Attention Westsiders - RE: Sullivan Canyon (Threads Merged)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by TrojanInsomniac, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Burner

Burner WAWE

it hasn't re-opened

2. pollu_sean

pollu_sean one wheel drive

art
    Home Page:
    ahhh, I see now, I thought it was to be open oct 6th but re-reading the sign it says that it could be closed until dec 15, for phase 2. dang.

3. Orangesicle

Orangesicle New Member

OOOOOOOH. Dirt and rocks. A raw canvas....
    If only I could harness the power of the water yet to come down through there.

4. ViLerocker

ViLerocker New Member

Student/ Golf Course Construction
    Home Page:
    So who's going to bribe the guy in the dozer to give us some fun stuff to work with?

5. Orangesicle

Orangesicle New Member

Imagine the bowl sized berms you could build with dat ting.
    And the gaps...tables...whoops...
    Welcome to Santa Monica's A Line everyone.

6. Fetus

Fetus New Member

I've been on the bike for a few months and just saw this. That's too bad. It was one of my favorite rides.

7. celluloid hero

celluloid hero So is your face

Anyone actually know if it is open again? I thought it was supposed to be closed until the end of December. I'm curious to see how bad it actually is now. Though, I'm sure after this winter's el nino style rains it'll be more like it's old self.

8. Zippo

Zippo Pow Wow!

No, it is not open yet, but soon. They are doing intensive work to prepare for water run-off, and last I talked to the crew out there (last week) they were contemplating putting in some jumps - bike jumps. No joke...though I'll have to see it to believe it.

9. celluloid hero

celluloid hero So is your face

Woah, maybe the trail won't be so bad off after all is said and done.

10. markdochtermann

markdochtermann Elevation Earner

Video Game Developer
    2 more weeks and Sullivan will be open for riding again.

On 10/29, My friends and I snuck in to Sullivan Canyon from Squirrel Cage and rode up to Sullivan Ridge. We ran into the gas company along the way and we successfully talked them into allowing us to finish the ride to the top. They also said that it will re-open to riders in 2 more weeks.

The place looks familiar but the trail is completely gone. It is going to be extremely fast going down now, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't keep a 20MPH average for the entire run.

I think that one or two good rains will start making it interesting which is the same thing the project foreman said.

11. El Rolo

El Rolo its just ahead

THey dozed it before

They dozed it in 1992, I think. It came came back then, it will come back again.

12. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    Just received the following e-mail. Looks like Sully will be open for business this weekend.

Subject: Gas Company Sullivan Canyon Pipeline Protection Project
    Please share this information with your association members and the public.

The Gas Company is pleased to announce it is completing the first phase of it's planned work in Sullivan Canyon by Friday, November 6, 2009. The maintenance road has been re-established and 10 pipeline exposures have been covered with protective revetment mats. The maintenance road now has the articulated concrete mats (revetment mats) in a few areas of the roadway to provide protection and covering for the pipelines. The public should exercise caution when crossing these areas with the revetment mats. By November 6th, the construction equipment and vehicles will be removed as well as ending the guard service.

Minor work to hydro-seed vegetation in certain areas will start the week of November 16th and last for approximately 2 weeks. This work will be during weekdays only from 8am - 5pm. The canyon will remain open to the public while this work is proceeding as cones will be placed and signage will be posted as a safety precaution due to the presence of vehicles and to protect the newly seeded areas. Occasionally a water truck may be used to water these areas to help the growth of the new plantings.

We want to thank the public for its patience and courtesy while we worked to ensure the safe operation of our pipelines. The second phase of our project will start next year approximately in the spring to cover the remaining pipeline exposure areas and to finish the planting of vegetation and the sycamore seedlings.

We also wanted to share with you that our security guard, stationed at the northern end of the canyon, observed a small brush fire off of dirt road Mulholland on Friday, Oct. 31st at approximately 11 p.m. The fire was caused by a mylar balloon (silver metallic balloon) that was loose and touched the power line, creating sparks that set off a small brush fire. Our guard called 9-1-1 to report the fire which brought an immediate response from the Los Angeles Fire Department's air and land crews. The fire was limited to 1/2 acre. We are thankful that this guard was diligent, alert and responded quickly by calling in the Fire Department.

Thank you for your assistance in distributing the information.

Sharon O'Rourke
    Public Affairs Manager
    The Gas Company
    8141 Gulana Ave.
    Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
    (310) 578-2650
    email: so'[email protected]

13. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    YUK! I don't even want to see what it looks like.
    I'll head back there after 3 El Nino's!

14. Makoto

Makoto Outdoor'ist

Rode it this morning and it's a completely different ride. I hope the comment above about it coming back come true. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2009
  15. blender

blender = dirt torpedo =

cee gee soup
    hey.. how about a trail work day!

let's go dig out some new lines.. and a coupla dozen jumps :)

16. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

17. BC3

BC3 New Member

Consulting
    I rode it Wed night and was amazed that they could carve a fire road out of the top section. The grade has been leveled out enough that I'm thinking about converting my old HT to a SS. It definitely doesn't require a DS rig anymore.

Beware of the concrete mats for anyone is riding anything skinnier than a 2.1 tire (cyclocross). The groves would probably grab a low profile tire.

18. Makoto

Makoto Outdoor'ist

Bringing a dead thread back to life. While riding Sully's I was talking to a local who advised more work is in the future. No definitive dates, but here is the link they sent me:

http://www.socalgas.com/sullivancanyon/

As of last week, Sullivan's was still not the same as it was pre-grading...but it was gaining more character with every storm and every ride.

19. BC3

BC3 New Member

Consulting
    I rode it yesterday and agree, the rains have helped to accelate the recovery. Not back to it's original condition but certainly far more interesting than the initial fire road the gas co installed for the gas line repair work. I wonder how much will need to get regraded for the next repair work. My hope is that they won't need to access the top so they will leave it be. Maybe just wishful thinking.

During my ride, I was thinking if everyone agreed to ride on the same side of the path, would the single track come back faster?

20. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Was out there on Monday and saw all the trucks and signs at the top of the canyon. The security guard said it was open that day because they weren't working on the holiday, but it would be closed until mid-June. We went around and did Backbone to Will Rogers instead. Bummer, it seemed the canyon was just starting to show some semblance of its old self and they're out plowing it again. And this time there won't be much rain to reshape it.