Big Bear

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by oskin100, Feb 17, 2009.

1. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    I am ridding from tustin up to big bear this summer and was trying to do some research but didn't have any luck so i will ask you guys to help me out.

Somethings i was woundering-:?:
    1 - How many of you have done this
    2 - How long did it take you
    2a - what rides do you do localy and how long do they take you, just to compare where i am at.
    3 - how far was it
    4 - how many feet of climbing is it.

thanks guys for your help

2. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    Go to www.mapmyride.com and create the ride you are going to do. Then it will tell you how far it is and how many feet of elevation gain there will be, and also where the elevation changes are.

Sounds like it's all uphill...

3. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

There is a lot of traffic.... The back way seems to be a bit safer.

I usually go to Palomar as there is very little traffic.

Cheers,

C.K.

4. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    thanks so far guys. i have dont that mapmyride site but wasn't to impressed by it. I am def. planning on going up the 38 through redlands.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I have done the Ride Around the Bear and from University of Redlands up to Onyx Summit is nearly 9400 feet of climbing.....in about 60 miles.

6. velo-ceraptor

velo-ceraptor New Member

have thought of doing this as well....def. can be done.

with that kind of altitude gain be prepared to breath hard...thinner air.

i did 70 or so miles from outside modesto to crane flat campground in yosemite with a 6000 plus altitude gain on a touring trip last year. weighted with gear it took me about 10hrs.

wasnt in tip top shape but was doing a little under 200 miles a week with little to no hill work for a month b-4 the trip

def hurt with all that gear but not enough to where i was dead for the 50miles up to touleme meadows the next day.

hope this helps.

7. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

Damn! Thats inspirational. Last August chickie and I were eating lunch at the Old Country Coffee Shop in Running Springs and this rider came in to eat. He looked like hell. I asked him where he was coming from and he said Highland. Gulp!

Thats a hell of a climb. He added he was on his way to Big Bear Lake. I told him God Bless because the road gets curvy and you have assclowns from the flatlands driving up like maniacs.

Starting from Tustin, you'd better wake up pretty damn early and bring alot of water. The guy at the coffee shop filled up his water bottles as we were leaving. I don't know how many feet of climbing it is, but its brutal. Bring power bars and electrolyte enhancers for sure. But make sure you practice ---do a long road trip somewhere before you tackle this one.

8. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

if you hit any of the roads going up I'd try and make sure you start going uphill before 1pm as traffic only will get worse and the shoulder is non-exsistent in some places... but maybe you like that kinda riding?

Ghixon lives up in running springs maybe ask him what he thinks?

I've ridden to arrowhead going up hwy 18 its a nice ride if you leave early.

9. lkn2ryd

lkn2ryd Member

Court Advocate, Property Manager
    Get a group together and hire a funeral cop to control traffic! I'll join you! Mid week, lots of blinky lights, flags, streamers, smoke, and a rifle. I'll start training. When we get there, let's do fawnskin. Seriously, the 38 is the way to go. Do it mid week after morning traffic or early enough that anyone in their right mind will still be sleeping. Fuel properly, light yourself up like a christmas tree, and be prepared to be buzzed by cars (not on purpose, of course). Be sure to have someone waiting for you or have an ETA if you don't meet it - send out a rescue party! I have seen people do it, I would love to say I did it. From Tustin - brutal! From Redlands - looks fun:bang:.

10. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    I get nervous everytime i think about it and anytime i am going up a hill i think this is what it is going to be like but for 8-10 hours. My plans so far are to leave my house around 6 prob. with two of my buddys (which we ride about 100 miles of road and 50 on dirt min a week) around 6 then have my wife leave with my truck a few hours later to meet us half way up and refill us and then meet her at the top. (i have a cabin in sugarloaf so the 38 was allready determined) i am not planing on taking anything on my bike as far as clothes and stuf so my bike should be pretty light but what do you guys think is 8-10 hours prob about right. just for refference we did about 80 miler the other day under 3 hours but only like 2500' of elevation gain.

11. JKat

JKat Lover of Cholla

Insurance
    80 in 3 hours???

12. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    yes sir. it was mostly river tails so no stoping we averaged just over 26 mph.

13. JKat

JKat Lover of Cholla

Insurance
    Nice!!!

14. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    my wife did say i was cranky the rest of the day haha.

15. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    About two years ago, a group of 5 of us did what we call the "Super Loop". Started in Highland at the base of the hill - up the 330 to Running Springs. Across the 18 into B.B./North Shore side of the lake to Hwy 38 over Onyx Summit and down the backside via the 38. Ended at U of Redlands.

I tried to find the GPS file, but it's lost somewhere, but I did find the basic stats.

Here's what I got/remember:

83.5 miles
    11,500' of total elevation gain
    10.5 hours in the saddle

One lesson we learned the hard way. Don't do it. The 330 is basically a raceway. People don't/can't see you when climbing the mountain roads. Too many blind corners and not enough of a shoulder. One of our guys was clipped in the shoulder by a mirror. The 38 isn't much better. Especially between Angelus Oaks and Heart Bar. It opens up after Heart Bar up to about Wildhorse Meadows.

If you're hell-bent on trying the climb, try coming up the 18 from the Lucerne Valley. Obviously, you would have a hard time coming that way from the OC, but you're less of a target.

16. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Only done the 38 way and like the others stated it is best attempted during the week.

I started at Redlands U and I think the worst part was from Mill Creek Ranger Station to Forest Falls? or essentially where it goes vertical.
    That road is just a never ending grind, strange cuz it doesn't feel like it in my car:lol: so getting to the "visual" climbing is a blessing.
    Not a bad push to Onyx Summit but the ride back down was fantastic! In a few spots I was hitting 57mph-59mph and you need both lanes to make the turns at that silly speed;)

I did use a single speed so some spots were really nasty but doable....if you hit it during the week let me know.

17. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

I've thought about the 18... its seems a lot more safe. I'm not saying it is a safe way to get up to where the air is clear... but it seems to be the best route.

I've driven these route to many times to count at various times of day....

Maybe you just need to do sart and bring the fat tires?

18. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    That would be interesting. Loch Levin to Clarks Grade and up the backside of the resort.

For even more pain, take the Heart Bar extension of SART to Wild Horse Meadows Rd and get spit out at Erwin Lake.

19. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    ride report

total time - 9 hours 45 minutes
    ride time - 8 hours 6 minutes
    total accent - 12100 feet

The path i took was pretty simple just tustin ave. to carbon canyon till that ended then we jumped on centeral till that ended then foothill blvd. which switchs names a few time to the 38 and up up and up. The ride went pretty smooth only one flat between me and my buddy. There were about 15 - 20 other bikers out on the mountain that I saw. And even a group of 8-10 mtbrs riding up on the road. One of them had on a STR Jersey. The worst part was around 6000 feet something happened to either my derailer or a spoke, one of them was rubbing on the other when i was in granny so i had to use small ring 2nd gear. This was defenitly the hardest and most exaushted I have ever been. But I finished it and I was totaly stoked about that.:bang::bang:

20. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    Wow, good job.

Hey your der might be going into the spokes because of a bent der. hanger. If the hanger is straight you need to dial in the low limit screw.