BB7 Brake Rubbage/constant adjustment

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by merc13000, Jan 7, 2012.

1. merc13000

merc13000 Member

Industrial Tool Sales
    This question might be a little bit silly but I'll ask it anyway...

I have bb7s on my bike and adjust them before every ride(quick loosening of the bolts, bring in the pads just enough to touch, tighten bolts and back off the pads). Every single time I drive 15 minutes to the trail and take the bike off the hitch rack I have to do pretty major adjustment(minimum 3-5 clicks) of either the outboard or inboard pad. My bike hitch rack does require me to take off the front wheel and that is the one that is out of adjustment. My question is there a way to put the wheel on to make sure it's dead center...i.e. spin the QR skewers on each side evenly or something? To me it seems the front wheel should seat itself when you tighten the skewer, but maybe I'm missing something simple...

Any help or tips would be appreciated. I don't mind adjusting the pads, but it just seems like I should be able to go a few rides without major pad adjustments.#-o

2. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    Hmmm. I have BB7's on both my bikes, mainly because they're so trouble-free. I also take off the front wheel to load my bike, but rarely need more than an occasional click to keep them happy. I'd have your LBS (or somebody) take a look at them.

3. Samusick

Samusick OI!

Machinist
    Home Page:
    It sounds like your front wheel isn't repeating where it sits in the dropouts as in it might shift a bit each time. Do you have a pattern to how you tighten the qr?

4. Bigbow

Bigbow New Member

I also occasionally have this problem, but it's somewhat rare that I have to remove the front wheel.

I hope the only answer we get isn't to LBS is it because that's not really worth the time or $$$ to do :(

Additionally, are your brake pads/rotor in good condition? Warped rotors or uneven brake pad wear could possibly maybe be contributing to this.

5. 1SickFury

1SickFury New Member

http://www.1upusa.com/quicknuts.html 1up quick-nut allows you to set it at just the right tension and lock it in so that you're not guessing the tension every time you remove and install your wheel.Works like a charm!

6. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Alway check for play in your hubs it is a common cause of rotor rub.

Dean

7. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

first suggestion is to do only one adjustment and do it at the trail after you take the bike off the rack. if you are adjusting every time before each ride then this cuts it down to one adjustment. second would be to consider XT skewers QR if you are not already using them.

8. propguy

propguy New Member

I had the same annoying problem..I would take off my front wheel to transport then get to trailhead install the wheel and it would rub. I would remove the wheel, rotate it a few degrees, and re-install until the rotor stopped rubbing. Turns out the axle was slightly (I mean SLIGHTLY bent!!) causing the wheel/rotor to sit in the dropout differently every time and enough to cause the rub. I replaced the axle and the problem was solved. I discovered the problem myself when I was doing my twice yearly bearing service. The bend was so slight you could only see it when you rolled the axle on a flat surface.

Keep in mind that the BB-7 rotors are supposed to sit slightly offset in the caliper opening - NOT centered. You may already know this and the following easy way to adjust the caliper, but here it is anyway:
    1) Back the inboard and outboard pads OUT all the way.
    2) Loosen the caliper mounting bolts.
    3) Turn the inboard pad all the way in, then back it out 10 clicks
    4) While holding the caliper down lightly, tighten the outboard pad until it is clamping the caliper (not too hard, just finger tight).
    5) Tighten the mounting bolts (preferebly to the correct torque).
    6) Back the pads out.
    7) Starting with the inboard pad, turn it until it rubs, then back out until the rubbing stops. Pull the brake lever after every click adjustment to settle the actuator arm.
    8) Procede to the outboard pad and adjust the same way.

This procedure will set the rotor in the proper offset position in the caliper.