Anyone else have a bad experience with SRP (Specialty Racing Products)?

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Marshall Willanholly, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Marshall Willanholly

Marshall Willanholly Active Member

Home Page:
    Anyone else have problems with SRP (Specialty Racing Products) / Peter Mendes? I placed an order in January for some chainring bolts. I placed the order online and paid via PayPal. I have yet to receive my order, or even any type of response from SRP customer service. Unfortunately, I waited longer than the 45 days PayPal allows you to dispute a transaction, so I'm out of luck with that potential solution.

I have tried numerous times to contact SRP via their website contact form and also using the [email protected] email address.

According to PayPal, my payment went to Peter Mendes, who owns Waiteco Precision Machining, which has now changed it's name to Peak Manufacturing. I have attempted to contact Mr Mendes through these channels as well, with no response.

I would strongly advise against doing business with Peter Mendes and srp-usa.com.

If anyone has successfully either received their product, or been graced with a reply from SRP in the past 6 months, please post here. I'd love to hear how you were able to achieve such an apparently impossible feat.

2. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

If Marshall advises against doing business with Peter Mendes, so do I... :protest:

Is this guys advertising/soliciting on MTBR/Pinkbike/RideMonkey?
    (if so, might be worth posting on those sites as well)

3. pasadenamtber

pasadenamtber New Member

not sure if you have tried this number but here it is 978-772-5535

4. Marshall Willanholly

Home Page:
    Thanks for the phone number. I'll try that next.

I did a little internet archeology on SRP and found they have been accepting orders and payment without shipping product since at least 2007:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=292380

I wouldn't have thought I needed to do so much research prior to placing an order with a company that has been around quite a while. I have some SRP bolts I bought many years ago, so I figured this was a good bet instead of going with a company I didn't have any experience with. Live and learn...

5. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Note that the Godaddy certificate was updated on or around March of 2010, but the Authorized.net Verified Merchant is expired. So there was some business intent in 2010, it appears.

6. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    Ach. I'm gonna be bummed out if SRP is in turmoil. For 20 years, they've always been great. Not the cheapest, but fine product, and they've always stood behind it & their customers.
    I wonder if the company has been sold
    ...to a goofball.
    Happens sometimes.

Hope not though. I was going to spec their bolts OEM on our cranksets...
    Keep us posted.

7. Marshall Willanholly

Home Page:
    Unfortunately, it looks like they are simply not shipping product to paying customers any longer. In the MTBR thread in my last post, back as far as 2007 they were taking orders and money and then failing to ship product.

More info in this MTBR thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=652205

I liked their products too. It's too bad Peter Mendes has decided to run the company in such a dishonest fashion. I wonder if he was always in charge?