they say is "4 Fully Stocked Rest Stops with Rest Rooms at each one." Well that is nice but what the heck is available at the rest stops.

At this point it seems the safe thing is to bring the products you need.

17. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    They'll often do a "rolling closure" for road races, in order to keep the road open for the general public as long as possible.. Then the riders only have to contend with the official and support vehicles, and the screaming fans.

If things get a little tough on some of those climbs, imagine being paced by men running next to you wearing only speedos and giant sets of antlers, the devil jumping up and down frantically, and a motorcycle cameraman filming you for the worldwide masses as the announcer lionizes your incredible your grit and determination;) Then get off that saddle and dance on the pedals!

18. Docklobster

Docklobster New Member

Anyone have more parking details? I agree details on the pit stop food selection would be nice - if I don't hear anything else I am just going to load up the pockets with what I need I guess. With the forecast warming up I have no idea what clothing to go with? See you all there around 6:30...

19. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    This was in an email sent by the organizers:
    We will have Hammer Gel available at the Rest Stops so bring your Gel Flask.

We will have “Elevation Fuel” available at the Rest Stops to mix into your Water Bottles. This is a new product from a small startup company that we have tested extensively in our cycling and we believe it will take your endurance to the next level. There are 3 flavors: Orange , Black Cherry, and Berry . This is packaged in 3 ounce serving sizes that you can easily add them to your water bottle giving you 150 calories of long chain good burning carbohydrates.

We will also have Gatorade powder in Lemon Lime, Orange , Glacier Freeze, and Fruit Punch flavors to mix into your Water Bottles.

We also will have a ton of really good fresh food with great variety and excellent nutrition. Well, maybe the Mountain Dews and Bacon at Rest Stop 3 aren’t so great nutrition but you gotta have some fun on rides as hard as this one!!

Don’t forget to ask for a “Damnation Dog” at Rest Stop #2. These are like pure Rocket Fuel for “Damnation Alley”.

Good to know but I'm not about to try a new product the day of a big event. It looks like I will be carrying my own supply of Cytomax and Sustained Energy. Sucks to have to carry all this stuff but when you know what nutrition works for you you've got to go with that.

20. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

^^^^
    I carry a couple of 2oz flat plastic flasks of powder...good for 1.5 scoops of Cyto/Heed...the 3oz carry 2 scoops of Cyto/Heed. They lay pretty flat in the jersey pocket. Given the forecast for cool-comfortable temps, a higher-calorie bottle should last 1.5 hours...and Endurolyting at the top to keep the legs from seizing on the EZ pedal descent should take care of the rest.

Use the flasks anytime the support stops don't stock Hammer or Cyto products...or if there are no support stops. Gatorade (LA Grand Tour, Amgen Breakaway Ride) just doesn't do it for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.