Bike commuting

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by EndoMaster, May 2, 2006.

1. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    So with the price of gas being what it is I'm seriously contemplating purchasing a road bike and bicycle commuting to work.

Who else is beginning to feel the wallet rape at the pump?

Agustin

2. RIDE 2 LIVE

RIDE 2 LIVE fritz the dog

SELF EMPLOYED
    i dont blame you! i bought a 73 superbeattle that im gonna start driving. roof rack 4 the old mntbikes! 30+ miles per gal. i live to close 2 work to road ride. 3 miles or so. it takes 5 to 10 mnts to get there.

3. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

i only work 9-10 miles away, i'm thinking about commuting by bike, but not because of the gas price. that's why i got a 4-banger

4. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

Do it up! Now with the long days I'm commuting 40 miles round trip 2-3 days a week (road bike of course). Great way to keep up those base/endurance miles. Do it up for a few weeks and you'll notice a huge improvement in your aerobic capacity and thresholds.

5. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Hey stranger,

that's pretty good numbers. road riding is good stuff, i did a lot of that in the past and it helped a lot when i hit the dirt.

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I ride a lot of road, but I really don't gain much in mountain biking by doing it. But on the other hand my road riding definately improves with my mountain biking. I ride with a few clubs and I tend to stay with the front group when on the club rides. I rode this weeknd to work, to see how long it would take and to just get a feel for the route. It's really unsafe in a lot of areas and I just don't want to risk it. I would love to be able to ride though. It's 36 miles one way and I made it there in under 2 hours. So it's within my timeframe, I just have to find a safer route.

7. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    i would love to ride to school, its just not really practical....my classes start at 8am and its about 50 miles taking freeways so it would probably be about 60 miles taking roads all the way there and i'd have to carry my backpack with my books which would add one weight and take more time, and I don't want to wake up at 3:30am to get my breakfast down and get on my bike around 4:30am to get to school by 8...and thats pushing it...with a bag of books on my back my average speed would probably be only around 15 mph so im lookin at like about a 4 hour ride to school and another 4 hours back. Maybe I should do a drive half way there and bike the last like 15 miles or so...thats where all the traffic is anyways.

8. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    Pain Freak, safety is one of my main concerns as well. In my case I don't live in the best part of town and I do have a concern about riding through a 4 mile stretch. The likelyhood of something happening to me is not bad I would think but why chance it. FYI..part of my route would take me through a well known bad part of town that's mentioned alot in rap songs :-$

I am also concerned about BIG trucks. The most direct route that I found runs through an industrial area with not much of a shoulder on the streets.

I still want to try this out, I guess I have to stop being a pu$$y and just do it.

Agustin

9. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    is it endo or mr. master.

hey agustin,i commute to LA by the metro link,EVERY STINKIN DAY.the last time i drove from work it took me two hrs.50 miles, 500 per week 350$ in gas,1 1/2 yrs ago.its the best i can do rite now,my sugg. would be get an old mtb and use slicks,ive got a cannondale v800 f/s that works perfect,one flat in that time.i ride from union station down alameda to 14th st. ive had my share of fites with semi 's,just stay in your bike lane if possible.let me now if you've got more questions.good luck man.[-o-]

10. Epic_Mtn_Biker

just don't wear red or blue ;) , stay neutral with black if you live in that crazy neighborhood. i used to ride a lot on the road when i lived in the ghetto back in the day, speed & stealthiness are your friends; so wear black and haul a**. :D Like Dirttorpeedo said, ride a beater, just in case

11. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

I may get some slicks for my bike and give it a shot. I live in Seal Beach and it looks like I just got a new job in Irvine. I may try riding to work a couple days a week. I am pretty sure the SA River Trail would get me close to where I need to be.

I just can't believe that gas is coming close to $4 a gallon. I have a 4 cyl but I have to buy premium. I had a heart attack on my way to ROAM when I saw gas stations in Santa Ana at $3.56. My car gets about 20-21mpg...not the best, but not horrible either. I also can't believe that all of these damn soccer moms are driving around SOLO in V10 Excursions @ 8mpg, accelerating the problem immensely. And companies continue to capitalize on the popularity of road-going behemoths, and at the same time campaign hypocritical bullsh*t about "we love nature" and "look at our hybrids". :rolleyes:

The world sure is a f*cked up place. I think that people who drive trucks that are getting less than 12mpg as city-driven commuter cars need to be penalized financially. I just hate getting behind those things. Totally unsafe, you can't see around them at all. :angry:

12. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    Well, I think that people who make inane statements should be penalized financially.:protest:

Quick question: Are you saying that the definition of an "unsafe" vehicle is one that other vehicles cannot "see" around? *geez:-({|= (If u can't see around it... u just might be following too close!)

p.s. my wife commutes to her job about 30 miles away about 2 days a week. She starts work at 7:30am. So, she leaves south orange county at 5:45am and pulls in to Costa Mesa at about 7:15am.

some days she leaves her bike there, then carpools back in, then rides the bike home.

p.s.s. I drive a truck that gets 13.5mpg avg. then again, i purchased a truck cause i happen to NEED a truck.
    p.s.s.s. a good buddies wife drives an excursion. she probably gets the dirty looks and general ill-feelings. you see, they have 5 children, 3 of whom use car seats, 1 who still uses a stroller. They just traded in their Honda Odyssey because it was TOO SMALL for their needs. Transporting 7 people in the Honda was next to impossible considering the car seats and the equipment they generate. The Excursion is serving their needs. Pretty sure they shouldn't have to ask permission to drive one.

13. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    now now gentlemen, sean, drive part way to work,maybe the most trecherous section,then ride the rest.ive got a full size f150 with the small v8 engine, how much sould i be penilized? hahaha j/k.one beer? 24oz fosters no no,. i bought my truck many moons ago before gas was too expensive now i try to ride more. i've got a collection of bikes for different things,get a beater for the food store,three wheelers work great.then if you go out to the pub,it'll also help hold you up if you've had a few too many.hehe. and padre, i agree! if you cant see around the bigger vehicle drop back so you can. they told me that when i started driving many moons ago.back when they named dirt, i think. now boys, come out pedaling!! first one to the top wins!!!

14. Epic_Mtn_Biker

L8 Apeks, i have to disagree with you

If you got the money to burn on a big SUV, go for it, isn't that what free enterprise is about? supply and demand, basic economics.

If i had the extra cash, i'd be rolling in a Suburban. besides it's the driver, not the vehicles, that makes a situation unsafe.

we can't be penalizing people just because they can afford something some people can't. that's totally un-american.

15. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Move

It sounds like that Utopian society known as Europe is right up your alley.

C

16. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

That's fine...in So Cal, though, that represents the minority. *Most* people don't need 200 sq ft of cargo capacity, or full size trucks with 10 cyl engines. Of course some people need them or use them. I don't give a crap about the "free enterprise" comment...sorry. lol. I was a philosophy major, so I guess I tend to look at things a little differently than others. You don't have to agree...but thank goodness there are people who think like that, and see things for the greater good that keep this country and the spirit of it's laws pointed in the right direction. Our laws don't reflect the attitude of "So what? It's America. It's free enterprise. If I want it, I can have it."

They reflect an attitude more closely akin to "What answer would benefit the people more as a whole?".

If more people thought like that on a local level...the way most mountain bikers I've met over the years do (peace, love and MTB is one of the things that got me into the sport some years ago)...we could do some really cool things.

Sigh...oh well. Carry on. Get your wallets out and bend over. But by driving gas guzzlers, we are f*cking ourselves in the arse and driving up prices. That's cool if you don't care and you are willing to happily pay $4 a gallon, but personally I don't want to! Some of the blame is on us...myself included. I think this bike commuting thing is a good way to assume some responsibility for the situation, and to take a small step in the direction of change. :)

Ummm...ever heard of taxes? I'd say that's actually quintessentially American! ;)

17. Epic_Mtn_Biker

I do believe in public transportation and more effiecint means of transportation (motorcycle/bicycle), but the real culprits would have to be the city planners from back in the day that didn't make the infrustructure suitable for a public transportation system to be a viable and effective option for a big portion of the population.
    "fail to plan, plan to fail" ;)

Besides, you're only screwing yourself if you don't have investments in energy. present day returns on those investments totally offset any extra money that you're paying extra for gas :D 8)

I knew you were going to bring that up. :D taxes are taxes, but we're still not getting screwed like the europeans, atleast we americans got deductions so we don't get killed, that's of course if you do things right ;)

It's all good, amigo. we can agree to disagree :beer:

See you out on the trail!! :wave:

18. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    the europeans told us americans to stop being cry babies...they are paying like 7 bucks a gallon. I think sooner or later there will be many more people on motorcycles....about 14 bucks to fill up the tank and on a 600 that will get you over 200 miles easy....yeah everyone thinks they are unsafe, but not with the carpool lanes and also if more people get bikes it will be a lot safer

19. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    At least there is good public transportation in Europe...

20. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    I'm liking Google maps. I've been planning my work commute and like the fact that I can see some of the detail of the areas that I will be riding through. I have plotted a route that takes me through mostly industrial areas. I'd rather deal with a big rig than deal with other negative attributes of the city.

Agustin