Bike rack for pop up trailer

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by so cal shaggy, Apr 7, 2012.

1. so cal shaggy

so cal shaggy New Member

Food purchaser
    Hey guys, I recently became the owner of a pop up trailer and have been trying to figure out how I can pack my bikes into it when taking a trip. My first plan was to remove both wheels and stow them inside the trailer but then I realized I was going to be taking up precious space for the essential other items needed so my girlfriend who is very tenacious when it comes to looking things up on the internet found a rack that someone had posted on a camping forum. I looked into the rack and it was pricey so I studied the photos and decided it was a pretty simple item to build. This weekend I finally found the time to put everything together and here are the pics. The rack that the bikes attach to is removable so that we can pull the silders that hold the beds out.

Uprights that the rack slides into
    [​IMG]

close up of the upright and mount on the tongue of the trailer
    [​IMG]

bikes mounted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still have some work to do such as painting it and rounding off the corners but most of the work is done and it cost me less than $30 to make. I also use a ratchet tie down strap secured on each side that I put over the rear ends of the bikes to keep them from bouncing up and down. Not bad for a few hours of work on a Saturday morning.

2. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    saved yourself about $250.

3. nailknot

nailknot Member

destruction of material
    I have also seen where they just drill holes in the top of the pop up and bolt the fork mounts directly to the top. They also mount a few battery hold down straps ( like they use in boats) to secure the rear wheels. Use ample amounts of silicone sealer around all drilling points through the top!

4. so cal shaggy

so cal shaggy New Member

Food purchaser
    Yeah, I thought about drilling through the top but I did not want to create any points where leaks could occur so I opted for a ratcheting strap that I connect to a ring that is attached to a 1/2" pipe nipple and screwed into the 1/2" pole mounts that were already botled on the side of the trailer. I like the freedom this design allows me because I can attach another set of poles on another cross piece and have a 1, 2, 3 or 4 bike rack, all I need to do is put mounting blocks on different lengths of wood and I can customize the mounting points and drop them into the receivers.

5. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
  6. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Nicely down! Mine came with a long Yakima bar system bolted thru the roof. Bought the trailer used and have never had a problem, well sealed with silicone.If I didn't have the one I have I mighta bought the one you copied.Are you doing front wheel mounts as well?

7. so cal shaggy

so cal shaggy New Member

Food purchaser
    Front wheel mounts will be down the road a bit, for right now I will stow them in the trailer or in the car.

8. hmanstylez

hmanstylez New Member

For better stability and holding up to weather you could replace the 2x4 with Square Tubing.

9. so cal shaggy

so cal shaggy New Member

Food purchaser
    Just a quick follow up on this rack, I took the trailer on a few days trip this last weekend and the bikes were rock solid when the rie down straps were put on. They dis not even wiggle when doing 55 on the freeway.

10. Evoracer

Evoracer "That Guy"

Mgr
    Use bolts/locknuts, not wood screws, for mounting if you haven't done so already.