Banning's Bikes

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by FishBoyT, May 14, 2007.

1. FishBoyT

FishBoyT Why I Like Bikes

Banning's Bikes - Downtown, Fullytown, CA

Can't say enough nice things about these folks,
    "Blue Steel" recommended this shop to me back in January on a simular post.
    -Banning (owner) real nice guy.
    -Paul (pit boss) very helpful, doesn't over sell ya' things you don't need.
    -Jason (Sales) personable and friendly.
    Clean shop, reps. Salsa, Maverick, ect.; good selection great little local bike shop.
    Cheers.

2. nomad

nomad New Member

truck mechanic
    I Broke My Rear Shifter Cable Housing In Half At The Bars On My First Of Three Laps At The Fully Loop. I Was Supposed To Meet Someone At 5:30 & Got To The Store At 5:00 . Banning Took Care Of It Right Away & It Worked Flawlessly . Clean Shop Cool Bikes . What More Could You Ask For

3. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Man, capitalizing every word sure makes it difficult to read.

4. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    I live about 2 blocks from Banning's and mainly use it as my "oops, can't find my gloves & want to go riding NOW" shop. Have only had them do some work on my bike once, when I was building up my Kona from my old KHS ht components & ran into some stripped bolt issues. They got me back to work fast AND FOR FREE. They didn't charge me for the help even though the mechanic had the bike up on the stand for 30 mins or so.

Nice guys, good info and have never tried to up-sell me with stuff I don't need. Can't really ask for more than that.

5. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

It seemed like they had more road bike stuff vs. mtb. They must not have known that I ride mountain bikes, not road bikes!
    Nice guys though!

6. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Bannings bike in Fullerton. Great mechanics and friendly people. More road bike oriented and a limited selection of mountain bikes.I believe they carry Salsa, felt, and one other brand of mountain bikes.

http://www.banningsbikes.com/products.htm

7. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    I arrived at Fully a little early and decided to stroll the downtown area and ran into Banning Bikes for the first time. Initial impressions, it's probably the most trendy bike shop I've been to. Wood floors, decorations, signatures on the walls, black leather couches, coffee table, and a plasma T.V; The only deal I encountered were Rudy Projects at 30% off but they didn't have any Rx ones!#-oCustomer service was seriously lacking as nobody approached me and asked if I needed assistance. Prices are pretty high as compared to other LBSs. Finally, it appears they cater more to the roadie than MTB to casual riding folks.

8. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    This place is a nice shop I went in their to kill time and came out with some tifosi glasses I really was not looking to buy but the sales guy was so nice and helpful I really did feel obligated to buy. They are a bit on the high price side but very friendly and great service.

9. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    They do - Banning himself used to race for the same club as Neil (1x1clyde) in MPLS - ST Paul, *Grand Preformance* (biggest race team in the mid-west) He was a Cat 1 road racer for them. Then went off to be a Pro Road Racer and ended here in sunny So-Cal.

His shop is nice.....Very nice, if your into High End Road, and trust many plenty of people are. Seems like the shop must be doing well, being that it hasn't gone out of business, I've heard that's a hard place for a bike shop to be successful.

Props to the shop! and Banning getting to do what what he loves best for a Job :bang:

10. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Banning just put together a Cat 4 women's road team, and I think stole away some of the Paramount girls--if that doesn't say they're mainly road, not sure what does. ;)

Never been to the shop, but have heard good things about it. :)

11. Hawkear

Hawkear New Member

I'm a Chip Designer in Aliso Viejo
    Banning's may be adding more to their Mountain Bike selection, as they are hosting a Yeti demo on May 10. As it is, mountain bikes seem to be about half their selection in-store.

I couldn't be happier with the guys in this shop - my fiancée and I are actually putting together a Co-motion tandem with them for our wedding, and they have been nothing but helpful and energetic. Any time I've stopped in for quick service, they've been great, and have even helped out with some free tweaking now and then. I'm lucky to live so close to such an awesome shop.

12. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    Plus, they always let me come in even when I'm out walking my dog!

Still have yet to have a bad experience there.

13. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    I don't really get out thay way but their web site is pretty nice compared to other bike shop web sites I've seen. They carry chrome bags which may be worth the trip all by itself.

14. TooManyTacos

TooManyTacos Or Not Enough

A friend recommended I contact Banning's for help building up my steel frame roadie after a bad crash. I called and asked about how much it would cost for an evaluation to see if the frame was worth reusing and the tech (Barrett, I think?) walked me through some preliminary steps to check alignment over the phone. Seeing as how I wasn't even a paying customer at that point, I thought that was above and beyond. I still haven't made a purchase here yet (I live kinda far from Fullerton), but wouldn't hesitate to give them my business. They seem like really good people.

15. VinceM

VinceM Member

Writer/Reporter
    Love'em. The rear hub on my Cane Creek Zonos wheel developed had a lot of play. So I took it to a local shop where they tried to fix it. After a two-week wait, it was hardly any better, but the guy still charged me $40.

Then I tried Bannings and they told me that it was broken and I needed a new one. When I went to pick up the bike I had them take off the old cassette as well as a super tight cassette on my backup wheel. They didn't charge me a dime! I was shocked and even offered to pay.

A couple of times before that I went in for small headset problems and Paul (I think) fixed it right away.

Great, honest service. :bang:

Vincent

16. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Is the Ducatistii still wrenching for them?

17. snakerider

snakerider New Member

New to the area and decided to stop by this shop while my wife was antiquing a few weeks back. The place looks great, but...
    I felt very unwelcome, almost if I was a thief. It is one thing to make sure customers are helped, but I was hounded by employees at every turn. I finally understood that I was expected to be buying, not browsing and left after an employee barked "What can I show you?" in a tone reflecting a demand, not a request.

18. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

I got some extended spindles for my Speedplay Frog pedals there. The service was fast and friendly...good enough to go back again. Yeah, it's a road-heavy shop, but so what?

Snakerider, sorry you had a bad experience there.

19. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    I've only had good experiences at Banning's. I've used them for repairs on my road bike and my mountain bike and they've been fine. I also rode in their Sunday 7 a.m. shop ride and had a great time. I was the slowest one but they never seemed bothered by having to wait. I like the shop a lot. Only bad thing, they are not open on Sundays.

20. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Banning is the Path for road bikes. They got TONS of high end road bike stuff. Found small things like speed play shims that other shops don't carry.

Very cool shop!