Road Ride Big Angeles Forest Loop July 31st - Anyone

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by FFW, Jul 22, 2010.

1. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Saturday July 31st

~110 miles 10.5K Climbing. This is a big ride and I would really like some company !

Meet at Valyermo/Big Rock Creek Ranger Station on Valyemo Road (Off Hwy 138 Near Pearblossom and Devils Punchbowl)

Start => East on Big Pine Hwy
    - Right on Hwy 2 at Mtn High
    Up and over Dawson Saddle, Past Hwy 39 and Newcombs
    - Right on Upper Big Tunga
    - Right on Angeles Forest Hwy
    Up and over Mill Creek Summit
    - Right on Mt. Emma Road **
    - Right on Tejon Road
    - Right on Valyermo Road
    Back to cars

(** If we need water when we get to Mill Creek Summit we will take a fast slalom ride down Aliso Canyon to Santiago Rd in Acton where we can get liquid and food - then take a flatter longer route back, instead of Mt Emma)

There is water at the start, Mtn High, and Newcombs but nothing after that until Acton. The last twenty miles back to the cars should be a stiff tailwind. Also, bring swimming trunks and a towel so you can jump in Big Rock Creek after the ride.

2. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    I'd like to do this ride, but don't want to drive to Palmdale. Anyone want to ride up 39 with me to meet FFW at Dawson's?

3. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I'm considering re-scheduling the big loop for another weekend. I'll probably just do Big Rock Creek up and back then Big Pine Cnyn to Hwy 2 to Dawson and back. That way don't have to worry about water but still get in ~8-9K of climbing.

BTW: The ride start is not all the way out to Palmdale tho - Valyermo is about half way (Valyermo is 20 miles closer to I-15 than Palmdale)

4. lmnop

lmnop New Member

Engineering Geologist
    Hmmm, interested in the big loop. Will send a PM your way.

5. Beowulf Shaeffer

Beowulf Shaeffer Titanium reinforced!

"When you were in that coma...did you feel your brain getting damaged?"
    :p

6. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

Well sounds like fun can't make it this time...

7. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Well Ok,

may have found a taker or two so this ride is definitely on... I plan to drive the route Friday and stash some water along Upper Big Tujunga and the climb to Mill Creek, and, so I can recon the route - I've only ridden it in reverse once so it's probably a good idea to check it out the direction we'll be going this time.

If anyone wants to ride up from the hwy 39 side and meet me, I plan to leave Valyermo around 8AM but I need to calculate when I'd get to Dawson Saddle.

And Mr. Beowulf, I think I've been in a coma since I hit 40 so I do this kinda stuff to revive - kinda like a 2 wheeled defibrillator. I suppose someday it could kill me, but at least I'll already know what hell's like.

I got on Google - here's a link to route assuming we go thru Acton:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...367811,-117.853775&spn=0.478925,1.056747&z=11

It's about 100 miles and a really fun downhill on Aliso Cnyn if we stop in Acton for food/drink/rest or about 92 miles but an extra 800' climbing if we cut over on Mt Emma road.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2010
  8. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Bump...

Looks like me and "lmnop" are starting 7AM SAturday at Valyermo Ranger Station. BoingBoing and friends if you want to meet us at top of 39 or at Dawson Saddle let me know so we can try to figure out timing. Thankfully it looks like it won't be too hot on Saturday, 66 at the start and maybe upper 70's/lower 80's at elevation mid-ride.

I am going to drive the route Friday afternoon and stash some water for sure on Upper Big Tujunga and on the climb up AFH to Mill Creek Summit. So anybody that wants to go let me know by Noon tomorrow so I can get enough water for all.

9. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Big forest loop postponed

Will try again in two weeks - I've been told to evacuate again due to the fires out here. The air quality is so bad I'm not sure it would be a good idea to ride anyway.