Another MBiker contemplating a road bike.

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by wheeler, Aug 23, 2013.

1. wheeler

wheeler Member

I did a parking lot ride on the Synapse and liked it. Also would like to try the Giant Defy. Both bikes seem like a good value.

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
  3. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I have a 4 year old Defy and still really like it. I made one upgrade(kind of) I went from a triple to a double up front. I got the triple for so cheap it was worth having to change a couple parts after the fact. The best thing I did is get fitted.

4. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    Dan, in all respect, I used to be coached by Robert for several years but that 70ish cadence for climbing is so from the 80s Olympic cycling camp which Robert was a big part of. Many coaches I've read from or been coached by, teach a 90-plus spin for everything as that has shown to be better for efficiency. Now, I do drop into the 80s on longer climbs but I never go into the low 70s if I can help it.

5. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    Doug, try to find a bike that has a similar top tube feel to your mtbs. Road will will be always different from mtb (so measured length won't jive) but you want to be able to set up a bike without a super short or super longer stem or having to shove a saddle fore or aft too much. I'm still riding my 2001 steel bike and loving it. Steel is hard to find except in custom these days but it sure soaks up road vibe nicely.

6. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    Never ever!

7. 9er

9er New Member

Metal Fabricator/Artist
    Home Page:
    I'm 6'2" and run a 59cm Masi Evo. Fun, comfortable and handles great.

8. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

OT. Might want to check with Cannondale, I believe they have a 3cm spacer limit on carbon steerer tubes. Also, you should always have a bit of steerer exposed above the stem to keep it (the stem) from crushing the top of the steerer when you tighten it.

9. vamaro

vamaro Member

I have owned steel, alum and now carbon. Each has a different feel. I suggest trying as many bikes and as can before you buy.

10. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Assuming you ride cleats.. I recommend a road pedal with a lot of lateral play. There's something about the static body position and repetitive pedaling on a road bike that can be harder on your knees than pedaling a mountain bike. Since you're already fit you could probably get right into long rides, and jack up your knees in no time. Personally I like Speedplay though they take a little getting used to.

I'm not sure there's much you can't do on a mountain bike with skinny tires on the road, such as spinning, endurance riding, etc., but a decent road bike will be much more efficient. You'll also want to shoot for a more aerodynamic position, which will mean more of a drop to the bars. That'll help you go faster into the wind, and IMO road biking is about wind resistance while mountain biking is about efficiency and control over dirt and obstacles.

Good luck!

11. SQRRRL

SQRRRL New Member

It train at 70 rpm on long climbs. Ride a taller gear on long climbs for power. It works but I'm sure other methods will work and ever better than the 70 rpm method.

12. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    You can definitely go for long rides on a fixed gear. I've done 50 milers on mine. I know some people on here have done the OC to SD century on a fixed.

13. glance2

glance2 Member

For longer road rides, endurance geometry bikes are better suited. Geo is more upright/less aero, head tubes are longer, top tubes are shorter, chainstays longer and the frames have more shock absorbing features (albeit heavier) than race geometry bikes. The category is growing: Trek Domane, Specialized Roubaix, Giant Defy, BMC GF and Cannondale Synapse. Race geo can be converted to more upright position with spacers or angled stems, but the "purists" don't like the look or steering feel.

14. forge55b

forge55b New Member

15. granny ring

granny ring Not Really Here

kept man
    Carbon shmarbon. Still riding my dura-ace equip equipped Miyata. Does everything a road bike needs to do and I paid for it a long time ago.:)

16. wheeler

wheeler Member

Going to rent a Felt Z4 this weekend and go for a long ride. Need to determine if road riding is for me or if I should get a rigid mbike and put slicks on it for training.

17. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    You're going to love it. Get a good bike fitting done once you buy ($150-300+), makes all the diff wanting to ride the bike. With your current fitness, you'll be able to hang with most roadies. The skinny tires will make you learn not to be twitchy and smoother. Have fun!