Anyone else doing the Wolfpack Hustle LA Marathon Crash Race this weekend?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by TMS, Mar 11, 2013.

1. TMS

TMS New Member

I've been looking forward to this event since the end of last year's race. It was the most fun ride that I did (on my road bike) all of last year. Looks like the weather will be much nicer than the last couple of years. For me this is more of a fun ride than an actual race as I will be nowhere near the front of the pack. For more info check out wolfpackhustle.com or their facebook page.

2. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    Thought about it but I don't have a bike for that anymore. I also noticed that brakes are required. I'm over 30, Don't tell me how to ride my bike.:lol:

3. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    I'm signed up, but I am trying to decide if I want to go, how to get there, where to park and how to get back to the car. I may have my wife drop me off and then just ride to HB from Santa Monica (should be a total of 75 including the crash).

Do you do it as a loop or have someone drive you to the start/pick you up from the finish?

4. TMS

TMS New Member

Last year we parked at the start and had my friend's wife pick us up at the end and drive back us back to the start (was sort of a pain in the ass). This year we're parking a car in Santa Monica and getting a ride to the start. It wouldn't be a difficult loop but we want to get breakfast and have a drink or two after the ride. If you do it as a loop, check out the wolfpack site as there are some route recommendations to get back to the start.

5. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    Agreed, last year was probably the most fun I've ever had on a road bike. With the weather looking good this year I expect an even bigger group.

Logistics can be tricky, but taking Metro's Expo line back to downtown after the race seems like a good idea. Last year I just rode home (south bay) on the strand and it was nice.
    Either way, this Sunday, 4am at Tang's, I'm there, wouldn't miss it!

6. riiz

riiz Member

Damn, I forgot about it this year.

7. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    3:30 a.m. start on a Sunday, thats crazy

8. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    probably the only time traffic dies enough in LA to close the streets.

9. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Anyone in the SouthBay want to carpool to the start? I'd like to do the ride/race but with a newborn at home there is no way I can get my wife to drive me back to my car.

10. Bplus

Bplus New Member

This sounds fun.. You all doing it fixed or geared? I just picked up a giant bowery that I'm having a blast on.

11. TMS

TMS New Member

In our group there will be 4 of us on geared road bikes and one guy on a fixed/single speed bike. There is a good mix of fixed and geared bikes at this event.

12. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    Is anyone doing Bonelli on Sunday too? ;)

13. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

I really want to since I missed last years, but I'm going to be the Saint Patty's Day criterium in Long Beach (5A + 5B) which starts around 7AM.

If you're considering riding the Crash race, I would HIGHLY suggest either staying at the front of the race or the back of the race. Every year there are numerous crashes near the middle front of the pack because there are a bunch of idiots on fixed gears who don't know how to ride a bike. Not to specifically bash fixed gear riders (I have my own fixed gear), but the concentration of idiotic riders is much higher among the 'fixie kids'.

Needless to say, I expect a lot of pro teams to be out this year after a road team from Arizona sweeped all the dog tags last year.

14. TMS

TMS New Member

Yeah, I saw some carnage last year from people not knowing how to ride/stop. The only AZ winner last year was in the women's fixed cat. Robbie Miranda won the mens geared and a kid from Long Beach won the mens fixed. I personally am not going for the "race" aspect, as that's not my thing. I just like the opportunity to ride throught LA at night on what is basically a closed course.

15. joyride153

joyride153 New Member

Thinking of doing the ride I want to park in santa monica, anyone know where to park there and anyone carpooling from there or how would I get to the start of the ride?

16. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    I was thinking of just riding from Santa Monica until I realized I would probably have to leave around 2am..... on a Saturday night.... as the bars closed.... on St Patty's Day weekend. :lol: Probably not a good idea.

17. DMAG310

DMAG310 New Member

Sounds fun! hmmmm

18. DMAG310

DMAG310 New Member

Anyone actually rode this in the past? whats an avg. time? i looked up some1s map of the ride and it said only about 500 ft of climbing.....just pondering if i should go for it....

19. TMS

TMS New Member

I did it last year and we finised in about 2hrs (one frined had 3 flats). The "racers" do it in about an hour. Me group this year will liekly go 1:30 ish.

20. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    I rode a fixed gear last year [48x18] and it was great until around West LA to the ocean, I was totally spun out and wishing I had a bigger gear. I also realized that most of the racers around me the whole time, were also on fixed gears.

This year, geared ten speed for me. A geared bike will be able to smoke a ton of riders in the last ten miles.