Beware tickets

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    With all the road riding being done lately I thought I'd post this up:

I've got 3 different friends who recently have got tickets for failure to stop at stop signs or lights. One of my friends who was riding thru Dana Point got a ticket as he didn't put a foot down but did a track stand. He says he's taking his bike to court to prove he came to a complete stop as he was at a full stop. Another got a ticket in Ranch Cucamonga, he said he did run it and got caught. Ticket is over 300 bucks! Last friend was commuting home and started before the light turned green. He also says he's not going to fight it and hopes to get traffic school. This one happened in Tustin.
    So it looks like enforcement is on the rise about everywhere right now. I'm thinking with less state revenue they will be looking at other ways to supplement the income and tickets could be a good way of doing it.

2. Dizle

Dizle Gear Masher

Professional Student
    Just another way the mans trying to get us. Thanks for the heads up, looks like I'll be choosing my signals and stop signs wisely!

3. ISuckAtRiding

ISuckAtRiding Homebrewed Components

machine shop owner
    lol wow. for something that idiotic i think i would just head for the nearest busy parkinglot and lose his ass.

4. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Just curious since I have never been pulled over on a bike how do they prove it was you that the ticket was given to? It not like you are required to have DL on you, so anyone could give anyones name.

5. ISuckAtRiding

machine shop owner
    i was under the impression that all adults are required to carry id at all times. could be wrong though.

6. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    So, all we have to do is obey the law?

Tustin has always been busty for bike tickets, I've gotten a few...

But glancing at a few other posts, do hardcore roadies feel entitled to special treatment?

7. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    A couple weeks ago I did a huge club ride in the South Bay. This ride is notorious for police harrassment and problems. They often have a cop following them to watch their every move. This ride can easily get upwards of 75 people or more. I understand the conflicts with cars and that many bikes.
    It's unfortunate that our training consists of grouping up together and taking entire lanes but that's just how it is.
    So the group arrives at a stop sign in PV that is a common place for cops to wait and low and behold, there's a patrol car.
    Thus ensues a hilarious situation of 75 or more cyclists taking turns at the stop sign and each of them putting a foot down and then clumsily weaving off after getting going again. After about 20 people, the cop gets on his PA and says; " just go! just go!!" If he hadn't done that, we'd probably have been there an hour!:lol:

8. bikeadict

bikeadict bikeaholic

Aerospace Engineer
    Funny thing about that. If you break the law and can not proove your identity, the officer can detain (arrest) you until you can come up with proof...

Great book about this subject is:
    "Bicycling and the Law"

pretty well written and very informative...

9. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Not that I am aware of. I know if you are involved in a criminal act they can detain you to determine identity but I would be surprised to see a cop take a biker in because he had no id.

10. ISuckAtRiding

machine shop owner
    If you're refering to me, i dont ride road at all. But if i did, and noone's coming, then yes, i'm going to run a red light. I personally dont think bikes should be held to the same standards as cars. There is some call for regulation, but that's a little overkill.
    BTW, i'm not talking about busy intersections where you're basically playing frogger to get across. That deffinately deserves a citation.

11. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I am a victim of this! I actually blew through a stop sign, but I am going to fight it. So what. Worst case scenario is I don't win and have to pay the ticket. Same situation as if I don't try to fight it, but I at least have a chance of the cop not remembering or not showing up or writing in (I'm trying by mail first).

And to answer some questions....

If you don't have your I.D. they will ask you for your name and address and all that info. I thought, oh, I will just give a fake name. Nope. They get your thumb print if you don't have your license on you. When you get your license the DMV gets your thumb print also. They can match you in the system to get your true identity. So giving a fake name just gets you into more trouble. Best just to be nice to the cop and don't do anything to let him remember you by and he will probably forget the incident and you might get off.

12. dirtmistress

retired
    I replaced the article I had posted with this article. It's in the latest Bicycling magazine. Interesting and informative!

Idaho’s stop-as-yield statute lets you ride safely and efficiently—without breaking the law.
    For 26 years, cyclists in Idaho have rolled through stop signs—legally. According to that state’s law, when a cyclist approaches an intersection controlled by a stop sign, the cyclist must slow to “a reasonable speed,” but is not obligated to stop unless doing so is “required for safety.” After yielding to any vehicle that has the right of way, the cyclist may proceed. There’s more: Cyclists are required to stop at red lights, but once stopped may then proceed without waiting for the light to change, after first yielding to vehicles that have the right of way. In effect, this law allows cyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs, and red lights as stop signs.
    To many cyclists in other states, the Idaho law sounds like a dream come true. It legalizes what many riders already do in practice: roll safely through intersections, treating stops as yields and lights as stops. Furthermore, Idaho’s quarter-century of experience shows that the law works: There has been no uptick in cycling accidents in Idaho. So if “stop as yield” is safe, why not make it legal in other states? After all, shouldn’t traffic rules serve some purpose beyond simply ordering compliance with the law?
    Traffic signs and signals came into existence only after 1914, and for one reason—to facilitate the flow of auto traffic. Stop signs do little to enhance cyclist safety; in fact, they reduce it by requiring cyclists to enter the intersection after a stop, with no momentum, which makes them less stable and poorly positioned to execute evasive maneuvers, if necessary.
    In the rest of the country, cyclists face a three-way choice between safety, efficiency and legality, and can have only two of the three. For safety, many cyclists ride the less-traveled side streets, but then must choose between efficiency—rolling through the numerous stop signs on side streets—or legality.
    Conversely, cyclists prioritizing efficiency and legality sacrifice the safety of the side streets. Stop-as-yield laws make safety and efficiency legal.
    With these points in mind, legislators introduced stop-as-yield bills this year in Arizona, Montana, Oregon and Minnesota. In Oregon, cycling attorney Ray Thomas led the effort; I was pleased to testify with Ray before the House Transportation Committee. Sadly, there were not enough votes to move the bill out of committee, and efforts in the other states also died in committee.
    But this issue is not going away—in fact, it’s building momentum. Oregon considered a similar bill in 2007, as did Minnesota in 2008, and cycling advocates in California were debating whether to push for legislation last year. Oregon’s proponents promise to revisit the issue when the legislature reconvenes, in 2011. The stop-as-yield debate promises to remain heated, though, with motorists adamantly opposed, often due to a perception that cyclists are seeking special rights, and even cyclists are divided on the issue.
    After careful consideration, I think that stop-as-yield is a good law. It would make most cyclists obey the law at intersections. Perhaps more important, it could help foster a spirit of more respect for the law. If it becomes commonplace for cyclists to follow the law, and unacceptable within our culture to disregard it, then public perception of cyclists would vastly improve. At the same time, law-enforcement officers would be able to focus their attention where it belongs—on unsafe cyclists and motorists. Visit BICYCLING.com/stopasyield to read the law and learn what you can do to raise the issue in your state.

13. downhiller91

downhiller91 New Member

cowboy
    i did this last night i blew through a stop light past town curfew right next to a police station ....not the smartest thing iv done this week :-k

14. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Actually they cant search the DMV print database. There has been a debate ongoing over this for fast ID of people.

15. ironsak

ironsak Don't fight the feeling..

from what i remember, everyone needs to have some form of ID on them at all time. besides it probably a good idea just in case you got hurt, so that they can identify u

16. dirtmistress

retired
    If you don't ride with some sort of information you are asking for problems. I carry my insurance card and emergency phone numbers. Plus I carry some cash or debit card. That saved my arse yesterday when I had a total of 4 flats and had to hitch to a bike shop.
    I was able to afford a tube and 5 bucks labor. Leaving me 2 bucks for coffee. You never know if you'll get hurt,having an insurance card saves time in case of a trip to the hospital. No insurance? At least carry a buinch of contact numbers.

17. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    They're now taking thumbprints.

18. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    Interesting post. The cops in this area are going after everyone got everything. They're parked next to stop lights, stop signs and they're out with radar guns for border like speed traps. It's crazy.

I don't have any idea and I don't generaly cary anything valuable. I have a few coins for the air machine, my cell phone and usually three tubes on my at all times. However, I don't ride a 100 miles on the bike either. I usually do a lap of about 15 to 20 miles and then I'l repeat if I have the time. I'm never really that far away from the house. I've been IDing those ID bands that Levi supposedly uses, it might solve several issues.

19. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Most roadies wear the ID bands. Very good idea. I just got this email:

Bret Gross [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 3:08 PM To: [email protected] Subject: Re: Watch out for Stop Sign Enforcement in San Clemente Just got back from a ride to Oceanside. Stopped for a snack at Las Pulgas and talked to three gentlemen who'd gotten tickets this morning in San Clemente at the 5-way intersection at Victoria/Santa Barbara/Seville.The gentlemen said that, in lieu of a licence/I.D. the sheriff was taking thumbprints
    I'm sure that the fatality in Newport last week -- and the revenue -- will keep them motivated.

Forewarned is forearmed: put a foot down at stop signs!
    Safety first!

20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I know there are some things coming down the pipe where they will electronically process the ticket , fingerprint you and take a photo but thats not up yet and I had no idea what they do as of now.