Big Bear shootout #1

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by dislocated1, May 15, 2009.

1. Kritter

Kritter Member

Suspension Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    I asked and I like Tom and appreciate what he does and thanked him for the fun race. His response on this issue:

"Forest Service will not let me close the roads"

Will round two be the same course?:

"Not the same course"

2. Dukeneverwinter

Dukeneverwinter New Member

I am also curious about the lady/girl that crashed. Anybody know her? or her team, she had what looked like a team jersey on. Also heard that somebody crashed and dislocated a shoulder.

Thanks to cramps I was the CAT 3 clyde that finished 3rd. And lack of fitness + weight.

3. 6spd_monte

6spd_monte New Member

Auto mechanic
    Hi Noel!

4. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    I believe the dislocated fall belonged to a women in class 54. I can almost see her green jersey. She has long straight brown hair. She biffed it in a turn near a truck at 2n10/2n17 (I think). She's real nice and passes me every race..that how I know her:)!

5. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:

Last year they did the last race on the same loop but in the opposite direction. The first climb and the final singletrack are the same but the loop itself was in reverse, starting with a downhill past the Snow Summit lifts, traversing westward along the bottom, climbing up Plantation singletrack and heading back along the top ridge. There really are not too many options up there, except..... there seems to be some new sweet singletrack cut along the east side of 2N10 along that initial climb. Fresh earth, definately single track, starting from about the top of the first climb of the race course. Wanted to try it the weekend of the race, but with all the racing never got around to it. Not sure what the word is from a legal or not perspective yet, but guess if it makes it to the race course on BB Shoutout 2 its legal.

As for the motto guy, I have a feeling he was out there just to see if he can ruin it for all of us..."Lets go up there and f**k with the moutain bikers". As for the folks in the cars and jeeps, this was very unusal. I've already raced this one 4-5 times and this is the first time I saw any motorized vehicles during the race itself. There is a boyscout camp up there and most of the vehicles seem to have come from it. Maybe they had some kind of camp event.

In any case, Tom and TBB deserve all of our thanks and appreciation. They do the timing and organization of most of the races in the US CUP and So Cal State Series, as well as other special events like the American Mountain Classic Stage Race in Utah. Several jeeps at one of their races doesn't lessen the great work they are doing! They make all of the fun we have possible.

Power to you Kris for giving him a call and thanking him!

6. dislocated1

dislocated1 New Member

Fabricator
    Home Page:

Didn't see ya at the start- I saw you on the entry and wanted to say Hello.... I was lucky and got a W in cat3 clyde..... wish there was more of us running, any plans for the Rim race?

Oh... and thanks to Tom and all the TBB folks that out on the race.... I know the cars on the course are out of their control, but they sure did scare me on 2n10 after plantation before the turn to 2n17. I was mid-pass on a couple of bikers and had to abort and file back in because of a car in a blind corner..... SCARY!!!!

7. whybother

whybother New Member

to clear things up a bit...

i had a blast racing, i don't have anything against Tom or TBB. i love the course. i loved the awards ceremony.

i just want a relatively safe racing environment! we all manage enough risks when racing in the dirt without playing Frogger with cars and motorcycles at high speed around blind corners!

Pretty PLEASE.

8. Dukeneverwinter

Dukeneverwinter New Member

I showed up to the start 5 minutes before our class left. Was running late. Unusual for me on a race day. I will not be at the Rim race unfortunately I work sundays and don't have all that much vacation accrued. I should be able to make the next shoot out though. This year has primarily been a weight loss, personal goals year.

9. vukyle

vukyle New Member

I wonder if that was my teammate? He had told me that had narrowly missed a motorcycle as he was descending down a fire road.