Another Cyclist Killed?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by mtbfan, Jul 8, 2013.

1. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

2. Allthatflash

Allthatflash New Member

Photographer/ Owner of Pedal Power Events
    WTF, you got to register just to read the story.....BS

3. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

Just noticed that, too. I am not registered but found the article by googling santiago canyon cyclist. You can read the article, but once you try to drag the link, you are no longer allowed. His name was Kurt Kirkey (47) from Rancho Santa Margarita.

4. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Consultant; I teach bad vs. good.
    I could get this much after a google search:
    SILVERADO – A bicyclist who died Saturday after crashing in Silverado Canyon has been identified as a 47-year-old from Rancho Santa Margarita.
    Kurt Kirkey is the man who died at Western Medical Center after the crash, the Orange County coroner's office said Monday.

The crash took place around 9 a.m. at Silverado Canyon Road and Hazel Bell Drive, Officer Todd Kovaletz of the California Highway Patrol said. No other vehicles were involved, and Kirkey was wearing a helmet.
    He was taken to Western

5. Sprankle

Sprankle Chicks Dig Scars....

Software Development
    Sad, I work with a guy that lives in the canyon. He mentioned it this morning and I could not find any info.

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Western is for head trauma.

7. dpmod

dpmod New Member

Holy Cow, rode up and down Silverado Canyon Sat. with a group and saw some cyclists hanging out on one of the corners on way up with some cop cars parked nearby, on the way back down saw the cop taking some measurements; did not seem like a big deal at the time, no ambulance or anything; wow!, looks like the cop was measing the planter area on the side of the road, wonder if the cyclist lost control and crashed into it or something

8. allenpg

allenpg Member

Associate Creative Director - Copy
    Home Page:
    Yikes! I just rode this on Saturday. I love this route, but you do need to be careful on the descent. I like it when it's overcast, since it's easier to see the road. You need to keep you eye for rocks, etc. on the corners. Hard to see in many areas with tree cover. Hitting a rock on one of these corners at 30 MPH with 23c tires does not bode well for the rider.

9. bkeach

bkeach New Member

Kurt Kirkey was a good friend and co-worker of mine. A very inspiring individual and a talented rider on the road and mountain. His memory will always serve as motivation for me personally to be a better man. As a father, a friend, a worker, rider, outdoors-man and human. Through humility in all he did or said, he became a personal role model, and will continue to be. I am thankful for your friendship Kurt, I am really gonna miss you buddy. My deepest condolences to his family and children, and so many other loved ones.

10. dwrads

dwrads Member

Very sad.. this happened within earshot of where I live. I was getting ready to head out for a ride when I heard sound of road bike tires coming down canyon followed by the horrible sound of an impact. I knew it was bad. I called 911 and the local volunteer fire guys were with him in a few minutes. The local fire station was only about 100 feet away. My wife held his hand briefly until the EMTs got there, it was not good.

Apparently the face plate on the stem broke causing the rider to lose control and exit the road in a really bad spot impacting a rock wall head first. Typical speeds for a road bike would be 30 mph, possible more along this part of the road. He was taken to the hospital by helicopter.

Condolences to his friends and family.

DW

11. Allthatflash

Allthatflash New Member

Photographer/ Owner of Pedal Power Events
    Wow....speechless, my condolences

12. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Sad...

13. tim0s002

tim0s002 New Member

condolences to his family. what a scary thought, RIP.

14. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Beyond tragic... so sorry to read this. My family's hearts go to the Kirkeys and friends.

15. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    I believe this was the man that helped me get home when I got injured a few years ago at the Rawanda 50. Thoughts and prayers going out to all family and friends. Godspeed Kurt.

16. Vinhy

Vinhy New Member

So sad to be reading this. Be safe, STR.

17. fueledbyex8

fueledbyex8 Member

machine operator
    This is really sad to read about" I am surprised not to hear more stories about mtn. bikers having the same issues, (mechanical failure) while riding out on the trails, as our bikes take a good beating!! Prayers go out to the family, If there is anything we can help w/ you got my support!!

18. bkeach

bkeach New Member

It most likely was, he volunteered every year with the sweep.

19. kevinator

kevinator Staying hydrated

I was the rider with Kurt that morning, and yes, the lower stem faceplate bolt head sheared off. We were a few feet apart coming through the right hand turn when I heard it snap behind me then watched him straight-line into the wall and ravine. I believe it was your wife I yelled at to call 911 as I turned my bike around, so thank you both for your quick reaction. All I could do was try and stabilize Kurt's head and body until EMT's arrived, which happened in about 8 minutes. CHP and OC Fire showed up a few minutes later, and to be clear, he was not airlifted (to my knowledge). Freak accident that took a friend, husband and father away in a fraction of a second. His good friend John's wife dropped me off at home and they went straight to Western Med when he notified me a few hours later that Kurt had passed. I can only imagine the world of hurt they must be going through right now. If you know them, please reach out to support them. Thank you.

20. jham65

jham65 New Member

Kevin-you were amazing. You stepped in and stayed with Kurt while I was running around trying to get help and feeling helpless. Those 8 minutes seemed like forever. And thank you to all those who helped, especially DW for calling 911 when I discovered I had no cell service and his wife for sticking around after the took Kurt and offering the use of a phone.

For those who knew Kurt you will understand the scale of this loss. He was truly amazing in all aspects of life. I aspire to be the father he was. My heart goes out to his kids, wife, family and friends. We will get through this.

A memorial fund has been set up for Kurt's two kids, 11 and 14. If you are able to provide a donation to support the family, I encourage you to do so. Any amount would be appreciated.

You can mail a check directly to the bank.

Schools First Federal Credit Union
    P.O. Box 11547
    Santa Ana, CA 92711

Account Number 222884-02 (Remember to include the account number in the memo section of your check)
    Made out to the Kurt Kirkey Memorial

Or you can send a donation through your online bill pay

Depository Name: Schools First Federal Credit Union
    Routing transit Number: 322282001
    Address: P.O. Box 11547 Santa Ana, CA 92711

Share: 02
    Description:
    Kurt Kirkey Memorial
    Account Number
    : 222884-02

Thank you
    JH