Anyone running a daytime headlight?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by madridg, Sep 12, 2014.

1. madridg

madridg Ride Therapy Patient

Medical Device Engineer
    Home Page:
    I was driving last week during the day and saw a rider coming the other direction with a very bright flashing headlight that definitely caught my attention. I'm a little nervous on the road, and like the idea of being very visible to cars with front and rear lights. Anyone running a light-weight and bright daytime headlight that you'd recommend?

2. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Member

We use Cygo lites. I really like them, USB rechargeable so no worry about batteries or bulky battery packs.etc. You can see in the last pic how small the unit is. Has some pretty good lighting. Rear red blinky has an excellent strobe so very safe from behind.

The front has 5 modes, bright, dim, med, strobe and a super strobe!

We use the bright beam riding up hills since we are doing a speed that allows us to avoid just about every situation. But when heading back down we ride a buys avenue (Euclid in Upland) where the speed is greater and plenty of cross traffic at stop signs, the strobe REALLY helps big time. I have descended the hill a few times in bright but drivers still seem to miss the message. But with the stobe, they can't miss!!!!!!!!

Cygo Lite 300 combo with tail light, about $75 but well worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-300-Hotshot-Rechargeable-Light/dp/B00913UY1C

Second pic shows comparison next to vehicle headlights .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Member

2:00 into the video you can see my wife's headlight on during the day.

9:15 the red light in semi dark sky

9:30 headlights in semi to dark sky. looks like a car ha ha!

[video=youtube_share;joTTD_K5UkU]http://youtu.be/joTTD_K5UkU[/video]

4. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

I started running day time headlight and taillight this year. And I keep them in the flashing mode. I run a NiteRider Lumina 650 headlight (super bright 650 lumens) which I paid $105 for last christmas and a cygolite hotshot 2 tailight. Both are rechargeable with a USB cable and very light weight.

Cygo Lite 300 is a really good deal but I decided to pay a little more for a 650 lumen headlight that can also double for mountain bike night rides.

5. stevemacko

stevemacko Member

I have a cheapie light on the front of the road bike, but will probably upgrade it to something better...

6. bing!

bing! Active Member

Dont forget people, when buying cycling clothes, try and get some high visibility stuff. They work even in the day.

7. Congo Kid

Congo Kid Middle Aged Wannabe MTB'r

Commercial Real Estate Executive
    When I road ride, I run a rechargeable 420 lumen flashing light in the front. I have a very bright blinking tail light on the rear of my bike, and I also have a very bright blinking tail light mounted on the back side of my helmet. If I get rear-ended by a car, it's because they are blind (or texting). Ditto if I get hit from the front. You can see me coming from afar even at high noon.

Can't be too careful out there on the road. For a few dollars, good safety lights buy you quite a bit of insurance in my humble opinion.

Jeff

8. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I do. I recently bought a Lezyne Micro Drive and it sure gets drivers' attention. I'm using a serfas Thunderbolt on my seat stay for rear flash. Got 'em at Fullerton Bikes.

EDIT: I like the Serfas T-bolt as you can see it from any angle, including from the side. Most lights only show up directly straight on. I thought the Lezyne MD was the best balance of weight and brightness plus cost. Note, both are USB chargeable.

9. allroy71

allroy71 Member

touching people
    Home Page:
    check out the taz series from light and motion

10. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I use a NiteRider Lumina 750 ($100 on sale) on the front & Serfas Thunderbolt ($40) on the rear. They're plenty bright, even in daylight, and in flashing mode I can ride most of a century with them, though I turn them off for extended stretches on off-street bike paths.

When so many of the cars on the road today use daytime running lights for safety, why shouldn't we? I've watched drivers pull up at cross streets then do a double-take as my lights caught their attention, so I'm sold on using lights full-time.

11. bconneraz

bconneraz Member

I currently run a NR Lumina 700 in the front, a Dinotte 300R in the rear on the bike, and a Serfas Thunderbolt on the back of my helmet. Add my hi-vis jersey and helmet, and I look like a total tool....lol, but so far I have arrived home safe from my commutes.