Best/most comfortable type of Bar Tape?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by merc13000, Mar 3, 2011.

1. merc13000

merc13000 Member

Industrial Tool Sales
    Hey guys,

Fairly new to road biking here. I have an aluminum GT ZR4000 and love the bike but the bar tape is starting to wear out and even with gloves my hands get sore quickly. Can anyone recommend which type of tape they like for comfort(type or brand etc) - I know there are multiple kinds like cork, gel etc. Any opinions will be appreciated.

Also - is it worth it to buy a carbon bar to reduce vibration or should I hold off on a higher end bar for a lower end bike?

2. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Some things to try to help cushion:

Put two rolls of tape on.

Specialized makes some nice gel pads too that go under the tape.

I haven't tried it yet but old mouse pads are supposed to be excellent for under bar tape.

I can't say I've noticed a big difference with a carbon bar when it comes to dampening. Some of the newer bars do have a flat top which is pretty comfy though.

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

4. XgoodlifeX

XgoodlifeX Hello

Fizik tape with gel is the best set up. Lizard skins makes some tape that looks like it would be real nice but I have not tried it yet.

5. emr88

emr88 New Member

nerd
  6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Adding bar tape can increase pressure on your ulnar artery and cause numbness. If it's vibration that's bothering you, you can switch to carbon fiber bars.

7. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Specialized Roubaix tape. Comfortable and easy to put on.

8. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    I personally like the Cinelli Cork Ribbon.

9. -dLs-

-dLs- DH Bakamono!

Workin' at a Bike Shop in NorCal
    Home Page:
    well carbon bars with buzz killers helps first. if you dont have carbon forks id suggest those to help as well.

as for the tape:
    Bontrager cork-gel wrap is $19.95 roughly for a set of two.

Lizard Skins (personal fave) is about double that but a much better, easier to clean, and hand-friendly tape

cinelli tape is okay, but i heard it wears through -really- fast with gloves.

Stich-wrap tape is durable and if you're wearing gloves should be okay.

-dLs-

10. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

I don't get it how so?

11. ka0t1c07

ka0t1c07 Full Travel

Grease Monkey
    Home Page:
    If this is the case, I suggest the carbon bars, carbon fork, and Carbon Reynolds RZR wheels with your tubulars set at 95 psi. Carbon frame and saddle also helps too.

12. Jslow

If that's the case ill ride bikes with fat or baloon tires, still wondering how adding bar tape increases pressure on the ulnar nerve... but I do like cinelli gel tape, not much difference from regular cinelli, and the mouse pad idea underneath is clever, I've tried thin yoga/exercise matting cut to fit and the fizik gle things both are nice but lose their cush at some point.

At some point ill fix my roadie from the last wreck was thinking about using a serfas silicone grip under a layer of tape, for me this helps on long days, I'm sure I could do without it if my core wasn't like H. Simpson but waking up to do planks isn't my thing

13. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

My bars are double wrapped. First layer is generic gel tape, top layer is Stella Azzurra Eleganza. I find that the thicker tape gives me a better grip on the bars. Kind of like going from a normal thin steering wheel to a thick sport one. I also wear gloves with barely any or no padding at all.

I've tried thin tape, the Spesh Roubaix, Bar Phat...so far my current double wrap is the most comfortable for me.

If I ever need to get new tape...I'm going to run the Spesh Roubaix tape on the bottom and the Fizik Microtex on top.

[​IMG]

Bars are Easton EC90 SLX.

14. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Another thumbs up on the Roubaix bar tape.

15. ka0t1c07

ka0t1c07 Full Travel

Grease Monkey
    Home Page:
    RS VR6, your tape wrapping looks nice.

16. Jslow

Lookin good nice c.dale

17. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

I tried Fizik Microtex. Looked great in the shop, but it was a complete disappointment. I actually pulled it off and threw it in the trash before I ever took a ride... it was that bad! The material is pretty thin and does not want to conform to the shape and bends of the bar. It's very difficult to get a clean wrap without any kinks, binds, etc.

18. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Same exact experience here with Fizik. Took it off right away and put Specialized Roubaix back on. What i like about Roubaix the most is how it stretches to comform to the shape of the bar.

19. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    As you push down on the tape it will push up and cut off the blood supply. Same goes with a seat. Don't use gel either.
    I was having major issues with my hands and rewrapped my bars with softer and softer material a number of times. I also went to thicker gloves but the problem only became worse. I went to tri bars and eliminated a lot of the problem but hadn't figured it out yet. I eventually wore through the bar tape and then noticed that my hands were not becoming numb all the time. I went to a lighter glove and the problem went away. I now lightly wrap my bars and have found a great glove that works for me.
    I later confirmed this with an article in Bicycling.

20. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

I originally had the Microtex tape just as a single layer. I pretty much felt the same way you did. It was way too thin. There was pretty much no padding of any kind.

Right now my tape feels a bit too thick. I did this basically for the heck of it. I heard about people double wrapping their bars so I had an extra roll so I just did it.

The Roubaix tape on the bottom and the Fizik on top should be just about right.

Pain Freak: My tape has pretty squishy feel (maybe too squish) right now, I've got over 800 miles on this setup and I've never had any issues with my hands. I wear very lightly padded or no pad gloves. I never take anything I read in Bicycling too seriously. :p To each his own.:)

I went an tried to see if my tape would sink and put pressure on my ulnar nerve area. The only place I can imagine where the bar tape can affect your hand in that way is on the bar top and you would have to position the heel of the palm on the tops. My tape is wrapped pretty thick and my hands do not sink in. I have to use a large amount of pressure to really compress the tape. Harder than I would normally grab the bars. The other place is probably the hoods, but the only padding there is the rubber hood.

I ride on the hoods most of the time. I rarely use the tops. I find myself using them on longer climbs.