Big Bear shootout #1

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by dislocated1, May 15, 2009.

1. dislocated1

dislocated1 New Member

Fabricator
    Home Page:
    Looking for a decent trail map of the area, found the course notes on TBB site. Been up a few times rec. riding but never figured out any trail names other than 2n10 and 1e01.... Thanks

2. 6spd_monte

6spd_monte New Member

Auto mechanic
    Hey I'm entering that race too! It's my first race so I don't have any idea what to expect. Will the course be marked or will we have to navigate ourselves?
    I found this trail map on the Big Bear website:

http://www.bigbearmountainresorts.com/images/ridgeline-map-2005.jpg

I was able to find almost all of the trail names in the course notes on this map. It looks kind of long, do you know how many laps the race will be?
    What category will you be in?

3. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    The course will most definately be marked well so there will be no issue of figuring out how to get around. The course is primarily high altitude fire road with three sections of singletrack. Its about 12-15 miles long, starting with a long fire road climb (in many cases whoever gets up that climb first can take the entire race. Its fast, very fast as alot of it is bombing down fire-roads. Watch out for the sandy areas. And if you don't typically ride above 7,000 feet altitude, you may want to come up a day or two before and aclimate.

As for a trail map, they'll typically post the map on www.teambigbear.com several days before the actual race. You also have it on www.goeladders.com. Its always the same route every year. Sport and Expert do a slightly different route. Try this link for the Beginner map and a gps download (its titled "Cal State Championships" buts its the same course):

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=17683

Now, knowing my luck, they will actually change the course this year so the above won't be accurate!

Its a great race! One of the best is SoCal so don't miss it!.

4. dislocated1

dislocated1 New Member

Fabricator
    Home Page:
    I have been along 2n10, 2n08, 1e01 towne trail, bristlecone and a few more.... sounds like I should have it dialed.... gonna head up tomorrow for a quick ride to just get a feel for my altitude lungs. Thanks for the geoladders link

5. guitarxphdx

guitarxphdx New Member

Full time student/construction
    how do i sign up for this or get more info

6. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Go to www.teambigbear.com and go to Race Schedule.

http://www.teambigbear.com/schedule.php

Find the race and click on the Register Online, in order to register. More info about the race on the site.

You'll find info about the entire SoCal Championship Series on this site. (These are the same folks that put together a number of the the US Cup races).

7. dislocated1

dislocated1 New Member

Fabricator
    Home Page:
    Rode the course this morning. Left the trailhead right at 11:23 which is my start time. Cruised around at a relaxed pace 'cuz I was solo.... Only had a couple of questions on the course, but all in all I felt good up there. Only question I really had was from Pirates to Upperfalline, it wasn't marked at all so I just guessed. I ended back at 2n10 so I musta been close.... Gonna be a fun race cant' wait

A few pics... One of my hoopty and steed above the smogged out IE and a couple senery shots.

Attached Files:

8. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:

How was the course? Did you happen to have a Garmin?

9. dislocated1

dislocated1 New Member

Fabricator
    Home Page:
    No Garmin... it's on the wish list!

From the start on 2n10 it's just a long steady fireroad grind for about 4mi to the turn off to Plantation Trail.... I am not 100% sure that the singletrack I took down was Plantantion, but it was right below 1n54, which was right on my cheesy map I had, it was a fun little singletrack with a couple downed trees and some water crossings. 2n10 to 2n17 was just fast fireroad stuff, boring but the loose corners will get some people for sure! Turned up to 2n51y and started climbing again, it got real steep towards the end @2n10 again... I am not gonna lie I did a little HAB there.... Back to 2n10 headed east back past the top of Snow summit to a little turn off just past 2n06. which I assume was Pirates, good little flowing singletrack. Was confused at to what turn Upper Falline was, but I hooked up on another singletrack that was pretty tech, with some real loose decents with sharp rocks and exposed roots. It was fun! Made my way back to 2n10 down to Fern trail. That little trail was pretty clapped out but soo fun! Hit the bottom @ Bristlecone and then made the grind back to my truck parked at the base of Bear Mountain....

Soooo, long winded story short..... Lots of fireroad climbs with a little singletrack shenanigans thrown in for some good times

10. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    I will be racing sport age 25-30 in this event. How long do you think that will be.?

11. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    I will be racing and looking forward to getting my ass kicked. Haven't raced XC in almost 10 years.

12. nekit

nekit New Member

Software Developer
    I'll be doing this too.
    I plan on going up there this Sat for the course recon. Gabe, you game? Anyone else plans the course pre-ride this Saturday? Any locals willing to show us around? I've never been to the area so any help will be good.

13. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    what time were you thinking about heading up there

14. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    I'll be up there for regular training. Shoot me a PM and we can meet up.

Greg

15. nekit

nekit New Member

Software Developer
  16. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:

From the Bear Mtn parking lot keep on going up Club View Drive until the pavement ends. There is a clearing there to the left of which 2N10 starts climbing up. This is where the race start area is. (By the way, for the race itself, riders will not be able to park in the Bear Mtn lot. You will need to park in the lot accross from the Walgreens at the start of Moonridge Road and bike the 2-3 miles up to the start area. If during your practice ride on 5/21 you want to park at the start area at the end of Club View, you will need a state Adventure Pass.)

Once you start up 2N10 keep on climbing until you get to a major fire-road intersection where 2n10 intersects with 2n06. This will effectively be the top of the first climb. (Remember this intersection since on your way back this is where you will break off onto singletrack.) On your way up though, basically stay on 2N10 which becomes Sugarloaf Truck Trail / Skyline Drive, for a considerable amount of time. You will basically be traversing the length of Big Bear. Just stay on what is the main road as you traverse. At some point about 6.3 miles from the start line you'll see some singletrack breaking off to the right (also at an intersection). This is the Plantation Trail. If you are racing beginner (cat 3), turn right onto Plantation and take it to the end which is where it comes back to 2n10. From here follow the teambigbear instructions on how to get back. You will now be traversing back to the starting area along the bottom of the range until you get to the Snow Summit trails, at which point you will start a big climb back to the top of the range. At the end of the climb you will hit 2n10 again. It will look familiar as it is the traverse you took at the beginning of the day, but now you are headed back in the opposite direction. Once you get back to the major intersection (2n10 and 2n06) look for a singletrack break to the left. Jump into this and take it down. You'll have a cool log pile crossing, and some serious tight singletrack. Plus a technical loose rock singletrack decent. This singletrack will come out to a fire road at which point you'll turn right. Take the fire road again back to 2n10. You will get back onto 2n10 at about the half way point of the first major climb you did at the beginning of the day. Take 2n10 back down to your car / starting area. Once there look for another singletrack that leads out from the start area in the direction of the lake. Take that singletrack for about another 1.5 miles. It will end at another lightly forested clearing which is the end of the course.

Now you'll just need to get back to your car! Suggest taking that last peice of singltrack back to the start area. Its a climb but a fun one!

Detailed map and GPS for download at the following link. Its last year's but most likely will be the same this year:

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=17683

Good luck!

17. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    Myself and a buddy will be preriding this on saturday morning if anyone wants to roll shoot me a PM. We were thinking be up there around 8 or so. So we could be back around 1230ish.

18. Dukeneverwinter

Dukeneverwinter New Member

What tires will you guys be racing on? I am undecided if I want to use my standard heavy Rampage or something light and more skechty.

19. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
  20. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    SB8's in th rear, weirwolf in the front. its sandy on the turns so you want a little bite on the front. At least, that's what I think :?:!